Buy a mac, or a pc?

17 posts in this topic

Hello, terribly sorry if this has already been discussed; but I'm looking at buying a new notebook. I would like the ability to run both os x and windows (vista eventually) stabley. it seems with boot camp that macs can run windows very stabley, not to mention they are beasts when it comes to performance (mac book pro 2ghz what I was looking at). the big difference is price. I was creating some satisfying (power-wise) pc's on the HP website for much less money than a mac. as far as pc is concerned it seems that running os x on it stabley is much more chancey (and especially for future releases). If I am incorrect in any of these statements let me know, and anything else that you can contribute would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If I wanted a notebook that runs OS X without problems, I'd buy a MacBook or a MacBook Pro, depending on what I could afford. Windows will run fine as well.

If you wanted a desktop, that is a different matter, because you can buy the components one by one, with OS X compatibility in mind.

But even if my hackintosh runs 10.4.8 without any problem, I still hope to buy a real Mac in the near future.

It all depends on how willing you are to sort out problems assuming you continue to run OS X on non-Apple hardware.

I don't know if there is a fully compatible notebook out there, but whether there is or not, you ARE going to run into issues down the road trying to run OS X. If you have the patience and will to go through all of that, then go for it.

In my opinion, it's not worth all that trouble just to save a few dollars. If you buy an Apple notebook, your time on OS X will be a breeze -- and of course, you can easily run Windows on it without any trouble (I do so on my iMac) and it will be even easier and more forward when Leopard comes out.

If you buy an HP notebook, expecting to run OS X on it without trouble, your going to end up spending countless hours troubleshooting as you try to keep up with updates Apple very often releases. I dont know how much more it would cost you to just go with Apple hardware, but in my opinion, it's worth every penny more for their support and beautiful hardware. Your choice.

BTW, for the one that said games, Apple does have configurations with fairly good video cards, and with that you can run Windows. Games are really not an issue anymore when it comes to what you should buy.

I think the bottom line is, if you want to get a laptop, definitely go for the mac. Much less issues with setting up, video etc, and WIRELESS WORKS, which is the most important thing. The price premium is also not so bad here. (if you even believe there's a price premium)

For desktops, the argument for an OSX86 box is much better. But that's not what he's asking about, is he?

My vote : Macbook!