Water Cooling

Colorados22

7 posts in this topic

Start googling for "water Cooled CPU"

Basics are a pump , radiator, water block for the CPU and maybe a reservoir with an assortment of tubing and fittings.

Just remember that water and electricity generally don't mix well, make sure the system is absolutely water tight before applying power to your computer system.

To get any real benefit you may need to upgrade your RAM to a higher speed as well.

Hello, I'm using a complete watercooling system (CPU, chipset and GPU)...

My temperature are very good (CPU is about 28°C - 35°C Max in full on WinXP) and the silence is complete...

I have an X2 3800 AMD and I can overclock the CPU with default vCore till 2.6 GHz... by increasing vCore I obtain 3.0GHz but obviously also temperatures increase.

If you want to use a complete watercooling system you need:

- CPU waterblock

- chipset waterblock

- GPU waterblock

- pump

- radiator (with low speed fans)

- if you want a reservoir

If you want you can start with a little system (for example: CPU waterblock. radiator, pump) and add the cjipset and GPU waterblocks in the future...

you can find good products on internet... there are a lot of hardware forum and you can find very interesting prices for used products...

The best products (waterblock) are Lunasio, Ybris, Swiftech...

Forget about pre-assembled system... usually they cost more than an assembled system and give you worse results.

About pumps I suggest you to choose a 12Volt pump

I'm using the 12V DDC Laing pump with reservoir... it's beautiful... it has incredible performace and it is completely silent.

Bye

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't bother water cooling your chipset, the amount of heat they put out can be easily handled with an aftermarket chipset cooler. Plus the more turns and blocks you have in your loop the worse the performance will be for your water cooling system.

For starters, depending on your budget, I look at the following components to start off.

CPU Block: D-Tek Fuzion - among the best performing commercial blocks and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Or if you are looking for something cheaper yet still offers great performance Apogee GT.

GPU Block: For the average GPU a Swiftech MCW60 will do. If you want to get it for a high performance GPU then I would go with the MAZE 5 GPU.

Pump: You will want something with a lot of head pressure and at the same time having high flow rate. My personal favorite among DC pumos is the Swiftech MCP655 / Laing D5, to get better performance than that you will have to go to AC pumps like some Iwakis, but they will be over $100.

Radiator: I would get at least a dual radiator if you were going to cool both CPU and GPU. Among the best performing duals is the Black Ice GT Xtreme 240, and there is the Black Ice GT Stealth 240 which performs slightly worse but does very well with lower CFM and near silent fans.

Tubing: For the first time water cooler I would recommend the Masterkleer 7/16" ID PVC tubing, once you get it onto a 1/2" fitting I can guarantee that it will not leak.

Coolant: the best performing coolant is still distilled water mixed with some zerex racing coolant. But for the first time builder some FluidXP would be best since that in the event of a leak, FluidXP is non-conductive and will not kill your components.

Reservior: I wouldn't use a reservior, a T-line with a fillport will save you the most money and improve performance due to less tubing.

Here's some pictures of my rig as an example, pm me if you want the larger version.

CIMG0023.jpg

CIMG0027.jpg

CIMG0026.jpg

This is the QUIET solution if you go with a passive radiator on a stock chip or mild overclocking. If you go for serious overclocking, your right back to a pile of fans on your radiators and that means noisy. Just depends on what you are trying to do and what you want.

Edited by Sailfish

This is the QUIET solution if you go with a passive radiator on a stock chip or mild overclocking. If you go for serious overclocking, your right back to a pile of fans on your radiators and that means noisy. Just depends on what you are trying to do and what you want.

not necessarily. Radiators like the Black Ice GT series perform very well with low cfm fans. I have 2 60 CFM panaflos on my radiator, and they are about 30 ish dba, not noticeable at all in everyday settings. And BTW my E6600 is running a 50% overclock at 1.5v, that's a pretty heavy overclock, and my system still performs way better than super air coolers like the Tuniq Tower 120.