Movie files converting without sound in iTunes

rollcage

7 posts in this topic

My cousin got a 30gb video ipod for christmas, and she's been trying to load movies on it. We don't live near each other, so it's all been over phone. She called me that she was having trouble getting stuff to load on from iTunes. She had them in the wrong format, so I told her to right-click on the movie in iTunes (she's on Windows XP), and select "Convert selection for iPod". The video converts correctly, but the sound seems to be lost in the process. She's using iTunes 7 by the way.

Thanks for the assist :)

Edited by rollcage

I'm not entirely sure, but here's what I think the problem is:

iTunes converts videos in two seperate streams: an audio and a video stream. The thing is, not all movie files have two seperate components to them, and are muxed into one stream only. In this one stream, iTunes sees only the video (because in general, it's video with audio, not the other way around. Otherwise, they wouldn't be "movie" files!). This causes it to convert what it sees, and it assumes that there simply was no audio stream in the original file (which, as I explained, was kind of true in that the audio isn't seperated).

Such files (one stream) are referred to as muxed files, and to seperate the audio from the video is to demux them.

Solution: demux the file, or convert it into a format which will demux it in the process.

I would suggest the latter, because if you're dealing with a muxed file to begin with, even demuxing it will probably result in a file the iPod cannot read, so you'll have to reconvert it eventually.

If she's on Mac OS, have her get iSquint (freeware) and convert the file to an mp4. I recommend using H.264 encoding because the file will be significantly smaller, but will take longer to encode. From there, just dropthe file into iTunes. Use the setting for TV, quality "go nuts" if you ant the best quality, or choose whatever is suitable if that's no good.

If she's on Windows, get videora ipod converter, and have it spit out a file that's iPod compatible (ajust the settings... sorry, I don't use this program!) and again plop it into iTunes.

Either way, she'll have an iPod ready file and she'll be able to sync it without a problem.

Post back!

-Urby