I've Got $300 from Christmas. Wii, X Box, or PS3?

Takuro

The best game console.  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If I had to blow all my Christmas money on one game console, which should it be?

• Save the $300, save up more money, and buy a PS3 when it becomes cheaper
    • Get a basic, bare-bones X-Box 360 (no hard drive)
    • Buy a Nintendo Wii and have money to spare

30 posts in this topic

After Christmas, I've received about $300. Now the big question: what to spend it on? Here are some of my ideas:

Playstation 3: As far as specifications go, this is supposed to be the most powerful system with the best graphics. If I'm going to invest my money in a gaming system that will be cutting-edge for years to come, this would be it. I know it's also the most expensive game system out there, but I'm hoping to hold off 3 or 4 months until the prices go down. I don't have enough money for it yet, but I could save up. When I eventually get an HDTV, I'm sure the high-def quality of Blu-Ray content will come in handy.

X-Box 360: Arguably just as powerful as the PS3. However, the price is very reasonable. X-Box Live was one of the most prominent features of the original X-Box, but now the Wii and PS3 will boast similiar online services, so this isn't much a strong point anymore. The 360 has been out much longer than the Wii or PS3, so games should look better visually since programmers have had much more time to work with it. It doesn't come standard with an HD-DVD drive, so as far as high-def gaming goes, this could be a little weak.

Nintendo Wii: A lot of people have told me to get this. I've heard that the 360 and PS3 blow this thing away as far as graphics, which is why I've hesitated so much to buy one. The video performance is supposed to be almost exactly like Game Cube, according to some people. Supposedly the "fun factor" makes up for this, since there's so many awesome things the Wii can do - such as internet browsing, playing old game libraries from the NES upward, and the most popular feature: motion-sensitive controllers.

-----------------

I'm looking for a console with good graphics that will be fun to use for at least 2-3 years to come.

One important note about internet connectivity: I'm pretty sure all three use WiFi, so I'm wondering if my Belkin Wireless Router could work with them. I have a Belkin F5D6231-4. I feel dumb asking this, but is the internet signal it transmits considered true "WiFi?"

Edited by Takuro

Wii, because a console is for PLAYING games with other ppl, your computer can play most of the other games with SUPERB graphics (solo ga,es and online massive games).

Do you have an HD 37" or more TV ? if not you will not get those fancy graphics from your console...

PS3 is becoming a huge flop in sales... if it really turns to be a flop the developers will abandon the ship and go for other consoles.. Lets face it, Nintendo Wii is the Console with more BUZZ and the more potential for revolutionary games.

Invest the extra 50 dolllars in more wimotes and nunchacos and a Composite OUT it will do wonders for your graphics on the Wii.

Just my two cents

WIFI : no your Belking is ".. 802.11b Wireless Cable/DSL ".. so its very poor performance if you can convince your folks get them to buy the Belkin PRE-N Router at US$ 120 (wich you just can attach to your actual router) or if you can;t go for a PRE-N go for a Wirelles G device (wich also can be just pluged to your actual belkin)

Edited by aberracus

i bought the xbox 360(Premium) for like three weeks from now and i couldnt be more happy.I can connect to my pc , xbox live the best gaming online ever seen, the gui of the 360 very friendy user.Some people has been able to put linux distros on this.

PS3 it got Blu-ray and Metal Gears as exclusive features, and you can put linux officialy.

Wii :my sister has one so i can talk from the experience .It has a great "family fun feature".Support for old nes snes and other nintendo consoles, of course you can do that in your pc too.the graphics side will his weaknes but nothing to be worried .

i chose the 360 because of the ability of burn my own games play the old xbox games and buy backup games for like 3 dollars so i can have almost every game on that collection.

that was my opinion.hope everyone respect it .

Zealot is a trademark of UZB company .

well, good luck getting a wii or a ps3 any time soon. you wont, no one has them, if you want to wait id go ps3 if you can throw that chunk of change down, but the wii is very innovative, id wait a while to see what takes off and what garners 3rd party support, so you arnt stuck with something like gamecube (dont flame me please ) with only a fiew first party thiings. my advice, wait a while, wait until the hypes calmed down and you can get them easially, and wait until games come out so you can see which one you like :dev:

WIFI : no your Belking is ".. 802.11b Wireless Cable/DSL ".. so its very poor performance...
I did some research on this. Although the router model is three years old, 802.11b is still the current standard in WiFi. I should've probably mentioned that the computer with the router and the actual game console will be in the same room, less than 15 feet apart. For internet browsing and online game play, it should get the job done nicely I'd think. Most of the complaints I've seen about weak internet signals come from people who are dealing with a much larger distance between the console and the router. All three consoles support 802.11b it seems.

i chose the 360 because of the ability of burn my own games play the old xbox games and buy backup games for like 3 dollars so i can have almost every game on that collection.
So you can just find some X-Box ISO and burn it, then run the game in the 360 without any mod chips or anything? Does this require a dual-layer DVD? It doesn't work for 360 games, right? Not that I'd ever download a game illegally, but yeah... for backup purposes...

well, good luck getting a wii or a ps3 any time soon. you wont, no one has them
I expected that after Christmas, all the consoles would be sold out for a week or so. That's why I'm using this time to deliberate over which system to buy. By the time I make up my mind, there should be fresh shipments next week.

Thanks for the input everybody!

Edited by Takuro

I would probably save up a little more and get a premium 360. You're going to want the hard drive, and the headset if you plan on using Live, and this is going to save you money in that sense. The games look awesome, whether you're playing on a standard or high def TV. Xbox Live works great with the 360, you'll have hours of fun playing with your friends, and you'll meet lots of other gamers.

I don't think the price of the PS3 is justified, the graphics aren't any better than the 360's, there aren't that many games out yet, and they're not going to have Halo 3 :thumbsup_anim:

I could see the Wii as a choice if you want to get something RIGHT NOW, but I don't think it's going to pay off in the long run. The graphics aren't any better than the Gamecube's, and I think any extra fun you get from the controller could quickly be made up with the performance and games that the 360 has.

"So you can just find some X-Box ISO and burn it, then run the game in the 360 without any mod chips or anything? Does this require a dual-layer DVD? It doesn't work for 360 games, right? Not that I'd ever download a game illegally, but yeah... for backup purposes...

Thanks for the input everybody!".quote from Takuro.

first you must change the firmware.then you are all set, of course always its going to be some game giving troubles .Last week the one who made the hack firmware publish an update of it and he said that you can burn backups in non Double layers DVDs (that was part of the updated features).Microsoft updates(every fifhteen) a list of the old xbox games that you can play on the 360 and its becoming bigger and bigger.I got it online with my hackintosh via wireles.

Wanna know more about the deblock of the 360 PM me.

Zealot

I did some research on this. Although the router model is three years old, 802.11b is still the current standard in WiFi. I should've probably mentioned that the computer with the router and the actual game console will be in the same room, less than 15 feet apart. For internet browsing and online game play, it should get the job done nicely I'd think. Most of the complaints I've seen about weak internet signals come from people who are dealing with a much larger distance between the console and the router. All three consoles support 802.11b it seems.

So you can just find some X-Box ISO and burn it, then run the game in the 360 without any mod chips or anything? Does this require a dual-layer DVD? It doesn't work for 360 games, right? Not that I'd ever download a game illegally, but yeah... for backup purposes...

I expected that after Christmas, all the consoles would be sold out for a week or so. That's why I'm using this time to deliberate over which system to buy. By the time I make up my mind, there should be fresh shipments next week.

Thanks for the input everybody!

b/g is the current wireless standard, all the systems would support this, no problem there, and walls and other interference also (big brick walls, a neaghbour who HAM radios possible, just ideas could kill it, but you dont have to worry about that

xbox 360 does not require a modchip but with the new consoles you cant do it, it was a patch for CERTAIN dvd drive moddles in your xbox 360, so there was a chance you wouldnt have a compatable one even before microsoft started gluing and whatnot to prevent it, the only way you could do it on one of the new ones is to order a replacement moddle that is the one that can be f/w hacked (i had the link before... but not anymore...) so thatd set you back another $75 to $125 usd for the drive, plus youd have to flash it and stick it in the xbox 360, so its not easy like the dreamcast.... and good luck getting one of any, but id go with the ps3 or xbox 360 (i dont like the wii, personal preferance) the ps3 has motion tilt sensors in their controlers but at the expense of dualshock, so no force feedback. GO IN AND TRY THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! and before you go in, set a price limit, because ps3's are as much as a pc (id pick the pc or wait for a price drop)

pros/cons

Ps3: pros: tilt sensors if you wish, most powerful of the 3, blueray, ps2 and ps1 support, ps1 downloadable through that arcade like thingy.... can run linux (woopty doo.... if your gonna use it as a pc, buy a pc, the pc will infact out perform it at pc stuff because the ps3 was hardware designed to be strong for games and gaming calculations, not general calculations like a computer

cons: most expensive, case design issue so it overheats, very fiew games so far, blueray (personal pref. it looks like theyre doing the same with blueray as betamax, and we all know how that turned out)

Xbox 360: pros: availability, price is in the middle, very powerful, close to ps3 3 core ppc.... been around, so there are a veriety of games available for it now, m$ has had time to fix launch problems, established market share allready, the posibility of making it capable of backups (legal or illegal, i obveously dont give two {censored} :hysterical: i would never pay $60 for a pc game since i got broadband) plays some select xbox titles, xbox arcade

cons: regular dual layer dvd, games may have space issues later, or you may find multiple disk releases, no high definition video without a 150 (at least, i forget the real price, but i think i remember it being around there) dvd scratch issue if you move it while its playing (theyll all probably do that, and if you didnt move it and it does that to your games microsoft will replace the xbox 360 and the games that were effected)

Wii: pros: "innovative", more involving i guess, the unique controler, nintendo games (if you like them o, allmost forgot price, cheepest (wait, i think its within 50 of that xbox 360... id go 360) classic games from genesis, n64, and others that i forget in the wii store, gamecube support, comes with wii sports

cons: weakest hardware power, that controler (yes this is also a major con) because you cant just port 3rd party games, so they may not see 3rd party lovin (or even less, theyve always been 3rd party weak, but this is like shooting yourself in the foot) not high definition (doesnt matter if you dont have an hdtv...) wiimote strap issue (if your dumb enough to lob something that hard at your tv i hope it breaks, but your a sensible person.... and i think they beefed up the strap just for those hardcore wii sports matches)

there, i hope this helps you and you like it because it took me a halfhour to write, and youll definately have to pm me letting me know what you got and how you like it after this... ugh, videogame time, first typing homework allday then this, im out

and id really have to go with kiko, price drops coming, and the xbox 360 will be first to slash prices (looks like its comming soon too) but if you cant wait then i hope this helps you pick your next-gen friend :thumbsup_anim:

and Zealot, no problem, ejoy!

Thanks for all the input, bwhsh8r. I really appreciate it. This is probably one of the toughest purchasing choices I've ever made, but your extensive list of pros and cons for each system is helping me slowly come to a final decsion.

hey i would save the money, till u have 400$ than u can buy a modded xbox 360 with a chip that plays burned games and with a cable to hook up to ur pc. i'm going to buy me one, the next month.
I'd imagine that even if Microsoft realized that people were burning games, as bwhsh8r said, that any changes they made to prevent it could be overcome with a few simple mod chips or something. A few burnt games could definitely help the system almost pay for itself, and then some. :)

I think I'm going to hold on to my money and buy a Playstation 3 when the prices fall down. I've already seen some places selling it on sale at $50 post-Christmas discounts. By late spring, the high-end model should be roughly $500. The Wii is fun I've heard, but cute little innovations only entertain people for so long before they get irritated over the obvious lack of hardware power. The 360 is currently the best deal for its performance, but in as little as 3-4 months there could already be problems due to Microsoft's choice to use a standard definition DVD drive. Whether or not movie studios decide to use Blu-Ray isn't important since it's pretty much independent of PS3 game production, I'd think. Even if it flops in Hollywood, there will be a market for Blu-Rays due to the PS3. In fact, Blu-Rays might even become synonymous with the PS3, as a sort of proprietary form of Sony storage media used for gaming. Even if Blu-Ray doesn't take off well at first, the PS3 will keep the format alive, and it will eventually be re-adopted by studios.

It's really insane. Last spring at E3, I heard about all three systems for the first time. After their debute in Japan, I hadn't heard much. Now, they're all suddenly in the U.S. within only a few months of one another. I suppose the only thing to do is wait a little while and see what happens.

Edited by Takuro

Well I got a Xbox 360 and have modded it and now running backup games whilst my originals are packed away safely

Trust me get the xbox 360 its wicked on Live plus more people play online on 360 than on playstation

Also 360 has support for Vista and XP which will be wicked multimedia wise ( Streaming XViD and DiVX Videos Anyone :wacko: )

Also if your Console is going to be 15 feet away then wireless won't be a problem as you could just wire up the 360 to your PC with its looooooonnnng cable and your good to go with all the wicked content

If ur gona get a ps3 don't bother as spend the budget on a Computer you could get a wicked setup with a big drive and online gameplay and one wicked graphics card

Also the Xbox's Arcade games and nicely made and are cool retro little things

The only downside is the hard drive I guess but a hard drive sata mod is out and you could use that ( Team Xtender )

Edited by Suhail

i have both a 360 and a wii. the 360 was a gift from last year, and although it was fun, i didnt play it nearly as much as my pc games.my brother liked it though, so i guess it was good. we got a wii for xmas this year, and its amazing. the controller actually works for everything you need, and its truly different. i feel like its fresh.

nobody likes the ps3. check reviews, it bombed. :dance_24:

if i were you, i would save up for the ps3, then have a change of heart and buy BOTH a 360 and a wii. that way you can't go wrong

I'll probably wind up getting a Wii in the near future, waiting until summer or fall, and then get a PS3 when the prices fall. By that time, any money spent on the Wii can easily be made up for.

In the mean time, I have a smaller purchase to make: an audio cable. I have a really good sterio system next to my T.V., but I need a digital fiber optic cable to take advantage of it. Would a standard digital optic cable work for the PS2, PS3, X-Box 260, and the Wii? I was thinking of getting this to cover them all:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4200

I'm not sure if it's strictly for the PS3 though.

i think it would. is it usb, audio or what?

Isn't it self-explanatory? Digital fiber optic audio. The strange thing is, so many household electronics I own have it, but I haven't been able to find out from anybody if its a universal cable that will work for a PS2, PS3, Wii, TV, or anything else with digital audio out.

a hundred dollar rebate, how????? sweet, yeah the xbox 360 is awesome!!

well I belive now that the rebate went till dec 31 06 so you may be out of luck, but if they changed it just walk in and ask if they have the rebate

If you get all horny when you see a good image, get an Xbox or PS3, but if you really want to play something buy a Wii

I mean, what the hell is the difference, would you buy (if they were availible to this gen) a crappy graphic Ocarina of Time, or a OMG looks like it is out of the TV Zelda Wand of gamelon??

(If they both were new)