Audio support for SigmaTel 9274D (BadAxe2)?

bofors

62 posts in this topic

I want to get working on support for at least stereo output on the new Intel BadAxe2 motherbroad (SigmaTel 9274D) but not really sure where to start because I have not had to deal with this type of audio problem before (as there has been always been an version of AppleHDA.kext that worked for my previous motherboards).

So, I am wondering where to start?

Is there a guide to editing AppleHDA.kext to make it work with various SigmaTel codecs? How do people go about doing this? Is there any existing version of AppleHDA.kext that is likely to work with SigmaTel 9274D?

Or is there some other approach that I should consider instead?

There is actualy a guide to AppleHDA hacking here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

... and RamJet has also cateloged all the AppleHDA variants one of which might work on the SigmaTel 9274D:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=36886

I've tried Rammjet's variations with no success on this board, but I'm probably just doing something wrong. I'd love to get it working also. Let me know if you come up with anything. I have the same board.

• 5 weeks later...

Bofors,

I found a source for all sorts of tech PDFs for the STAC927x family... It isn't gonna help me too much (for now) but perhaps others may benefit... Others like me since I just took delivery of a badaxe2 motherboard... (Still need ram and a CPU tho)...

Link: http://idt.com/?genID=STAC9274&source=...icPart_STAC9274

HTH

Dave

Edited by DaveGee

Even more cool info:

Linky: http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/s...atch_sigmatel.c

Quite a few references to 927x specifics

Dave

This struct seems like it could be quite useful and not just for the 9274D either...

Struct hda_codec_preset snd_hda_preset_sigmatel[] = {

{ .id = 0x83847690, .name = "STAC9200", .patch = patch_stac9200 },

{ .id = 0x83847882, .name = "STAC9220 A1", .patch = patch_stac922x },

{ .id = 0x83847680, .name = "STAC9221 A1", .patch = patch_stac922x },

{ .id = 0x83847880, .name = "STAC9220 A2", .patch = patch_stac922x },

{ .id = 0x83847681, .name = "STAC9220D/9223D A2", .patch = patch_stac922x },

{ .id = 0x83847682, .name = "STAC9221 A2", .patch = patch_stac922x },

{ .id = 0x83847683, .name = "STAC9221D A2", .patch = patch_stac922x },

{ .id = 0x83847620, .name = "STAC9274", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847621, .name = "STAC9274D", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847622, .name = "STAC9273X", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847623, .name = "STAC9273D", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847624, .name = "STAC9272X", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847625, .name = "STAC9272D", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847626, .name = "STAC9271X", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847627, .name = "STAC9271D", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847628, .name = "STAC9274X5NH", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847629, .name = "STAC9274D5NH", .patch = patch_stac927x },

{ .id = 0x83847661, .name = "STAC7661", .patch = patch_stac7661 },

{} /* terminator */

};

Dave

I'm using ALCInject (Thanks to Taruga) I get full sond and everything out of my BadAxe, i think it should work on the 9274D

Are you saying that the stuff Taruga has been working on works on your BadAxe? What modifications might need to be made to work on the BadAxe2? Any ideas?

Kiko is on the money.

With the latest HDA patcher from Taruga (*****) 2ch sound-out is woking.

For the time being that does it for me.

The light of the spdif is working and it is properly recognised in the sound-controlpanel, so i put my money on it is also working.

And i'm sure soon mic will work as well :thumbsup_anim:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;st=1160

For good measure i've upped the codec-dump of the 9274D as well here. Just drop it on the latest hda-patcher of Taruga, oh and make sure you use the latest DaemonES kernel.

Bad Axe2 just got badder!

//Rue

ps My respect goes out especially to Bofors. Dude, you have lead me on the path of my current hackintosh, solid!

STAC9274D_83847621.txt

To obtain the result of working sound I installed my system with the original JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 Intel only dvd. (This was over a month ago, so probably you could use the latest updated version / check demonoid) During install I selected Mifki's kernel.

I noticed the interface was the wrong speed. After consulting the forum I came along the following thread:

OSX stability BadAxe2 with E6600 above 3.6 Ghz

It has the link to the DaemonES kernel of november 7th 2006, which i have installed and you can download here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=5798

To change the [mach_kernel] manually you can follow one of RammJets' many guides:

Installation Guide (Mac Genius Bar)

Furthermore there is the issue of the typo in the manual. As I have noticed with Ubuntu LiveCD the hardwareID of the BadAxe2 is Sigmatel9274D.

But :hysterical:

As I have read on Intel's website, there are 2 versions of the BadAxe2. The only difference is the Sigmatel Audio chip used.

BadAxe2 A: SIGMATEL9227

BadAxe2 B: SIGMATEL9274D

Therefore, my 9274D_codec_dump.txt may not work. It may well be that your BadAxe2 has a different sound chip. Now you may be tempted to download a [9227 codec_dump.txt] somewhere from this forum, but It might be that the BadAxe2 actual audioplug adress/ID is different from for example the BadAxe1.

I hope I may shed sound on your difficulty ;)

//rued

Edited by ruedewiel

I am also new to this. These kext files doesnt tell me anything :)

I have the Bad Axe 2 aswell, And everything seems to be working swell, except for the sound.

I downloaded this AppleHDA.kext that was linked to in this post, but what do I do with it? Overwrite the excisting one? or copy the contents into the existing one? Or what? I am very confused, and I dont even know what soundchip my card has, but I bought it 2 days ago, so it might be the latest version? Dont know.

could anyone tell me in simple words what to do?

Have tried searching this forum, but it seems like the search function is somewhat strange. If I search for bad axe, og bad axe 2, I dont get any results, even though I see the words in lots of threads in here...? hmm

edit.

Well, Now I did overwrite the AppleHDA.kext that I found in a link here.. didnt do anything else than making an error pop up at login.. guess it ment that it was the wrong file afterall... so I tried that txt file that was linked to in one of the first posts, using the applehda patching thing.. got kernel panic, and after that it was impossible to even boot osx.. so here I am at my macbook, trying to solve this thing :star_smile:

edit2.

I dont know if this is the right idea, but from the mobo's manual, it is an illustration of 2 options concerning the connectors on the back of the mobo. One illustrating 3 jacks, which is 6 channel audio, and one with 6 holes, that is 8 channel audio... AND, it says that the 8 channel uses Sigmatel 9274D, and the 6 channel uses the 9227.

So in my head... it would be possible to identify what kind of chipset one have, by looking at the connectors.. 6 = 9274D and 3 = 9227.... Is this the right way of thinking? If so, my board have 9274D, and that is what the kext I tried was for, with no luck. But I might be doing something wrong, since I havent used this kext stuff before...

Heeeelp :)

Edited by albester

I recommend for all you to use Taruga's patcher, its simple, effective and n00b safe (this means u wont b0rk ur system). For those of you who have the 9274D just download the text file posted a couple of posts back and drag it onto the turtle picture (drag it onto the applehda patcher which you can download from this forum). Then it will do its magic, and tell you that you can reboot., Reboot and enjoy crystal clear HDA sound in OS X :)

albester

i have semtex nebukanesar 8.8.1 kernel, installed using jas 10.4.8 sse2 sse3

Can I change the kernel somehow? would be nice to have sound only thing not working perfect

You try fix your AppleHDA.kext before,Please!

1.for fix AppleHDA.kext :

- Open Terminal type:

sudo find /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext -type d -exec /bin/chmod 0755 {} \;

(type your password)

sudo find /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext -type f -exec /bin/chmod 0744 {} \;

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairpermissions /

Then reboot.

2.for exchange your '' mach_kernel '':

- Open Terminal type:

cp /mach_kernel ~/Desktop/mach_kernel.bak (to backup your old kernel )

- Place the new mach_kernel file on your Desktop

sudo cp -f ~/Desktop/mach_kernel /

(type your password)

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*

sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel*

- Then reboot.

I give you my mach_kernel 8.8.1 also. :D

mach_kernel.zip

Edited by fotopro

it worked it worked!

used the new kernel, and the hda patcher, and i got sound! :P at least 2.1 but thats ok :)

thanks! now my "mac" is up and running, everything work as a charm, at least so far... but I do get lots of kernel panics, if I try to reboot... meaning I get kernel panic upon reboot.. may have to reboot 2-10 times, before it boots, dunno what causes this :(

albester

…if I try to reboot... meaning I get kernel panic upon reboot.. may have to reboot 2-10 times, …

Congratulations!

Try it:

-to search for com.apple.boot.plist(Library\preferences\SystemConfiguration\com.apple.boot.plist)

- changing <string>-v -legasy<string> into <string>-legasy<string>

- Open Terminal type:

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

diskutil repairpermissions /

- Then reboot.

• 4 weeks later...