Single / Master / Slave / CS are not the only IDE options...

JustInSane

1 post in this topic

This problem killed days of my time and left me dumbfounded upon fixing it. Check this out.. I had an HDD with Jaguar installed and working on a B&W g3 rev 1 (the one with the crappy ide controller). I pulled the HDD, and set it to slave to image it on another computer (to back it up).

1. I put a new HDD (using master or single setting) in the g3, installed jaguar, and reboot hangs with lines.
  2. Cleared PRAM, and reboot hangs with prohibitory sign.
  3. Set the old known working HDD to master, and put it back in the machine (alone), and hangs on boot.
  4. Tried hundreds of things, like using dd to put the working image on the new HDD, installing OS 9 and xpostfacto, etc

Long story short, it turns out that the original drive (a WD1200) will not work in the old b&w g3 as a master, or slave (didn't try CS and single is not an option).. but rather with one master pin shorted with a slave pin - ie, the factory configuration which is undocumented. Someone just told me that it's a NONE setting. :) WTF? I just lost 3 days because Western Digital did not bother to document the 'none' setting, and the rev 1 IDE controller only works on the NONE setting, not master.

I hope this report saves someone from the grief it caused me.

Update: So WD did document it, just not on the drive. They are making this distinction: Single (standard) vs. Single (neutral) - each having different jumper settings that means the difference between a hang and proper operation on a b&w g3.

Edited by JustInSane