x86 version of 10.2

Dragon

166 posts in this topic

embio: download featherlinux and use that. it's like 38mb. don't use fedora... it's too chunky >< also if you load featherlinux using desktop=twm instead of fluxbox it will be much faster.

"knoppix toram desktop=twm" in boot options

that should give you faster speeds.

I was only going to use the Fedora box to play with Qemu a bit before going to bed. And those commands have saved me a lot of googling tomorrow, cheers. I'll get to work on this tomorrow night with the Coppermine in my sig thats currently running Xubuntu - at the minute I cant read what im typing so I'm going to go get some sleep.

Seeing as I have two 20gb harddrives in my p3 I am going to do a native 10.4.8 install on the second using my OS X pc and then run it in my p3 and give you the benchmarks.

Have a good sleep embio? :D lol

Seeing as I have two 20gb harddrives in my p3 I am going to do a native 10.4.8 install on the second using my OS X pc and then run it in my p3 and give you the benchmarks.

Have a good sleep embio? :D lol

you mean your going to try and run OS X natively? and no I didnt, my mates dragged me out of bed to discuss coursework lol

nah i'm going to use qemu to boot from my second harddrive instead of the image file.

BTW, this is the different between qemu and kqemu+qemu

Emulator Typical application slow down ratio compared to native

QEMU between 5 and 10

QEMU + QEMU accelerator between 1 and 2

i am going to test with tiger-x86-flat.img in 20 mins when it finishes copying off my external usb1 (slow) hard drive. bunzip2 wasn't working before and i have a 2gb ipod :pirate2: so had to extract on win then plug in my external drive. neways i'll be back here in 20 mins to give results.

this is driving me insane... i can't get any form of mac os x on this p3. i can't plug it into the net because it's in a room without wireless access, i tried copying the 10.4.1 image off my usb but it was taking hours. last thing to do is do a native install using my OS X machine.

BTW, has everyone working on this downloaded featherlinux yet?

to be honest thats what my mind leapt to immediately, I love that distro, but it doesnt have APIs and libraries Qemu needs I dont think. We just need to remove all the stuff from feather linux we dont need and it will be light enough.

my poor old p3 doesn't have a dvd drive... i'm gonna do the 10.4.7 install from this pc tomorrow and then set up featherlinux properly.

qemu-img create -f qcow macosx.img XMB - harddrive image to create

qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda macosx.img -m 256 -boot d - booting os x

i'm going to sleep,

cyas later

i got the 10.4.1 image copied to my hda and dd'd it to the second harddrive, then i tried booting the second hd in qemu and i got kernel panic : kdp_poll error :S

so i think the wireless card is causing it so i'm going to take that out and test again.

so far the apple logo flashes and it says the "loading hfs filesystem" {censored}.

Once I get past this error though I think it'll boot into os x (hopefully).

I'm still trying to get FeatherLinux on to this Athlon. The Qemu website makes it sound like all I have to do is unzip the .tar.gz to the root of my installation and then it should run - is this the case? Oh and how do we get our FeatherLinux installs to copy toram on boot?