x86 version of 10.2

Dragon

166 posts in this topic

Ai Haibara and myself are working together to create an install dvd containing a lightweight linux distribution and qemu/kqemu to emulate OS X at decent speeds. Using FeatherLinux we can create a startup script to launch qemu at fullscreen mode and emulate OS X off a harddrive image. Hopefully if we can tweak it enough we can get it at a reasonable speed, but I still recommend we attempt a native install. I am using an old p3 to test on, and Ai Haibara is using a p2.

Dragon

Dragon and Ai Haibara that is awesome news, didnt realise Qemu booted OS X or OSx86.

Just thinking here, at some point Qemu or KQemu has to emulate a SSE2 processor right? If thats the case then the answer is staring us in the face, we need to extract this code and use it to patch OS X 10.4. Am I right in thinking only Kqemu is closed-source?

I must have missed a step here, please point it out if I have.

if we are making progress I think we should move this thread into a more development-orientated area of the forum. Might attract more attention from people who could help that way as well.

Edited by Embio

would depend to what level you would want it to do it - how long is a piece of string? What we're talking about now is booting a 'thin' Linux distro to use purely to run Qemu and then a virtual instance of OSx86 which would run automatically.

ok, featherlinux can be loaded into ram which makes it very quick. and yes qemu is open source (not kqemu). using the source from qemu to modify 10.4 would take a heap of work and programming skills. i think if we are going to go with emulation, we should be using featherlinux/qemu.

atm, i just did a hdd install with featherlinux and am now copying the 10.4.1 deadmoo image off my ipod to /.

i will then attempt to run the image under qemu.

Dragon

the 10.4.1 image is VMware right? I'm going to attempt similiar with my Fedora box, which is tragically underrammed, and obviously the OS isnt as light as featherlinux (great thinking with the running from RAM! everyone has a 128MB lying around they can throw in, thats brilliant) but its all I have available at the second.