Why OS X?

Adoroxin

44 posts in this topic

FUD spread????

Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

*snip*

In other words that.

I love writing completely unbiased material which allows users to decide what is best for themselves based on their own opinions. It really makes some people angry.

And now I leave this debate. Because it's no longer a debate. It's FUD.

It's faily secure and stable, almost reaching the level of Linux, though still suffering from occasional crashes.

I really doubt that Linux is generally as secure as OS X or as stable. Plus there are so many different versions of Linux out there, I really wonder how you make such a broad statement. Do you have any data to back up these claims?

Personally, I ran 10.4.5 on my first Hackintosh (an Intel D945GNTLKR / Pentium D 920) from about March to November, a good six months, 24/7 with both cores under full load for extended periods of time and never had any instability whatsoever. In about two years of similiar use, my Dual 2.0 G5 might have a one or two kernel panics. I do think I have ever had a kernel panic or anyother instability on my PowerBook G4 in the three years that I have had it.

Now in terms of security, I have never read a credible claim that was not latter retracted or refuted that OS X had any flaw that was successfully exploited. Furthermore, I know that certain, let's say "sensitive", government agenicies, use OS X because it is secure out-of-the-box and can be locked down in minutes: http://www.nsa.gov/snac/downloads_macX.cfm

Personally again, I have very serious security concerns that I am not confortable talking about it, but let's just say I have my entire life invested in the source code of the software that I write and I live in a very hostile environment. Nonetheless, I feel very confident that my work is well protected exercising the simple options that are readily in OS X.

Windows... It's security isn't wonderful, but unless you are an idiot, it gets the job done.

I am sorry, but when you have to add third-party anti-virus and anti-spyware to Windows (and that still is not good enough for real security), it is not getting the job donw, and it is not even close.

In terms of stability, the core system is great...

Again, I apologize, but I think the core of Windows is total garbage. I actually hope Vista is great because I have to support it anyways. But I know better, it is just another version of Windows, the core has not changed. Vista is like "putting lipstick on pig."

If Microsoft had a clue, they would have thrown the core out with the trash and started over in Vista. I mean, there is no reason why Microsoft could have not copied OS X the right way, by starting with a secure and solid Unix-based OS and building a well architected GUI with integrated application frameworks on top of it. They could have then added some virtualization, just like Apple did with Classic, for backwards comptability.

Take a good look a Steve Ballmer, it should be obvious that the guy is a nut. He is why Windows will continue to suck for the foreseeable future.

If you use a safe browser like firefox and a email program like thunderbird and a firewall i use windows inbuild free one. Then you dont have to worry about virusses or spy/adware. Only if you dload a lot of illegal {censored} form newsgroups or from friends then you have a good change to get infected and you need a damned good viruskiller. Becuase viuskiller dont get everything and are always to late.

I use windows since 3.1 and i never have any viri or other bugs. Its only the stupid people who click on everything the see and get and run unpatched bad software (outlook, Internet explorer, because opensource is bad says bill g) thats get infected.

Everybody with a working brain can get xp safe, maybe not as safe as osx, linux, but not to bad either.

I fell for OSX (Mac in general) entirely on accident...

I was in need of a very reliable laptop and a (respected) friend of mine told me to get a Mac (5400 @ the time); so I did and since been pleased. Today, I use OSX for my everyday stuff and business presentations whether it's PowerPoint, Keynote, a DVD etc. Not for any real particular reason, simply that I like it and I'm familiar with it.

And XP/2k for work (CADD/CAM)

Personally, I don't care what it is, as long as it works. Playdoh could come out with an OS...

I have to add to those that Windows is secure, bull! Here at work we have:

• Trendmicro Officescan Antivirus
  • AdAware Anti Spyware
  • Spyware Blaster (blocks alot of spyware)
  • Windows Defender

Without most of that, spyware can and does run rampant. Windows is secure? Uh huh. :guitar:

why NOT OS X?? i have been using windows ever since my very first computer (An ancient compaq with windows 95), at the time sure it was great, i had a PC, had an OS, i was all set, but things got complicated soon after with random lockups and shutdowns, then i bought plenty of new PC's and upgrades over the year but being that its still windows it was always the same story, im a workaholic sometimes and i want my PC to boot fast, and run fast when im in the middle of something, My hackintosh boots just under 20 seconds, and continues working untill i shut her down. Plus OS X looks very sexy and i am a huge sucker for eye candy.

Edited by PRocker267

:thumbsup_anim: InsanelyHac was the only web site, which made me aware of running OSX on a Windows X86 platform (thanks InsanelyHac) gave it a try, loved it, 3 months later, bought a (real) Mac Pro. Got tired of trying and fixing and reinstalling and fixing reinstalling to make things work. The Mac Pro is great, loving every moment using it. The only thing I can say is that eventually, I think the OSx86 project WILL come to and end when APPLE sees fit. Also, I’ve heard and read somewhere, that Apple engineering has incorporated some sort of EPROM chip on the Mac main boards for when the newer versions of Leopard are released (after an EFI update), 10.5 Maybe? It’s supposed to look for this chip before the OS is enabled -(kind of like an embedded dongle), Any one know about this? Any Ideas?

Thanks

It’s been a blast……!!

Also, I’ve heard and read somewhere, that Apple engineering has incorporated some sort of EPROM chip on the Mac main boards for when the newer versions of Leopard are released (after an EFI update), 10.5 Maybe? It’s supposed to look for this chip before the OS is enabled -(kind of like an embedded dongle), Any one know about this? Any Ideas?

This quite obviously not going to happen. Apple still has to support millions on Intel Macs that it has already sold. It is not going to recall them all to add this EPROM chip or whatever.

The only thing I can say is that eventually, I think the OSx86 project WILL come to and end when APPLE sees fit.

I feel very comfortable saying that it is impossible for Apple to stop OSx86 (Hackintoshing) now. More importantly, your case is a perfect example of why they shouldn't even want to.

Welcome to OS X, enjoy your Mac Pro.

Just having an OS that will work for everyday use.. Wont turn you into a geek (Linux) .. and virusfree c'mon Why go with windows at all. only if ur a gamer

Windows has no security. I have an old desktop with a 1.6 GHz pentium 3. It has XP and it literally takes 3 minutes to turn on. When I turn all the antivirus programs up, it is like the computer puts a sign up on the internet that says "Attack me." My record is 100 viruses/spyware/adware a minute. The lowest is about 10 a minute. Which is still pretty high. My MacBook Pro, PowerBook, and two iMac G5s, a G4 iBook, and one iMac G4 have only gotten 1 virus. And I could hardly call it a virus. I was messing around and I got a file that took up 80 GB of HD space(the entire HD was 160 GB). It took the entire Burlingame apple store genus bar to figure out. And then it only took an hour at most. I can't even get Windows Vista to find my Samsung TV(which OS X sees instantly). The window comes up to ask me what to do accompanied by a nice little sound. I click mirror, but nothing happens. I still can't figure it out. :thumbsup_anim:

What the hell are you doing that you would get 100 peices of malware a minute!? I know that Windows is prone to attack, but that many? The average on my family computer is one a year, and I've never gotten anything on my own computer. Either you need to find different security software, or change your browsing habits. And I doubt whatever you downloaded on OSX was a virus.

Edited by rollcage

I think he has a strong fantasy. i never use a virusprogram only good software (firefox and thunderbird) and a firewall. And sometimes install or run a scanner form a dvd to see if somethig is infected and ofcoruse there is nothing. Only people without a firewall and lower then sp2 and the ones that never updates (no key) have problems.

Ok and i dont donwload warez and click on everything i see.

Its always the same windowsbashing from certain Apple users.

i just say i used osx because i find it is easier, nicer, pretty-er, easier, more efficiant, no viruses, the abilty to run windowz and linux, the simplicity, the idea.

I don't know about you guys, but in my case OS X 86 (JaS) DVD does not "just work" out of the box. I had to dig around on this forum and around the net to find drivers and in the end I wasn't able to get one thing working (SB Live!) so I have to live with integrated audio.

I use Mac OS X86 because I like having something in my life that I can tweak and mess around with until it works. That's why I use it :2cents:

I've had JaS 10.4.7 installed on my homebrew PC for about a month now. During the Xmas holidays where I had 2 weeks off, I decided to solely live in OS X and see if I could do everything I wanted to.

Two weeks passed.....

It has been a lot easier and more pleasant than I expected. I now feel as comfortable in OS X as I do in XP. The only thing I NEED to do in XP is use my work's VPN

Now I prefer OS X over XP. In fact I am planning to buy a 20" iMac later this year.