How to install OSX 10.4.8 intel sse3 only on vmware5.5.3 ?

man

15 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I am trying to install 10.4.8.iso intel sse3 only on my vmware5.5.3 workstation.,

but what I got just the screen with error *****virtual machine kernel stack fault**********

I followed number of methods in various posts. like ::

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t35639.html

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

but still i got the same error, I tried to make the guest OS NT/freeBSD but same *****kernel stack fault**********

in my host m/c's cat /proc/cpunifo ...

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr

i have pni instead of sse3 but i think they are same.

I tried, booting with: -legacy when booting the iso. Or try booting with: mach_kernel.mifki too

One more thing i didn't found any [ Intel Virtualization option in BIOS ].

Exactly the same problem to me.

Using a Core2Duo and a Intel Board(946GZIS).

I kept having the same problem as you two, thats why I wrote tutorial. Core2Duo and Intel 965. 1st one you referenced.

1) Make sure you are installing in VMware as "Windows NT" not "Other" or "FreeBSD" or "Solaris". Makes no sense but only way I got it to work. I have repeated the process in my tutorial multiple times with success as I have been trying to modify system to boot physical without success, and starting over with new ideas.

2) Make sure you manually edit vmx file to include paevm=true.

3) The Intel Virtualization crash happens differently. You see a message about mash_kernel entering 64 bit mode, then one about CPU halted, not stack error. So that is not the problem here.

4) Some versions of OS X won't install in vmware. JAS 10.4.8 for instance as the kernel is incompatible with vmware (early Semthex). I had best luck with tubgirls 10.4.8 for AMD However, the disk utility is broken, so use an earlier version to format your virtual disk.

Edited by wmarsh

• 2 weeks later...
I kept having the same problem as you two, thats why I wrote tutorial. Core2Duo and Intel 965. 1st one you referenced.

1) Make sure you are installing in VMware as "Windows NT" not "Other" or "FreeBSD" or "Solaris". Makes no sense but only way I got it to work. I have repeated the process in my tutorial multiple times with success as I have been trying to modify system to boot physical without success, and starting over with new ideas.

2) Make sure you manually edit vmx file to include paevm=true.

3) The Intel Virtualization crash happens differently. You see a message about mash_kernel entering 64 bit mode, then one about CPU halted, not stack error. So that is not the problem here.

4) Some versions of OS X won't install in vmware. JAS 10.4.8 for instance as the kernel is incompatible with vmware (early Semthex). I had best luck with tubgirls 10.4.8 for AMD However, the disk utility is broken, so use an earlier version to format your virtual disk.

Has anyone come up with a way to fix the issue with Intel Virtualization? Or better yet found a way to run Mac OSX in 64bit mode in vmware?

Yes, what wmarsh mentioned in his reply that it won't work for "Jas" version

I was trying in the same :(

what i have is :: JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso

any updates for supporting this version, how to insall thist on vmware.

One more thing I have read some where that it get installed only from boot CD not with iso-image, is it so ??

Has anyone come up with a way to fix the issue with Intel Virtualization? Or better yet found a way to run Mac OSX in 64bit mode in vmware?

Actually Intel Virtualization does exactly what its supposed to; it allows the kernel to go into 64 bit mode in VMware, even with 32 bit host.

OS X crashes in 64 bit mode under VMware. Tries to address an invalid address, as I remember. I PM'd the exact output to semthex.

My idea to fix this is to disable the kernel switching to 64 bit mode. If you examine the code semthex posted these macros are in /osfmk/i386/asm64.h

Unfortunately, I can't get xcode tools to work in vmware either, so I can't compile a kernel to try this.

I tried VMware 6.0 public beta, same result.

Regarding the version question; I didn't get Jas' new disk to work in vmware either. Tubgirls disk works very well.

Yes, what wmarsh mentioned in his reply that it won't work for "Jas" version

I was trying in the same :thumbsup_anim:

what i have is :: JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso

any updates for supporting this version, how to insall thist on vmware.

One more thing I have read some where that it get installed only from boot CD not with iso-image, is it so ??

Use Tubgirls disk, it works.

The DVD issue is vmware has a problem with hfs+. Either from DVD or iso image. Best way is to mount iso image in Daemon tools, then tell vmware to use that drive as physical disk.

Actually Intel Virtualization does exactly what its supposed to; it allows the kernel to go into 64 bit mode in VMware, even with 32 bit host.

OS X crashes in 64 bit mode under VMware. Tries to address an invalid address, as I remember. I PM'd the exact output to semthex.

My idea to fix this is to disable the kernel switching to 64 bit mode. If you examine the code semthex posted these macros are in /osfmk/i386/asm64.h

Unfortunately, I can't get xcode tools to work in vmware either, so I can't compile a kernel to try this.

I tried VMware 6.0 public beta, same result.

Regarding the version question; I didn't get Jas' new disk to work in vmware either. Tubgirls disk works very well.

I THINK that the boot flag -legacy keeps any kernel in 32-bit commands only mode.

I followed your own vmware install guide using tubgirls amd dvd on a core2duo dell e520, and removing the default -legacy boot flag caused the unsupported 64bit command issue, but replacing it (or typing it at F8 boot) made it work fine in 32bit only mode.

I THINK that the boot flag -legacy keeps any kernel in 32-bit commands only mode.

I followed your own vmware install guide using tubgirls amd dvd on a core2duo dell e520, and removing the default -legacy boot flag caused the unsupported 64bit command issue, but replacing it (or typing it at F8 boot) made it work fine in 32bit only mode.

NeeT, thanks!

I've been wanting to put virtualization back on, so tonight I will try this.

BTW I got you PM on install working, congrats!

I can confirm Newtrax is correct.

-legacy will let you boot with Intel Virtualization enabled.

change com.apple.Boot.plist to make this permanent

• 7 months later...

I get as far as the step where you have to use the Disk Utility to format the disk, but the disk utility seems to be broken. The window for it comes up. The spinny spinner goes for a while, then the window unceremoniously disappears.

Is there any way I can accomplish the same thing from a command line? The terminal and fdisk seem to work OK.

Thanks!

Hello everybody,

I am trying to install 10.4.8.iso intel sse3 only on my vmware5.5.3 workstation.,

but what I got just the screen with error *****virtual machine kernel stack fault**********

I followed number of methods in various posts. like ::

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t35639.html

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

but still i got the same error, I tried to make the guest OS NT/freeBSD but same *****kernel stack fault**********

in my host m/c's cat /proc/cpunifo ...

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm pni monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr

i have pni instead of sse3 but i think they are same.

I tried, booting with: -legacy when booting the iso. Or try booting with: mach_kernel.mifki too

One more thing i didn't found any [ Intel Virtualization option in BIOS ].

Try using my guide: http://www.######.com/software/vmwareosx86.htm

I think you have to have SSE3, not PNI for the ISO you're using. Use the JaS 10.4.8 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 PPF1 + PPF2 ISO or the Uphuck v.14iR3 ISO.