• Blackbox
    • Fluxbox
    • FVWM
    • TWM
    • IceWM
    • Other (Please Specify)

97 posts in this topic

i tried to install KDE4 RC1 but it crases when i select it :(

Sorry to hear that. I have installed a second instance of 10.3 in another partition, including KDE4. Then I have upgraded it to RC1. It works reasonably well, within its limits (it is rather buggy).

• 3 months later...
That is obvious. But not the percentage, that shouldn't.

The high percentage could be due to the fact that Ubuntu is on of the most known distros so new users to linux are more likely to use it.

Ubuntu is also targeted at people with no experience to linux and these people are more likely to need help solving problems than more experienced users.

The best thing about the Ubuntu distro is the comunity anyway.

The high percentage could be due to the fact that Ubuntu is on of the most known distros so new users to linux are more likely to use it.

Ubuntu is also targeted at people with no experience to linux and these people are more likely to need help solving problems than more experienced users.

The best thing about the Ubuntu distro is the comunity anyway.

Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I fail at installing the real Debian."

i'm using Gnome with Compiz-Fusion, because i really like the look and feel of it.

KDE looks kind of overloaded and isn't userfriendly at all if you ask me.

screenshotxw4.th.jpg

.nomac

Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I fail at installing the real Debian."

An old one, but still very good :P

As to KDE vs. GNOME, here GNOME gets slightly more votes because the majority of people use Ubuntu.

However at LinuxQuestions.org, one of the oldest and most respected Linux communities, KDE is a clear winner:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/20...he-year-610190/

As to KDE vs. GNOME, here GNOME gets slightly more votes because the majority of people use Ubuntu.

Yeah I bet. :(

That's no real argument because of kubuntu, which is packaged with KDE.

More peolple use gnome. What's the fuss about it?

That's no real argument because of kubuntu, which is packaged with KDE.

Yeah, but Ubuntu is a lot more used than Kubuntu.

More peolple use gnome. What's the fuss about it?

Nothing, just considering that at an old, respected Linux site like LinuxQuestions.org a lot more people voted for KDE.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I love Linux so much again that I am going back to it. Slackware, yeah, that will do. With KDE of course. I just want opinions; is it worth the OSx86 partition??

I think I love Linux so much again that I am going back to it. Slackware, yeah, that will do. With KDE of course. I just want opinions; is it worth the OSx86 partition??

I've not tried Slackware since 11.0 came out, I've just been in that mood where I just want it to work and GNOME dont come with Slackware. I used to compile my own GNOME and kernel in 11.0. Need to be in the mood to use Slackware :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Try this:

sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop

If will make your life easier.

I use gnome with compiz.

That's only mostly for Debian or APT enabled distros. But on slackware you can install something called "Slaptget"