Mac OS X defrag

Black Mac

6 posts in this topic

• 5 weeks later...

Hello there :)

i tried iDefrag on a 10.4.8 Intel hackintosh (Dell 3Ghz,1GBram, 120 Sata HD,..) and dont get bootable CD/DVDs with this addon tool to burn a iDefrag disk. It says that the burning process was succesfull but when i reboot it does not boot from this defrag disc.

Does someone experienced the same problem?

It would be nice to be able to do a full defrag not just a quick one.

Thanks for reading this ;)

OS X has built-in defragging at the filesystem level.

This will only work however if you actually have some free space left on the hard disk for everything to move around.

Note, I am referring to Disk Defragmentation, not Disk Optimization.

Defragmentation puts chunks of data together so you do not have empty sectors spaced randomly across your disk.

Optimization does the same thing, but makes sure that you have contiguous files instead of simply contiguous space.

iDefrag will handle drive optimization for you if that is in fact what you need.

How are you determining that you do indeed need to defragment your hard disk?

Eh, well, OS X defrags files below 20MB in size in the background as part of the filesystem.

iDefrag will yeah, optimize and defrag those files that are larger in size, I have the program, bought it, used the bootable DVD the first time and am using the quick on-line defrag ever since.

Most people won't need to defrag their data as OS X does a very good job of it on it's own, but I've always had some obsessive compulsiveness to keep all my data clean and neat and tidy anyway.