• Blackbox
    • Fluxbox
    • FVWM
    • TWM
    • IceWM
    • Other (Please Specify)

97 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey AcePlayer, you might try Kubuntu. It is ubuntu with KDE instead of GNOME and looks a lot better/easier. It is part of the Ubuntu project so everything you read about for ubuntu, you can do in kubuntu. Enjoy.

Hey AcePlayer, you might try Kubuntu. It is ubuntu with KDE instead of GNOME and looks a lot better/easier. It is part of the Ubuntu project so everything you read about for ubuntu, you can do in kubuntu. Enjoy.

Thanks a lot dude. I might just do that. :dance_24:

I'm a Gnome guy, but I do use KDE on my old PIII 1Ghz I have at home. I like fluxbox as a WM too. Beryl/Compiz/AIGLX/XGL are all slightly overrated. The features are all nice and all, but it's just eye candy.

Kubuntu (KDE), but I installed the GNOME package into Kubuntu so I could play around with it. I like both, but KDE is prettier. GNOME seems like it's more about practical use, and less about visual effects, while KDE manages to balance the two nicely.

Can't wait for KDE4... might just install an alpha for the hell of it.

I use GNOME. Mainly out of habit.

Originally I was a KDE guy, but I got sick off the effects and eye candy slowing down my very old machine. Now I'm used to GNOME i doubt I'll change.

Although i often use IceWM on older machines or test machines as it's so simple and fast.

• 2 weeks later...

CDE FTW!

Not. If I'm using an OS other than OS X or Windows with an X implementation, I usually go for Gnome, but on some of the slower machines I have to use, fluxbox tends to be my choice of the day. That said, it's uncommon for me to be using a GUI at all on anything other than my own machine - most of my Un*x sysadmin work is done in emacs trhough an SSH session.

• 1 month later...

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Till Kamppeter wrote:

>

> Frederic told that the options from the PPD file are intentionally mot

> listed in the printing dialog, the usability team of GNOME was against

> listing these options. They clutter the dialog and can be more confusing

> than useful to the user.

I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of

Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will

use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long

since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use KDE.

Linus

so thats what i gotsta say.

I voted KDE because its really easy to use and the layout just makes sense. When Im using a Linux distro with KDE as the Desktop Environment I dont have to sit and think "Ok.. Im using KDE now.."

When my sister came to see me in Leeds, in July 2004, I created a user account for her, with KDE as the default.

She had never used Linux before. She told me that KDE felt immediately familiar. She didn't like Gnome very much.

Before Ubuntu, it was common wisdom that KDE was the best desktop environment for Windows switchers. I am still of that opinion. Besides I still find KDE the most feature rich and intuitive DE out there.

KDE

If I had and wanted to spend infinite time configuring stuff I would use FVWM, some of the window managers which actually MANAGES windows and just doesn't look fancy (ratpoison and similair) might be nice to.

But KDE is that I prefer.