43 replies to this topic

vik

vik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

i just got mine last night.
im going to get a battery grip first. it really improves the feel of this camera and extends the batter life by 100%.

next i am looking for a canon L series lens. they have way better optics than the kit lens it comes with and can produce images comparible to something like the 1Ds mkII.

you can't get that, since the sensor on the 300/350/400d from the 1d. The algoritms on the sensor are so different on the 1D from the **0D series.

The most obvious difference is that the 1D's pics are very grey and "lifeless" straight out from the camera. They need more post-processing that the **0D pics, RAW or JPEG :(

John the Geek

John the Geek

When the going gets geeky...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Painting, animation, photography, Macs.

you can't get that, since the sensor on the 300/350/400d from the 1d. The algoritms on the sensor are so different on the 1D from the **0D series.

What are you talking about not being able to get? L series lenses? I have one on my 400D.

The 1D quality sucks compared to the new 400D, which is why they finally revised the 1D Mark III, which blows away all of the other digital cameras by any company. Took them long enough though.

noptuno

noptuno

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I got an Olympus, and their line of lenses are great, till you get some cheap telephoto lens, like the Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, the closest you can get to an object is 1.5m thats 4.9 ft, and if your shooting at 150mm the quality is very degradaded, so im trying to get my hands on a nikon to see it optics and how does it feel in my hand; I personally dont like canon too much because is what everyones gets and well Im a rebel kid so.... I think you got the Idea, still the first camera I came in love with was the Canon Rebels.... so I have something intimately with them... lol

Ictinike

Ictinike

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Digital Art, Macs.
Ya, Canon Rebels are just what I learned photography with, so I'm kind of attached to them. My school uses them, and my teacher (who's a highly qualified photographer) reccomended them to me.

thevieweast

thevieweast

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
from my canon AE-1 to the 400D was a pretty huge jump, the 28-105 EF zoom is perfect, love this camera. Get a awesome 2GB CF card and shoot all day in raw ( check out ebay if you want a great deal on the body, got mine brand new 11/07 for around 620)

Ictinike

Ictinike

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Digital Art, Macs.
Ya I'm working on a Macro lens right now. :-)

John the Geek

John the Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Ya I'm working on a Macro lens right now. :-)

I can say that Canon's 100mm and 180mm are very nice.

Fusion9

Fusion9

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I have the Canon Rebel XT and it's fine. You really don't need the bigger screen as its just there to view it for a quick second, you dont need the sensor cleaner. You could buy a 10$ rocket blower which takes most dust away. I'd get the XT, it's a great camera. Have fun with it!

John the Geek

John the Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

you dont need the sensor cleaner.

Says you. The difference between the XT and the XTi at f/22 are amazing. The sensor cleaner is fantastic for anyone shooting at narrow f/stops, like macro photographers. If you only shoot wide open at f/4-6.1 then you are blurring the dust and can't see it as well, but it's still there obstructing light.

You could buy a 10$ rocket blower which takes most dust away.

No, you'd be adding more dust. Try it. Then shoot the open sky at f/22 (Av mode at ISO 100) and then look at all that crappy sensor dust.

My XTi outperforms my 20D so well that I can't stand using the 20D anymore. I can't stand the clean-up needed in Photoshop after I import them.

You really don't need the bigger screen as its just there to view it for a quick second

This is also not true. The bigger screen allows me to shoot and view the histogram/settings view in RGB mode and still keep the image thumbnail big enough to see it. It's a very nice addition.

I had to put a palm pilot screen protector on it though, since it sticks out a bit far for my taste. Makes it smudge too easy.

gholmes1936

gholmes1936

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I got my XTi about a week and a half ago and love it. Here is a photo I took in downtown Austin with it.

Posted Image

Azurael

Azurael

How many Ace Rimmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
The 'Digital Rebels' have got damn good low-light performance that beats everyone else hands down at higher ISOs, but I can't stand the grips on them, they're utterly un-holdable (Canon affictionados may disagree with me, but you'd have to have used something else to know -_-)

I'm happy with my old Oly E-500 now, but when the time comes to upgrade, it will almost certainly be to an Oly, Nikon, or maybe Sony unless Canon have sorted their ergonomics on the entry-level SLRs.

privatesnuffy

privatesnuffy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I just got a Canon Rebel XS, its the 10 mp version with all the bells and whistles. I'm quite happy with it, i did see the XTI, it was a sexy camera indeed.

teknojunkie

teknojunkie

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 829 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Coding, Skateboarding, Snowboarding, Video Games
man i loved this camera i got this a while back small lightwieght very nice, then switched over the 40D, my Brother is going to get a 50D which will be really awesome. CANON FTW

MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
I have the XTi and the XT. I love them both. I love the size of them. Perfect for obscure projects where a small lightweight camera makes life easy.

siliconpie

siliconpie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Those thar be some nice pictures *looks at $100 camera*
*looks more*
*cries*
Also, I could hug you, Ictinike. Debian!

Permaspooked

Permaspooked

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I currently have a rebel xt. I may be upgrading to a rebel xs this weekend. We will see how it goes love those canons.

newandintrigued

newandintrigued

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
on the flip side, i had an xti and finally had to sell it because i was getting nothing but krap pictures off it. turned around and got a nikon d40x... omg! my pictures were so much better it was amazing!! i had even sent both the xti and lens in for warranty'd repairs and checks ... no change.

posting this in case anyone else has problems like this with their xti's because sometimes it really is the camera and not the photographer! :D

Jultec

Jultec

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
hey,

I used the Eos 350d for 4 years and I was very happy with it.
I used it for event photography (without flash) with a Sigma 30mm 1.4 but the noise at ISO 1600 was pretty nasty.
Now I bought the 550d mainly because of its FullHD video capability and its a nice improvement!
Iso 3200 is still usable for web publishing and shooting video with my canon 10-22mm lens is great fun!

I also got the Batterygrip (150eur, are you kidding me???) and will get the LCDVF for better focus control!

angelica00

angelica00

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am dying for any of the Canon Rebels. I'm not very good at saving my money though haha

FinalJenemba

FinalJenemba

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

I am dying for any of the Canon Rebels. I'm not very good at saving my money though haha

Never been a big rebel fan myself, their just too small. Better to get an older professional used body then a new entry level one imho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy