[HOW TO] Convert Mac demos to full games

OMX-Knuckles

159 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while but I seem to remember Return to Castle Wolfenstein was very easy. Copy a PC install to the mac, the install the latest Mac patch. No CD required beyond that. I'll veryify. I just stumbled upon this forum! Good work, though I've seen many, many people raise cane about the developers not getting their cut for developing Mac Games while we're making PC games work on our macs. If Blizzard can develop for both platforms (When they want to) why can't everyone else?

Too bad the file doesnt exist at the site that was hosting the file for unreal tournament X :P Edit: On a side note I have installed UT2004 and it runs considerably faster on Mac OS X than it ever did on windows (bootcamp is setup on my MBP my FPS is double what it was in Vista)If anyone else still plays UT2k4 and they do this don't forget to edit the alias inside Unreal Tournament 2004.app/Contents/MacOS and remove the "demo" from the end otherwise it will not run and it will complain that the architecture is not supported.This would be done after the patch to 3369.2
Here's a possible reason. In OSX, UT2k4 is running in OpenGL while in PC land it's running D3D. Apple has underclocked their video cards as well. Since OpenGL supposedly requires less GPU horsepower, you're going to get bettere performance. Plus, Windoze is just one patch applied to another patch. Mac OSX is a far better coded and much cleaner while Microsoft has one department develop one part of the os, another dept doing another part, and so on, then they write patches to make everything "work" together.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys could figure out how to do this for bioshock, that would be fantastic. I have the full PC version but my card isn't up to the job to run it. But my iMac is more than capable. Only thing is I don't wanna have to deal with this whole bootcamp {censored}. So if you can find a workaround as per the rest of these demo>full mac versions..that'd rock.

Cheers.

EDIT: Also if you could figure this out for Max payne 1&2 that'd also be awesome.

P.S - Do I actually have to install windows on my mac to install these? I'm new to them ><.

Hello,

Well, I just stumbled across this site.

I have a PC version of KOTOR and have tried following the directions on how to get it to work on my Mac. Anyway, I have everything installed on my PC (even the update) and tried copying that update to my Mac using a thumbdrive. However, all it shows is a swkotor.exe

Help!

• 2 months later...

great stuff!

i own a q4 german mac version and a us win-version.

know i know that i did not need the german-version.

thanks a lot for q4 uncut us howto.

do i need to download the quake4 1.3 mac update or could it be the actual 1.42 ?

other question:

is it possible to get the doom3 addon to work ?

i own doom3 mac and doom3 windows with the addon.

thx

Doc

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that jedi knight 2 and jedi academy both work.

1. Download the updates from aspyr.com

2. extract the game application from the installer (i use pacifist for jedi academy but i dont remember if i had to do that for jedi knight 2)

3. Install the game on windows (vmware, parallels, etc.)

4. copy the folder titled "base" from C:\Program Files\LucasArts\[your game here]\GameData\ to the same directory as the jedi knight (or jedi academy) application on your mac.

5. From here you'll need a no cd patch for the mac application (google it or pm me)

6. Have fun playing your new converted game!

• 1 month later...

Yeah could you post if you know whether any of the GTA series can be installed through the same method

anyway new games are always cropping up, so i'd be cool if you be actively updating this list, because its seems a better way of getting a mac game than downloading it a torrentz site or something...

because most of the PC game CD's And DVD's are lying all over the place... its timesaving

anyway the new GTA, The New Mafia which i think had a mac ported version of the first so i'm guessing the second would only make sense..

this could be the Huge break for skeptic mac unconverted.......i know because most people wont leave their crappy windows OS because of Video Gaming.....

This thread if you could even eventually turn into a blog could actually bridge the GAP....kinda like OSX86 itself

• 3 weeks later...
I finally got Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 working on OSX using the windows install :)

Can't believe how simple it was. All I did was copy the pc install to a folder named "Data" in /Applications/RCT3GameFolder/ and then copied the unibin nocd into the RCT3GameFolder and it worked :)

I just need to work out how to get the camera setup right now :)

I used this method to install the Wild add-on to my Hackintosh after installing Soaked. Although Aspyr didn't do the add-on for wild, they left the placemarkers just in case. So all you need to do is get the wild install from your PC (or virtual machine) and copy to the same location as mentioned above. You may need to convert the music from the windows media files before the mac version can see it. I couldn't find a nocd for Soaked, so I'm using the disk... but it's great that I now have the whole thing running on my OS X install without running Parallels or swinging to Windows XP.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Call of Duty 4?

I'm about half way done downloading my recently purchased copy of COD4 for Mac from gameagent.com. I own the PC version of COD4 too.

Did I just waste $44.99?

- the COD4 Mac Demo is 259MB.

- The install is 8GB, do we get the rest of the data from the PC install?

Any questions/comments are welcome.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to get Doom 3 to run, but I'm somewhat lost.

I was following these instructions from page 1

Doom 3: Fully working :)

- Create a "Doom 3" folder

- Within "Doom 3" folder create this folders:

"base", "Doom3.app", "pb"

- Copy all pk4 files in "base"

- extract "Doom 3.app" from either NO-CD Patch or from 1.3 patch, if you don't have NO-CD Patch you can create a CD, CDRW, DVD or whatever with "DOOM 3", "Doom3" Label (not sure which one).

- extract *.mac files into your pb folder

I get it okay up to "extract doom 3.app" from patch 1.3 (I not doing no-cd). Also, when I go to "create" a "cd, cdrw, dvd" what am I doing? Burning a new disk? If I'm burning the Doom 3 play cd, do I need two cd drives? Plus, where are the .mac files?

Thanks for any help, I'm a noob at this.