Monitor Video VS. TV Video

BreakTheChains

7 posts in this topic

Ok I'm pretty sure that my computer monitor is capable of displaying Hi-def video. My TV is capable of progressive scan. When I play a DVD on my DVD player (also progressive scan capable) it looks nice and sharp but when I play it on my computer it looks like normal video. I checked the options in the DVD Player menus and it said that I could play DVDs with 1080 video if the DVD had it. If it's capable of that then why can't it play in progressive scan?

If the DVD player in my computer outputs binary data and not a signal of any sort then why couldn't the quality be better?

Thanks for putting up with my stupid question.

By the way (I don't know if this makes any difference), my computer is a Macbook and I use Mac OS X.4.8. Maybe the monitor is the problem?

I'm not going for 1080p. It's 720p. My DVD player has component cables attached to it that out put the video signal as three signals. I want to know why my computer can't do the same thing. All it's doing is using electricity not a signal like a TV and DVD player would so it should look as good if not better.

alright thanks. Now I have one more question but not really quality related.

I have a Macbook which I'm pretty sure is Widescreen. When I play widescreen movies it still has the letterbox (black spaces on the top and bottom). Are widescreen movies supposed to play like that anyways or should it take up the entire screen.