MacBook Pro Installation Help!

26 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've bought a MacBook Pro 17inch with Intel Core Duo 2.16Ghz......

Curiousity made me download Boot Camp to see how Windows run on the machine........and I accidently installed over the entire 120GB hard disk....so the machine only got Win XP on.

Now I want to reinstall the machine back to OS X.....seeing as I'm a guy who don't look after my stuff....I lost the installation disc that came with the Mac Book so I downloaded an ISO online "Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86-HOTiSO" it was 4.38 Gbs. I put the disc into the machine while booting up.....it starts the startup sound then turns to a darker black screen with a cursor on the top left corner blinking very fast....but nothing happens after a long time.

Do I have to press some buttons for it to boot from the disc or what? After burning the ISO onto DVD its only something over 100kb....kinda weird with about 10 files, most of them starting with "boot....." something.

Please tell me if its the ISO that is wrong or what I should do to get the Mac Book back to OS X.

Alright, I'm out of ideas... try different burning software maybe?

And just to check, you did try to boot while holding C right? Hold C the entire time it's booting till you get something interesting (whether it be the black screen and cursor again or some stuff on the disc.)

the reason you get the blink cursor is that the iso uses a bios bootsector, macs use efi, and emulate the bios (thats the reason you get the black screen when you boot winxp). Unless you can ask Jas or someone to remove the bios bootsector, and put in an efi one then it wont work. Just explain yourself to the local apple store and ask if you can get a restore disk or even call apple and tell you to send you the discs.

Regardless of how he burned it, it won't work on his hardware. The HotISO release he torrented is a hacked OSX86 release configured to run on non-apple hardware. It's set to boot off BIOS, and won't work on EFI. Thus he can't use it.

I know the dial-up sucks, but you need to torrent an official, non-hacked Install Disc.