Saddam Hussein Executed

mifki

64 posts in this topic

Well according to CNN, Saddam Hussein has been executed.

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Three years after he was hauled from a hole in the ground by pursuing U.S. forces, Saddam Hussein was hanged Saturday under a sentence imposed by an Iraqi court, al-Hurra TV, al-Arabiya and Sky News TV reported.

The deposed president was found guilty over the killing of 148 members of the Shiite population of the town of Dujail after militants tried to assassinate him there in 1982, during Iraq’s war with Shiite Iran.

The official witnesses to his execution gathered Friday in Baghdad’s fortified Green Zone in final preparation for his hanging, as state television broadcast footage of his regime’s atrocities.

But i would just like to know what you think of the execution?, do you think it was the right thing to do or do you think it was utterly stupid?

I for one think that it was the most stupid thing ive ever heard of.

I think it was silly they hanged him, couldnt you at least just put a bullet in his head? crude means, but i think we needed to do it, cause he could never survive in prision, he could never survive outside, he could possibly try and rise back to power.... he did comit alot of crimes... who knows, but whats done is done and he shure as hell aint comin back.

Part of me feels like he shouldn't have been removed from power. I know the U.S. is on this big campaign for Democracy, but sometimes we need to realisitically admit that democracy doesn't work everywhere. Americans were very fortunate to have an entire continent to claim and forge "the great experiment" to form a nation of our own. We were literally handed "a blank slate" to form a nation, where-as places like Europe and the Middle East had been long-since established, fought over, and divided among various sects.

When you take away the main dictator, all the littler guys squabble for power and kill eachother. That's exactly what the Shiites and Sunis are doing now. To say we didn't have any part in their civil war would basically be a lie.

We need to distinguish the real from the idea. Ideally, there should be world peace, brought by whatever form of government can give free will while establishing order. But in this instance, we're saying that in order to obtain peace, we must first engage in war. This is one of the largest paradoxes of our time. Who is to justify what's best for somebody else's agenda? Although we all pretend like we know where to draw the line, the simple fact is, we don't and never will.

Edited by Takuro

Takuro,

Very wise post. You certainly can't force democracy with weapons.

This whole matter reminds me of the Tao Te Ching and Wu Wei: do not overdo, do not intervene heavy-handed on delicate equilibrium.

But this matter tells me also of hypocrisy, big time: why Pinochet could die of old age in his bed, while Saddam Hussein had to be murdered? (please remember that he was still the President before the American invasion)

are you people even watching cnn...?? he killed over 100,000 kurds...!! :)

that alone warranted the execution in my book. yes, george isn't doing much better with our own military but he's doing what needs to be done. don't compare saddam to george sr. or jr...compare him to Slobadan Milosivic

i think that iys a shame that a human being had to be wasted to flex our muscles.

that regime was in place way before saddam himself..

who are we to tell them what "freedom" is? are we free ourselves when we have elected officials that portray their ideals just to keep their job? our "democracy " shouldnt be based on being able to voice our opinion on the internet..

i could go on , but fu_ck it.. im not in the mood..

funny , saddam was handed over to iraq minutes before he was to be killed , just so we can say " hey we didnt do it, his own people did it"

lol ...fu_ck it

But this matter tells me also of hypocrisy, big time: why Pinochet could die of old age in his bed, while Saddam Hussein had to be murdered? (please remember that he was still the President before the American invasion)

While I can't speak for my ideas about this thing as a whole, the difference here is a matter of law. The laws of each country are different, and thus require different consequences. Now, if you agree with a specific countries laws or not is another story...

Personally I find it rather barbaric to execute anyone , especially by a means so crude as to rip a persons spinal cord apart with their own body weight and choke their brain of blood. As unsavory as it is there are much more civilized ways of ending a persons existence , what does this really prove other than that we've set up a government no better than the 19th century old west complete with hangings ? What happened to our supposed moral superiority condoning things such as this? I'm sure our illustrious furor will take this opportunity to dance on saddam's corpse and pronounce proudly that we're "turning the corner" once again and that this will somehow make a difference in the bloodbath that is Iraq.

As horrible a despot as he was , he was our despot. We shook his hand in 83' and handed him over plenty of weapons and intelligence because it suited our purpose of killing Iranians at the time. Our actions reek of pure hypocrisy. Its extremely difficult to get any consistent numbers on the civilian deaths , but from what I can gather its between 52-57K. Let's not forget the nearly 3K troops that have died a meaningless death in that sand pit. Juxtapose those numbers with the 2,973 deaths from the 9/11 attacks and I'm starting to wonder who the real terrorists are...

Anyway , its late and I'm going to sleep...

rumsfeld2.jpg

While I can't speak for my ideas about this thing as a whole, the difference here is a matter of law. The laws of each country are different, and thus require different consequences. Now, if you agree with a specific countries laws or not is another story...

Sorry sHARD, which law are we talking about in an occupied country?

I am not trying to be funny, mine is a real question: before the American invasion Saddam Hussein was the President (according to the law of his country), after he became a criminal...

And what about all the unpunished criminal dictators all over the world?

Sorry sHARD, which law are we talking about in an occupied country?

I am not trying to be funny, mine is a real question: before the American invasion Saddam Hussein was the President (according to the law of his country), after he became a criminal...

And what about all the unpunished criminal dictators all over the world?

My point is Iraq always had the death penalty.

My point is Iraq always had the death penalty.

I think you're right. As far as wartime laws go, there's a general consent about how prisoners of war are to be treated. If somebody is found guilty of crimes against humanity, they're supposed to be dealt with according to the laws of their country I think.

Still, it is crude, and it did clear our hands from the stain of blood. A lot of ex-presidents aren't agreeing with Bush at all. How could so many ex-leaders with experience running our country be wrong? The fact is, they aren't. To "force democracy down somebody's throat" is s self-defeatig purpose, and one that will never be and can't be fulfilled.

are you people even watching cnn...?? he killed over 100,000 kurds...!! ;)

Funny you should mention the Kurds... In the most well known atrocity they were murdered with chemical weapons provided by western governments thanks to deals struck by Rumsfeld. (The CIA provided the satellite intelligence for chemical attacks against Iranians.) So, why charge him with the relatively trivial execution of 148 shia? The consensus is that it was for a quick trial then hanging, which would prevent anyone charging Hussein with crimes for which a trial would reveal the full complicity of the American regime.

So how do I feel about Saddam's execution? I feel like a bunch of wiseguys just whacked the last material witness...

Edited by consolation

Saddam was a {censored} and I would support the execution if Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney and some others killers like him could be executed too. That would be fair. Otherwise, is just another of stupid things done by the current US administration.

Sorry to be so rash but why is everyone hating on the Bushes, yea so they were in wars but if we do not do something about then who else will, its people like you guys who just sit back and bash our president siting behind your computer screens doing nothing, if you really dont like bush then some of you would not just sit there in your house compaining. I am not saying Bush is doing a good job, its just that i dont bash him like the rest of you do. We elected him and are stuck with him til '08 and if you want to impeach him then go right ahead.

How can you assume that we jut sit behind our computer screens doing nothing, im sure most of us have jobs and contribute to tthe community, so i think that it is just plain stupid to say that, like seriously you seem to assume a possition higer than us so that you are judging s, somebody like you obviously has to much time on thier hands, (maybe you live infront of your computer) :\

But i still think Bush should hang

yea well right about now, Christmas Break, i dont do much except play video games and go on the computer but the truth is that most people do sit behind their computer screens and just complain. An i never did "assume" a position higher than you, i just pointed out that the average person, you and me, complain and do not do anything but compain.

Edited by GBK.Xscape

yea and the truth is that Hussein did want to be shot but they wanted to more humane and they hanged him, and in america if we dont like a president then we impeach them, like we did with Clinton, but the truth is that nothing will happen.

I'm against the capital punishment, period. That being said, he was a terrible and cruel dictator; responsible for terrible, more than documented, crimes. He should have been trialed on an international court for his crimes, that way there wouldn't be that many questions of the trial being unfair (of curse, he, his followers and some extremists would never recognize those tribunals anyway), and if it is so important for him to be trialed by an iraq court, he could, once the country stabilized since he wouldn't be dead.

Edited by andazp