Is there somebody who install Nvidia 4xxx with QE or/and CE ?

Debian

63 posts in this topic

n3n, i simply installed 10.4.8 from the JaS DVD, added my devid to Geforce.kext. chown , chmod and rebooted. It worked. That is all I did. My friend has a 4600 (actually mine) so I will return the 4200 (my friends) and try the 4600 and see if it works with this configuration.

Also I have the SAME card that Pat does, so maybe thats why it worked. Maybe the NVDA20 has some incompatibility with some 4xxx.

Here is what I suggest

1) Delete all Geforce/NV kexts including Titan/Natit whatever

2) Install the NV40...... Package from JaS 10.4.8

3) Add device id to Geforce.kext, NVDAResman and NVDA20

4) chown.... chmod....

5) Reboot

Also my card works with *all* versions of Natit and the latest version of Titan. Though I prefer the 0.02 Dual Display Natit, as I get Dual Monitor and it seems faster. It even works with NVidiaEFI.kext.

Edited by Unstable Connection

Hello i have the exact same laptop and card geforce go 4200 w/64mb and the 1680x1050 screen. I am running 10.4.8 with the semthex beta9 8.8.1 kernel.

I have tried natit and titan but the card is recognized as "Unknown nvidia" with no QE. (CI is unsupported on this card).

Could you tell me what you did to get to the white screen because i cant get anywhere with it. thanks.

To be honest, I have not gotten very far with it either. It shows the name of my card (instead of "Unknown nVidia") only becasue I changed the entry for 0x0281 in Natit to 0x0286. This did not affect any settings other than the name.

As for the white screen, it is really just a "fade to white" and it really isn't pretty. It actually looks like you are frying your laptop screen. It happens when the screen is activated but cannot support the resolution and timing settings that are being set to it.

I guess our best bet is to wait and see if np_'s project (LaptopDisplay) can helps us. It looks as though he is making some good progress on it.

To be honest, I have not gotten very far with it either. It shows the name of my card (instead of "Unknown nVidia") only becasue I changed the entry for 0x0281 in Natit to 0x0286. This did not affect any settings other than the name.

As for the white screen, it is really just a "fade to white" and it really isn't pretty. It actually looks like you are frying your laptop screen. It happens when the screen is activated but cannot support the resolution and timing settings that are being set to it.

I guess our best bet is to wait and see if np_'s project (LaptopDisplay) can helps us. It looks as though he is making some good progress on it.

have you had any luck with agpgart?

When I tried to hook up my external flat panel (Samsung SyncMaster 191T), I was able to get a picture when I used the boot option "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"; but it was not the complete picture and I had no mouse. Using VNC I could see that it also had an odd list of resolutions to choose from... like 624x832, 768x1280, and 870x1152. It would seem that it thought my screen was rotated.

I read somewhere that if your screen is rotated, it can be fixed by pressing "detect displays" in system preferences--displays. just a thought.

Well, I just got around to trying this out with my GeForce ti 4200 64 mb now that I have 10.4.8 and new kernel...

I have tried Natit, and titan and have added my 0253 device ID to Geforce.kext, NVDAResman.kext and NVDA20Hal.kext. On reboot I see that it says NVDA20Hal.kext registerd and both titan and natit detect the card as Geforce ti 4200, but when i get to login window application started it just freezes there. Only way to boot is to remove the kexts :)

Really disappointed as it looked like it was going to work till it hung on the last line... Any suggestions appreciated :)

have you had any luck with agpgart?

I have not had any luck with AGPGart unfortunately, but I see (from your other post) that you have gotten your external display to work properly! I was only able to get mine to show part of the image and usually without a mouse.

Are you using your VGA connector on your laptop, or the DVI connector on the dock?

Strange thing is I can't seem to get mac os x to get past "login window application started" if NVDAResman is in the extension folder. This is irregardles of whether or not titan or natit is installed. If I have NVDANV10, 20, 30 and 40 along with geforce.kext in folder it boots fine with kernel dependency errors on the kexts (although that's obviously pointless), just can't get it to boot with NVDAResman. Also have 0x025310de device ID

I have an Inspiron 8500 and managed to get QE on my GeForce4 4200 Go with both Natit and NvidiaEFI by np_.

Here's what I did:

Install working copy of 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 kernel. I used the newest 10.4.8 DVD on Demonoid with the PPF patch v1.

In order to boot, you must remove the NVDAResman.kext, but save it because ou will need it.

Download Natit Uni Installer. Drop kext in, do not reboot.

You must add device id 0x028610de to several kexts:

-Natit.kext

-NVDA20Hal.kext

-GeForce.kext

-NVDAResman

Repair Permissions on each kext with:

sudo chown -R root:wheel

sudo chmod -R 755

Do Not Use AgpGart. You will lose QE on the display.

Reboot.

Internal screen will fade to white. Only external monitor works, but should have QE.

You may have to reboot first without external monitor, turn off, and then connect external. Also, try turning the computer on and closing the screen immedietly. This makes the external monitor primary.

If natit doesn't do it, try NvidiaEFI. Both worked for me, but with NvdiaEFI, My computer could max out CoD2, and with natit, it had to be on lowest settings to run smoothly.

Also, natit recognized my card as Unknown Nvidia, but NvidiaEFI recognized it properly as GeForce4 4200 Go.

I am experimenting with LaptopDisplay.kext to try to fix the fade to white on the internal monitor.

I have got it to recognize proper resolutions, but it is still white.

The external display is recognized properly with correct resolutions.

If all else fails, remove the blue plastic piece above the keyboard that says inspiron 8500 and disconnect the screen cable from the motherboard. Boot the computer with the external monitor.

Edited by thechickenman

Are you using your VGA connector on your laptop, or the DVI connector on the dock?

I am using a VGA monitor.

At first, the picure on the screen was actually there four times, split up into quandrants.

I groped around and found system preferences and changed the resolution and it fixed it.

The external monitor is detected properly as NEC FE750+ with correct resolutions, and QE.

If natit doesn't do it, try NvidiaEFI. Both worked for me, but with NvdiaEFI, My computer could max out CoD2, and with natit, it had to be on lowest settings to run smoothly.

So which version of Natit offers best performance?? Actually my system does seem a bit sluggish after going back to Natit from NVidiaEFI.kext. Though I think Titan has better performance than Natit.

EDIT: I have found that using NVidiaEFI actually gives a boost in performance. XBench reported a 5 point increase, and this game called Tracktor Beam, runs much smoother.

Edited by Unstable Connection

I am using a VGA monitor.

At first, the picure on the screen was actually there four times, split up into quandrants.

I groped around and found system preferences and changed the resolution and it fixed it.

The external monitor is detected properly as NEC FE750+ with correct resolutions, and QE.

I tried this on my VGA monitor and it did work. Resolution changes and QE. This ONLY worked when my laptop screen was on (although my laptop screen was not usable). If I closed my laptop screen at boot, the picture would not show up on the external monitor.

It also did not work with my flat panel... only my CRT.

Everything seemed to work as it should except for the RSS Screensaver. The text flew around, but the rotating background was messed up. Then it froze. :(

It's progress though!

I tried this on my VGA monitor and it did work. Resolution changes and QE. This ONLY worked when my laptop screen was on (although my laptop screen was not usable). If I closed my laptop screen at boot, the picture would not show up on the external monitor.

It also did not work with my flat panel... only my CRT.

Everything seemed to work as it should except for the RSS Screensaver. The text flew around, but the rotating background was messed up. Then it froze. :P

It's progress though!

I think i may have an idea why only crt monitors seem to work.

They seem to be more capable when it comes to resolution switching. When my computer boots with the external monitor, the monitor itself clicks several times while black, and then displays the image. I think the clicking is the monitor switching resolutions. It seems possible that laptop screens and LCD monitors are not capable of dealing with this switching, and "crash".

This may be why the internal monitors turn white with lines across when the kext is loaded, and once they do, nothing can get a picture back without rebooting. idk just an idea.

Koren try taking off the plastic piece above the screen and physically disconnecting the screen cable from the monitor. i believe it will then boot properly, with the external monitor as primary. This worked for me.

Where can I get NvidiaEFI.kext ?

//

found it..

can it be used without laptopdisplay ?

Member "Unstable Connection" says it works better with ti4200 then with Natit,

but I got a pc, not a laptop...

Edited by Kaspers

ummmm, Geforce 4 Ti 4200 is an AGP card. Also NVidiaEFI is just like Titan/Natit, but for some reason gives better performance.

Sorry to say, no. I have a Pine Geforce Ti4200 AGP 8X, but is identified as Leadtek. But from the specs and name of the card it seems to be the same.