Natit working, now iSight video jerky

macmaniac

12 posts in this topic

Did two installs, just to make sure. iSight is fine (with Adaptec 8300 FW card) until natit is installed. Then the video gets jerky. DVDs play fine, and the iSight is still working fine on my Powermac G5.

So that kinda leaves some sort of conflict between accelerated PCIe video and PCI firewire. Thoughts, suggestions. Anything I can do to try to solve this?

So that kinda leaves some sort of conflict between accelerated PCIe video and PCI firewire.

That seems like a rather odd proposition. I would try to further isolate the problem by using a different FireWire card and motherboard if possible. Perhaps you can also see if adjusting iSight parameters has any influence.

Just tried this. Took the 8300 card out, booted, shutdown, put 8300 card back in. Now FW card is not recognized, and iSight doesn't work at all. Well at least the card didn't cost me much.......

Bofors, thanks for the reply. I'll try a cheap FW400 card from a local store as well, then maybe swap my old mobo in. It did work on the old mobo, but at that time, I didn't have the 7300/natit up and running....

Anything in BIOS to try? What is that PCI latency setting? Does it do anything? Its set to 32 (default).

boo50, I checked your link, hopefully you'll get that sorted out. I've never spent so much time troubleshooting, evar :hammer:

My problem is definitely hardware, and definitely the firewire card. <_<

I just tried WinXP. Normally it finds the iSight camera (not that it worked well). Now its not finding it at all. :P

I'm going to try a different card. :)

So.... I bought another firewire card. Same deal. Jerky iSight. {censored}. :angry:

I have another motherboard, the Intel 945GTPKLR. But it already has onboard firewire. And does NOT support Conroe. My planned upgrade path is Conroe.....

So... I could try a different video card but thats a pricey gamble..... :unsure:

I have another motherboard, the Intel 945GTPKLR. But it already has onboard firewire.

I think you should give this a shot, just to see if it solves the problem.

If it doesn't your graphics card (or something in OS X) may be the real issue.

Happens in Win XP, so its not just a Hackintosh issue.

I'm not sure I want to swap to a different mobo. Even if it did work, I'm not using the motherboard that I want to use. I'll try the two companies tech support(s) and see if there is a fix that way.. :)

I've kinda got to the bottom of it. One word. Bandwidth.

In windows, I did get iSight recognized. Installed a generic cam viewer. It refused to play the video until I lowered the resolution from 640X480 to 320x240. I adjusted the exposure (too bright in windows) and VOILA jerk free video.

PCIe video sucks up all the bandwidth, leaving the PCI bus with nothing. So maybe the ASRock board has {censored} bandwith, or perhaps is a 945G chipset problem.

Or maybe a PCIe 1X firewire adapter is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a SIIG PCIe FireWire 800 card. Not a cheap solution, and was hoping to get iChat AV working.....

iSight with Photo Booth works, Video Preview in iChat AV works, video jerks only rarely, with a couple of stubborn multicolored pixels sometimes. There was never AV iChat problems on my G5 dual Powermac.

However, on the MackinHack, iChat AV seems to have some issues....