x86 version of 10.2

Dragon

166 posts in this topic

is the 10.4.2 exec patch the one you're talking about Sherry?

Yes, it is.

If I remember correctly, Apple introduced a new type of binary with 10.4.2 which cannot run on previous releases of Mac OS X x86. Anyway, someone (maybe Maxxuss?) hacked it and find a way to make those binaries to run well even with 10.4.1.

Sherry Haibara

EDIT: nevermind, I've found this:

back on topic, the installer can easily hacked to make it install over 10.4.1 but apple has broken binary compatibility again and not in the old way. dunno if you remember that maxxuss released a 10.4.2 kernel exe patch that used to work but doesn't anymore.

So it seems that we cannot even run younger applications. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Sherry Haibara

i'm sure that as long as we got it running and demonstrated it, people would be interested enough to patch it up for the sse people. maybe we might even get some help from some real kernel gurus like semthex. :thumbsup_anim:

let's just see what we can do and then worry about application compatibility later.

this is kindof a non sequitor, but i might be @ the apple hq in may. people said that they would need the orriginal image, i it is not under copyright or any protection, i could ask nicely for it.

i am going to be in the cupertino area, my parents know i like apple, they would drop me off, and i could shoot the breeze with the security guard if they dont let me in.

haha, good luck with that soundless.

anyways, i spoke to semthex about the kernel today and he said the problem is not with the kernel, it's with the non open source extensions and that we can boot the current kernel with "-s" to run on sse. so does somebody have a list of all the extensions which require sse2? if so, post plz.

ta,

Dragon

It'll probably be on two CDs :P

Ok, and for Tiger so the problems are extensions and closed-system apps (like the Finder and the Dock)?

So we still need an SSE2 emulator, isn't it?

But if between SSE2 and SSE3 there are only few differences, between SSE and SSE2 there are a LOT of new instructions.

And remember that SSE-only processors are usually slow...

It'll be useless, maybe.

Sherry Haibara

Nobody has it, except the apple developers in cupertino and I seriously doubt they would agree on handing it over. Tiger on SSE is the simplest solution we have in our hands considering the information, source and files on our hands. So is anybody interested? If not, i'll just shut up and continue dreaming over a 10.2 x86 being *given to us*.

Dragon

erm.... got to say this is a bit daft. You are going to walk into 1 infinate loop and ask nicely for a beta operating system that was never meant to leave Apples possession - not even as a developer copy like Rhapsody?

dream on ;-)

however, I have a couple of 'Coppermine' PCs that would like Tiger, even if it means removing a load of Apps like iTunes and Safari that need SSE2. What we need is a list of Apps and parts of the OS that need SSE2, then we can write emulators, write around or replace as neccesary.

just my 2p

after scouring limewire, i found 2 things that caught my eye:

"cheetah_intel.toast"

"marklarpanther.iso"

cheetah_intel.toast is taking way too long to download. the speed is about 500bps and the file is 637 mb. it also keeps disconnecting from the host so dont get excited"

marklarpanther.iso wont download, its "looking for sources".

i doubt they are real, but you never know. if you want to try and find it on limewire, just put in "marklar" or "panther" and it should come up. but i had to wait like 1 minutes before i saw them because limewire slowly connects to each peer.

Cheetah is, from what i remember, 10.0 and Panther is 10.3.

Now off to google to look for those files.

I just think its easier to work with what we do have rather than what we could have. We know that Apple developer machines used Pentium 4s for Tiger, but what about Jaguar or anything earlier??

Edited by Embio

I wouldn't expect anything less than P4.

apple have compiled an x86 build for every release of OS X since beta. even since rhapsody nextstep they have had x86 builds. i would guess that they used a range of computers from pentium IIs to P4's.