Saddam Hussein Executed

mifki

64 posts in this topic

Wow.

How do you even respond to something so ........ (looking for a non insulting word) ?

According to my hacky...

regime |ri? zh ?m; r?-| (also régime) noun 1 a government, esp. an authoritarian one.

the rest is a matter of public record.... So, what's your difficulty?

It is supposed (according to Bush Jr.) that Americans came to Iraq to show Iraquies what democracy is. I just can not understand how the country that still has a death penalty can teach democracy. With the money spent on Iraq war, US could bring hope and life to people that die every day in Africa, Asia, everywhere. Instead more Iraquies are dying every bloody day.

It is supposed (according to Bush Jr.) that Americans came to Iraq to show Iraquies what democracy is. I just can not understand how the country that still has a death penalty can teach democracy. With the money spent on Iraq war, US could bring hope and life to people that die every day in Africa, Asia, everywhere. Instead more Iraquies are dying every bloody day.

haha does democracy mean that there cannot be a death penalty, it means rule by the people, if the poeple want the death penalty then their will be one.

According to my hacky...

the rest is a matter of public record.... So, what's your difficulty?

Well - the Regan, Bush1, Clinton, and Bush2 administrations were elected by the people of their country. The people elected them. Few people in the country agree with all of them. But the government is a fair representation of popular opinion at the time of the election. The USA does NOT have regimes. They have a democracy. Your staement is not true by definition.

i think they shouldn't have killed him. first off, i think it is wrong to kill things/people, and second, i think if he was in jail, he would have regretted it more, he would have jut sat there, occasionally being butt raped by fellow inmates for 30=40 years. death was the easy way out for him.

i think they shouldn't have killed him. first off, i think it is wrong to kill things/people, and second, i think if he was in jail, he would have regretted it more, he would have jut sat there, occasionally being butt raped by fellow inmates for 30=40 years. death was the easy way out for him.

Which one is it: Is killing someone good or bad? - you can't have it both ways.

Well - the Regan, Bush1, Clinton, and Bush2 administrations were elected by the people of their country. The people elected them. Few people in the country agree with all of them. But the government is a fair representation of popular opinion at the time of the election. The USA does NOT have regimes. They have a democracy. Your staement is not true by definition.

A Regime can be democratically elected, it's just another name for the ruling clique; it tends to be used to describe Authoritarian ones. Are you saying that the Bush one is a liberal social democracy? With the way the current administration has hoed into your civil liberties, authoritative scarcely seems an adequate word.

you do have to remember Stalin killed a ton too.... but he was never punished :happymac:

Exactly. He killed millions. But he never lost a war, thus he died among worshipping subjects.

The same could have happened to Hitler if he had won the war.

However let's not forget that some great conquerors of the past were quite merciful with their defeated enemies.

Exactly. He killed millions. But he never lost a war, thus he died among worshipping subjects.

The same could have happened to Hitler if he had won the war.

However let's not forget that some great conquerors of the past were quite merciful with their defeated enemies.

yep, but Hussein killed people who were under his control... not people who hed just wooped their asses in war... (well, he did that too, but thats what your supposed to do in war?) (and yes, so did Stalin, but i was talking about other leaders...)

The death penalty is an archaic method of fundamentally reactionary and totalitarian systems. It actually perverts democracy because it potentially provides a 'legal' means of getting rid of 'troublesome' elements. The question is now, what can the Iraqi people expect in the future from this 'democratic' new government (manufactured by Bush/Blair)? Their opponents, will they also end on the gallow? Where to draw the line in the chaos they have in Iraq?

American regime

Sorry, but there is no 'American regime.' All American leaders are democraticly chosen. Perhaps the USA makes mistakes, but the USA isn't a mistake itself.

Here in Europe, I always hear people complaining about America and Bush, but those same people always 'forget' what for instance China is doing at the moment (executing people for what they believe in....).

The Americans aren't the bad guys in the world. China, Iran, North-Korea, Saoudi-Arabia, .... they are.

Actually my reply was towards the mean of your sentence, not about your grammar, because I think that only a kid would see the world in such a simplistic, superficial manner. I wish things could be so black and white.

I agree with Proteo.

If i'm being honest, i'd say that I almost never commit myself to an opinion on these matters, because I dont claim to know enough about them, and dont want to be just another {censored} with a tenth of the facts who is nonetheless willing to make black-and-white judgements.

Labelling countries as 'good guys' and 'bad guys' is stupid. You gotta look at all the elements within those countries - what do the leaders want? what do the people want?, what pressures do they face? what are their internal politics about? how many elements are vying for the furtherment of their own agenda, within the larger framework of the nation-state? where have they come from, historically speaking? what have they been through?

A lot of Americans naturally have no concept of a country having a history stretching back thousands of years, as theirs is a new country. (This is not an attack on Americans - if you took offence at that, go back and re-read it. If you still take offence, learn how to read.) I think its easy for them - sometimes - to disregard the crucial historical angle of any country's motivations in the modern world.