Which Way Would Be Faster

10 posts in this topic

Would it be faster to use applications that were made for Mac OS X PowerPC or would it be faster to use Wine and applications that were made for Windows. I'm trying to use Adium and iTunes, and its REALLY slow compared to the other programs like Safari and iChat.

I would have thought that if u could get the app that you wanted working in Darwine, then it would be much faster than running the PPC binary running under Rosetta as Rosetta is emulating a completely different CPU instruction set, whereas Wine provides a "Windows Layer" to Mac OS. No CPU emulation takes place.

Ugh, I hate it when people ttalk about what they don't know about...

WINE IS NOT AN EMULATOR, although wine does act alot like an emulator and has the same concept...it is not!

Pretty much Wine is a rebuild of the windows system for linux.

Pretty much it's windows dlls re-written for linux.

But it is very hard to set up WINE, even for some with moderate unix experience.

Once you get it installed, you need to add windows system files...pretty much microsft included all these in XP, so they took them off the web. So, it may take a while just to get wine ready to do anything.

Pretty much wine just simulates a basic windows environment...you have to add some standard windows fonts that linux doesn't use, along with DirectX, and MANY RUNTIMES!

If you think you can do it, Wine actually may be the way to go, but if you are doing this in darwin...expect it to be quite difficult!

Not trying darwine would be faster. Even if for some magical reason it were actually fast, you would lose a lot of time getting it to work, do you really think you would gain enough performance to repay the time getting darwine to work?

• 3 months later...

So now that Darwine/X86 is at beta, how does performance look? Has anyone who has it working tried running photoshop7 for PPC under rosetta against photoshop7 for windows under darwine?

I realize that wine isn't an emulator, but it doesn't have the same speed as a native windows install either.

--Jesse

the problem with WINE on OSX isn't performance...it just works worse than it does on other x86 platforms for reasons that quite frankly is puzzling to me. The current beta of WINE (not darwine) from cvs builds with two *very* small patches, but has a much much lower compatibility rate.

Its a head-scratcher, to say the least :idea:

• 3 weeks later...
Would it be faster to use applications that were made for Mac OS X PowerPC or would it be faster to use Wine and applications that were made for Windows. I'm trying to use Adium and iTunes, and its REALLY slow compared to the other programs like Safari and iChat.

1. Adium is a universal build

2. iTunes is a universal build.