Audio support for SigmaTel 9274D (BadAxe2)?

bofors

62 posts in this topic

HI~! Can i get your 9274D_codec_dump.txt ? ^^

my bad axe2 is on 9274D~!

To obtain the result of working sound I installed my system with the original JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel only dvd. (This was over a month ago, so probably you could use the latest updated version / check demonoid) During install I selected Mifki's kernel.

I noticed the interface was the wrong speed. After consulting the forum I came along the following thread:

OSX stability BadAxe2 with E6600 above 3.6 Ghz

It has the link to the DaemonES kernel of november 7th 2006, which i have installed and you can download here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=5798

To change the [mach_kernel] manually you can follow one of RammJets' many guides:

Installation Guide (Mac Genius Bar)

Furthermore there is the issue of the typo in the manual. As I have noticed with Ubuntu LiveCD the hardwareID of the BadAxe2 is Sigmatel9274D.

But :blink:

As I have read on Intel's website, there are 2 versions of the BadAxe2. The only difference is the Sigmatel Audio chip used.

BadAxe2 A: SIGMATEL9227

BadAxe2 B: SIGMATEL9274D

Therefore, my 9274D_codec_dump.txt may not work. It may well be that your BadAxe2 has a different sound chip. Now you may be tempted to download a [9227 codec_dump.txt] somewhere from this forum, but It might be that the BadAxe2 actual audioplug adress/ID is different from for example the BadAxe1.

I hope I may shed sound on your difficulty :P

//rued

• 3 weeks later...
ps My respect goes out especially to Bofors. Dude, you have lead me on the path of my current hackintosh, solid!

I couldn't agree more. I built both my hackintoshes according to his threads.

There hasn't been another hackintosh hardware expert like bofors.

Anyone get sound in working? I tried Taruga v1.5 and 1.6 with STAC9274D_83847621.txt

Badaxe2, SigmaTel 9274D. OSX 10.4.8, with update to 10.4.9.

Sound out works. Does not show line in, but microphone shows, which does not work.

This is my results from Taruga. Do others get the same results? Shouldn't there be front in and out and back linein and mic?

AppleHDA Patcher - 2006/2007 Taruga v1.16

* Patching AppleHDA.kext to 0x83847621 Done

* Checking AppleHDA for patch Done

0001f4a7 cmpl $0x83847621,%eax

0002058b cmpl $0x83847621,%eax

* Checking for SPDIF Out Detected

* Checking for SPDIF In Not Detected

* Creating AppleHDA configs

* Using the following nodes in pathmap

Back Mic: 7 27 21 11

Speaker : 13 2

Spdif Out: 33 30

* Copying new config to destination Done

* Repairing Permissions

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk1s2 Mac HD

Determining correct file permissions.

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Verify/repair finished permissions on disk disk1s2 Mac HD

* Deleting Extensions Cache Done

I get the weirdest thing when I try to use Taruga's patch, all versions of it. In 10.4.8 as soon as I drag the codec dump onto the HDA patcher app I get a kernel panic. Now, if I upgrade to 10.4.9 itworks just fine and I get audio. You might ask why don't I just keep 10.4.9? Well, simply because for some weird reason 10.4.9 makes my processor slower. In 10.4.8 System Profiler shows the real type and speed of my processor, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz. However, as soon as I updatethe system to 10.4.9, it shows 1.8 Ghz, and it's not only the number it displays (I wouldn't really care if that was the only problem), but also the fact that my processor indeed works slower. I ran both Xbench and Geekbench and it shows a big difference (I can't recall now exactly, but I believe Geekbench gives me 3378 under 10.4.8 and then around 2500 in 10.4.9). So, did anyone run into the same problem in 10.4.8? I'm not going to upgrade to 10.4.9, unless there is some kind of patch to make it recognize the full processor speed.

there are two ways to fix the processor issue in 10.4.9. get the latest kernel or just edit the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist. Change the Kernel Flags to looks to like:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>fsb=266</string>

That worked absolutely perfect. Now I have sound coming out of my coaxial digital output, in 10.4.9, and my processor speed is accurately recognized!

Is there a benefit in getting the latest kernel as opposed to just changing the kernel flags in the boot.plist file? If so, where can I get the latest kernel?

Thanks again.

the new kernel is suppose to solve an issue with "kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "com_mifki_r3d3"" showing repeatedly on the system log. maybe other things, not sure. there should be a link somewhere on the board here for the new kernel, can't remember.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've tried Taruga's AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 and 1.16 with the STAC9274D_83847621.txt. to no avail. It leaves me with the

* Detected unsupported Codec

Exiting... :P

message.

I've read 95 pages of the "AppleHDA Solution - Work in progress, LineOut,LineIn,HeadPhone,SPDIF,Mic working" posts, without success.

I guess its time I actually start hacking.

If anyone can lend some direct advice on where to begin fiddling, or perhaps a primer site for working with/altering/manipulating kext files?

Hoping to get some sound running...My other opton is a recommended mac compatible sound card. Will I have any less trouble with a pci card that sells a recording package alongside?

i have 10.4.9 sound out working fine. sound in does not work and no one has responded about getting it working. so if you want sound in then you would need to get something like firewire,usb or pci.. did you see there is an audio update from apple for 10.4.10. maybe you need the the audio update.

Thanks for the reply Sir Mac...

I did the 4.10 update and I believe the sound update came with it, I didn't have working sound before so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I do ultimately want an audio in solution, and I ve recently read that there is little..if any... support for PCI in hackintosh. Thee are a few reports of cards being functional,but since there is no PCI bus support in MacPro, it makes sense there would be little recognition in non-apple machines.

That being said there are reports of PCI hardware working without being identified.

There are evidently problems with pcie cards sucking up excessive processor resources, so there are no (any?) vendors for such.

DaveGee did you have any success with your sound?

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know whether or not theres a problem with the Badaxe 2's sound via Uphucks 10.4.9 install? 

I'm abit of a noob and all of this kernal editing etc sounds quite intimidatin

and confusing...  :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have 10.4.9 with semethex 8.8.1 kernel and i even replaced the kernel with the one in the last page and everyime i drag the txt i get instant kernel panic. wierd thing was right after i switched kernel i dragged the txt and it actually ran the program and said invalid codec, but ive tried to do it like 20 times after and i keep getting kernel panic. id upgrade to anothe kernel but i dont wanna fubar my system, i hate changing kernels i always seem to mess up my system cause its not compatible or whatever.. anyone know if theres a newer kernel that will work 100% with the 975xbx2kr bad axe 2 mobo and a q6600 ? cause i just built this system and it needs some sound. i dont even care if its 5.1 or mic in or whatever..

or if someone wants to share a kext if thatll work ill do that too...

drunknbass,

are you using the AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16? are you dragging the STAC9274D_83847621.txt file onto the patcher?

it should not KP from that.

it is possible, if you are getting a kernel panic it might be a problem with your hardware. maybe your memory.

maybe your AppleHDA.kext file has the wrong permissions. repair permission first.

the 10.4.10 update also updates the kernel. 10.4.10 update solved a few minor issues. no audio issues so far.

yea i repaired permissions and dragged the txt onto the icon and the app opens cause it asks me the password to run. then instant panic.

and after reboot i fix permission snad they are altered. so the patcher does something cause it messes with my permissions. i tried 1.15 ad 1.16

and this isa brand new system and a pretty fresh install of osx (one week) so i doubt the memory is bad, system runs real good.

what 10.4.10 upgrade did you use with your system? also can i se your kext maybe i can just drop it in my extensions and make it work.

drunknbass,

the update is just called "Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update Only" and is 138.6MB.

as far as the memory goes. i had my system working, but it was kernel panicing from different things. i finally realized it was the memory. the memory was suppose to be 4-4-4-15 at 1.9v. after setting it back to 5-5-5-15 at 1.8v no more kernel panics.

you can try this kext. it is from a 10.4.10 system. not sure if it would cause any issues with 10.4.9.

I also used my own dump. not the one listed on here, but it is not much different.

hope it works for you.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

• 2 months later...

Apply to Upchuck 10.4.9 1.3 dvd:

If you have the sigmatel audio card on your Intel Bad Ax2 motherboard and it says that the version is a sigmatel9247D you may have found your were frustrated with installing the kext as there doesn't seem to be a kext for this version. If you tried the sigmatel9274D with no luck don't worry, the trick only involves a changing of two numbers. Here is what to do:

Download this file, provided by the above posters: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=8191

Save the file to the desktop. When you save make sure it is in PLAIN Text. As others have noted rich text will not work with AppleHDAPatcher 1.16.

Download AppleHDAPatcher 1.16 and leave it on your desktop.

Open up the Sigmatel9274D file and change the first line to read: Codec: SigmaTel STAC9247D note all I did was change the place of the 7 and 4 to read 9247D instead of 9274D.

Save as plain text format and change the name accordingly, ie. swap the 74 to a 47 in the file name.

Next drag the txt document you just created right on top of the frog icon, if you hover over the icon long enough you will see that it will accept it. Try several times to get it directly ontop of the frog icon. Type in your password when prompted. The patcher program you downloaded does everything else. It will state that it found the out but not the in. Also, it will begin verifying the kext so the kernel will scroll as permissions are accessed and the new code is applied to the rest of the kernel. This patcher is one of the easiest patcher apps I have seen. When prompted, shut down. I like the machine to be completely off then start machine.

Things to remember. Check sound by playing a song in itunes or a dvd. Also, in About this Mac, and under more info, the audio will state that there is no device. If you have sound then the patcher did its job. Remember, you just fooled OSX by cross applying a codec from Linux so OSX's hardware profiler won't recognize the audio card, but the kernel will recognize the device and use it accordingly. I hope this helps.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I´ve sucessfully installed leopard on my badaxe2, excepting the sigmatel stac9274d and the marvell sata controller. the dump of the stac9274d codec on the hda patcher 1.17 says "unsupported codec" Everything worked fine with 10.4.10

any ideas?

apooo

• 2 weeks later...

I run Vanilla Leo on EFI. Everything works fine except audio.

I try STAC9247D_83847621.txt with AppleHDAPatcher17. Everything was going well. reboot with "-f". but, no sound and "No output devices found" on System Preference.

I remove AppleHDA.kext & ALCinject.kext and retry. same result.

I get dump from Ubuntu (cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 > STAC9247D.txt). this file looks similar to

STAC9247D_83847621.txt. I redo everything with this file. I get exactly same result.

Anybody use a badaxe2 + EFI + Leo ?

Any idea ?

Apooo: can you send begining of your dump ?