Fit leopard on 4.7GB DVD-R?

trav1085

46 posts in this topic

I just downloaded Leopard 9A321. The size is about 5.7GB and I'm wondering if I can remove Xcode or something else I don't need to make it fit on a 4.7GB DVD-R. As there isn't a single store open today (on the most profitable day of the year) that sells blank DVDs in my town!

I have an iPod nano, but it's 2GB :censored2:. So I don't think there is anyway to cut it down to 2GB.

EDIT: After seeing another post I realized that I can remove Xcode to get it to a single layer DVD.

EDIT AGAIN: If I want my iPod to be bootable, I just burn an image to it in Nero or deepburner? Just like that?

Edited by trav1085

I re-downloaded Leopard, as I accidentally deleted it. It was on Windows XP, so I just moved it from there to OSx86. Then I used Disk Utility to convert the image to R/W and deleted Xcode. I then realized that it's a allocated pre-allocated DMG and is still 5.x GB in size. It says 1.47GB free still. I can't burn it to a 4.7GB DVD-R as it says there isn't enough room, although there is.

I'm going to try Tinkertool and then I think I am going to just convert that image to a 4.7GB image. Unless I did something wrong.

trav, using disk utility, create a new disk image that's 4.7gb (it's one of the choices), don't encrypte it, and copy all the leopard stuff, not xcode onto it, using disk utility, convert the disk image to a cdr master, and then once you've selected the cdr, once it's done converting, hit burn

Edited by AllOutMacsToday

I tried that already. And when copying "bin" it said I don't have sufficient privilages for copying some items.

Edited by trav1085

I already have. I think I posted it confusing, so here is exactly what I did

1. Converted the read-only disk image in Disk Utility to a Read/Write image saved as leopard.dmg

2. Opened it, deleted Xcode and then went to burn it. It didn't burn as it was too big, it's pre-allocated and doesn't reduce in size

3. I used OnyX to show hidden files, and then tried to copy them to a new 4.7GB image called leopard_dvd.dmg. It didn't work. There was an error saying

"One or more items have special permissions and cannot be copied. Do you want to skip them?" Continue or Skip are the options.

I tried to set permissions for my name, in Get Info and then it had the same message when applying to all the enclosed folders. It's set to read/write and I don't understand why it's doing that.

Is there a way I can log in as root, like linux?