Google Page Creator

McSkywalker

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'd like to build a refined knowledge base on the google page creator in this thread.

For the people who are unfamiliar with it, it's basically a web-based website builder application. You can sign up with your gmail account, then create and publish your own website. The hosting is free and it currently gives you 100 MB of web space with a limitation of 500 files uploaded. It gives you quite a few templates to choose from, different layouts for your different pages, and gives you direct access to a lot of gadgets to include in your site. However, there are some limitations. You don't have full control on the html code of your pages, you can only edit between the div tags - which are visible on the google page creator's ui. You can't use FTP. You have to tweak the code in order to do some basic things.

The google page creator sometimes gets stubborn and doesn't want lo let you do some basic tasks. People are having difficulties in applying css's, inserting flash animations, properly inserting images, etc.

I've found some quick solutions for some of these:

Applying CSS - this is real handy if you want to create a really personalized page with the google page creator.

There are two ways to apply them. The below code is to apply a background image via inline css:

<style type="text/css"> body {background-image: url('nameofthebgimage.gif'); background-repeat: repeat x}</style>

Generally the user is advised to put this code into the header section, but I've figured out that if you insert this code into -like- the middle section on the three column layout, it behaves less problematic.

The second way is to apply your css is kinda tricky. You can use an external css file, but when you exit end re-enter the edit section, you see that the link to the external css file is erased by GPC. Anyway, the code for it:

<LINK href="nameofyourfile.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>

Nothing special here. Normally you insert this code before the <body> tag, but it also works - even if it's kinda crippled - when you insert it in the body.

Flash insertion - You need to create a new div tag in order to be able to properly insert a flash file. So the code is:

<div class="wrapper"><div id="g_sidebar"><embed src="nameofyourfile.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="140" width="780"></div>
</div>

Change the height and width to fit your swf.

Also create a new div tag to insert an image.

I'd like to hear some more tweaks from you guys.

You're welcome :pirate2: It's very normal to be unaware of it, they're like almost hiding it.

Here are some useful links to google's services:

Google products

Google Mac Widgets

Google Docs & Spreadsheets You can create documents and spreadsheets online, save them in different formats, even as pdf's! :unsure:

I'm currently building an exprimental site in there, I'll post it in my blog when it gets finished..