Parallels Desktop Beta 3 (Build 3106)

kevin_4e

21 posts in this topic

The Parallels developers sure seem to be keeping busy, despite the holiday season. Parallels just released their latest beta a week ago, and now they've got more for us to test out.

It is important to keep in mind that "this beta does not introduce any new functionality, but provides several very important fixes to the problems found in previous betas." Based on what was accordingly fixed, they seem to be referring to last week's release.

Some of the fixes would include:

• "Round" corners found in Windows apps are now handled while in Coherence mode.
  • Fullscreen and Coherence mode on secondary monitor fixed.
  • Several apps such as MS Access or MS PowerPoint should now handle graphs correctly.
  • Guest Linux screen resolutions in 24 bit mode fixed.
  • Ability to switch off Command+ZXCV mapping or swap Control and Command keys.
  • Better USB 2.0 support. (Web cams are still in the works)

More information can be found at Parallels forum post and a download is located at Parallels download page.

Be sure to let us know what you think of this latest build!

I'm glad the issue with window corners has been addressed in coherence mode. That was one of the few things that annoyed me. No matter what tricks I tried, the background image of the windows desktop would show up in the small corners at the top-most section of the window where the curves are.

By the time Leopard is realised, this app is going to be amazing. I've never seen anything progress so radically fast. Less than a year of having Intel Macs, and already we're close to seemlessly running Windows programs alongside Mac ones.

I agree. I don't care what VMWare does, I'm sticking with Parallels because their product rocks and they have bled for their customers. If only Adobe would write code like this. I might not hate them as much.

=)

This product rocks! With the addition of Coherence, the whole experience has been drastically enhanced. I've been able to get rid of my Boot Camp partition because of the performance that it gives. Ii'm still curious to see what Aero would look like through Coherence, does anyone have it working? Could you post a screenshot? I don't think my machine can do Aero in a VM. :P

Edited by rollcage

I think Parallels is probably one of the finest programs ever created for the Mac! With a dual screen system it is amazing. I run Windows XP on one screen, Mac on the other. I do this full time and there is enough power is just my Penium D 2.66 to have all the standard Mac apps running and even playing WoW at the same time! I'm sorry but if you tried doing all that on my system with a Windows/Linux mix there is NO WAY it would run anywhere near as well.

I wish I could have Aero in a VM...

I actually deleted my Boot Camp installation, since I used it so little in the first place and Parallels wouldn't boot off it :)

Had some issues with getting Coherence to work in the first place, but it's fine now. I might actually spend some of my Christmas money on a real product key for this. :thumbsdown_anim:

they still can't boot without homocamp , cmon parallels engineers it's something so trivial that the only word is you should be ashmed. I forgot about the genuine homo cpu check in your installer, atleast code some assembler just use asm cpuid and pls limit it to coreduo only if you are playing apple side. Allowing p4 crapware sounds just retarded

Edited by myzar

they still can't boot without homocamp , cmon parallels engineers it's something so trivial that the only word is you should be ashmed. I forgot about the genuine homo cpu check in your installer, atleast code some assembler just use asm cpuid and pls limit it to coreduo only if you are playing apple side. Allowing p4 crapware sounds just retarded

Parallels is doing an amazing job. So what if they don't support non-Bootcamp partitions or non-Intel CPUs? Their goal is to let Mac users run Windows, and they're doing a great job. As long as you're running a real Mac, there would be no problem. It was never intended to be used by people who take vanilla PCs (which were built for Windows in the first place), install OS X illegally, and then get lazy and decide that they want to use OS X and Windows at the same time, with a virtualization program that they probably also pirated.

Based on my sig, I know I'm being hypocritical. But still, they have a right to make sure this app isn't used on hack systems, and they really deserve some applause. It's not that it's trivial to support non-Bootcamp partitions, it's that they probably decided not to support them. If it really bothers you, there's probably a way to fool it into thinking a partition was created by Bootcamp.

Edited by Takuro

uh a real mac doesn't exist , it's just an x86 clone with a broken bios and weird partition scheme. Supporting mbr is trivial i don't give a f*** about their rights and cut your lame {censored} about legality and nonsense like that.

Great perspective. f*** you too.

Now, can you provide a sensible argument? Or will you just cry about how it's not fair that people like Apple machines and you are a crazy megalomaniac with a second-rate Mac-wannabe with pirated software. You are a loser probably still living at home under his mommy's care. Grow the f*** up. The real world isn't so "screw the legal system" as you're abstract point-of-view would like it to be.

I'd like to be fully legal as soon as I can afford it. Most of us think the same, I hope. :huh:

Being illegal is something that all computer users experience, myself included. It's almost impossible to be completely legal in a system that imposes so many silly restrictions. The difference here being those who feel that they are exempt from being illegal and somehow the world owes them something because of it.

It also helps to insult people for their opinions too, as well as tell them to simply shut up for expressing an opinion different than what they believe. People go far with this attitude. Great way to make friends.

:wacko:

Edited by John the Geek

After a year of saving, just before Christmas I went with a 24" Core 2 iMac, 1.5 TB hardware FW800 RAID and FCP Studio. Apple finally benefitted from me playing on a PC for 6 months, and I hope this is one of the reasons they don't set their attorney attack dogs on this site. In the end, they know most people here do the right thing to keep Apple in business.

Great perspective. f*** you too.

Now, can you provide a sensible argument? Or will you just cry about how it's not fair that people like Apple machines and you are a crazy megalomaniac with a second-rate Mac-wannabe with pirated software. You are a loser probably still living at home under his mommy's care. Grow the f*** up. The real world isn't so "screw the legal system" as you're abstract point-of-view would like it to be.

Mine it's a sensible argument you are just using a normal x86 clone and the only difference is the non standard bios. IT's 100% common pc parts

About your legal system doesn't mean squat in the digital world

Mine it's a sensible argument you are just using a normal x86 clone and the only difference is the non standard bios. IT's 100% common pc parts

Sensible arguments sound more sensible when they are said in a sensible manner. And I agree with you there.

About your legal system doesn't mean squat in the digital world

Can be circumvented - Yes, but you can still be tossed into jail for it. So I'd hardly say it means "squat."

My point was that if you'd like us to respect your "legal system sucks" perspective then don't tell those of us who (mostly) do honor the legal system to cut our "lame {censored} about legality and nonsense like that." Especially following a sentence declaring that you "don't give a f***" about the rights of those companies whose software many of us use and love. I personally think big companies can go suck an egg, but I support smaller companies who actually care about their customers. Just my $0.02.

You opinion is a perfectly fine one, but remember that so is everyone else's.

=)

Edited by John the Geek

Well my point was really another, booting from mbr is trivial stuff to add since they can boot off an el toritto cdrom already and the installer check about the intel cpu is lame. I would have understood about a core 1/2 cpu check that would have made sense. Why would they want care on what i run it ? Theoretically they only lost a potential customer because i can easily remove the retarded coded cpu check and live without being able to boot from hd