overclocking P5PE-VM?

ollehto

9 posts in this topic

ok. im new to the pc world( 3 weeks or so) so sorry if I ask obvious questions.

I have a asus P5PE-VM mobo combined with a Pentium D 820 that i would like to overclock. The problem is that i dont have any options doing any tweaking in the bios which is AMI by the way. I only have os x installed on this pc. would the solution be to install windows and use some software to overclock? then what software? im open to any suggestions.

PS: Thanks to everyone contributing to this site. I've been using os x since the Ti-book and my mac at the moment is a MacBook Pro. Im starting to love my hckntsh though. Im actually using it more than my real mac... tnx

Guest bikedude880

That is theoretically possible but highly not recommended. If you screw up, you run the risk of bricking your motherboard. There might be a newer BIOS designed for your board that allows this. Check on the manufacturers website.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I already checked for that one. The manufacturers lock the FSB on the boards most of the time so you can't change series of chip and upgrade. You can go and get a cheap 975x chipset board like an ASRock board for 70 bucks, and it will do the trick. Anandtech did a review on that board and gave it really high marks. If you didn't know, ASRock is an asus company. The board sells for about 70bucks, plus you can get conroe chips later on down the road. Not a bad investment, and a step up from what you have now.

I already checked for that one. The manufacturers lock the FSB on the boards most of the time so you can't change series of chip and upgrade. You can go and get a cheap 975x chipset board like an ASRock board for 70 bucks, and it will do the trick. Anandtech did a review on that board and gave it really high marks. If you didn't know, ASRock is an asus company. The board sells for about 70bucks, plus you can get conroe chips later on down the road. Not a bad investment, and a step up from what you have now.

Ive had several ASRock boards, and they have all failed within a year or two, so i wasnt impressed, they are an ASUS company, but their quality is far from ASUS, so ill never get one again. but thanks for the input, i guess i wont be overclocking. and this is just my opinion on ASRock, im sure other people have had good things to say, i just cant say that ive had good luck with them.

Edited by C0mputerNick

• 2 weeks later...