HD TV as monitor?

19 posts in this topic

I know nothing about HD-TV, so i was wondering if anyone knows if you could use a standard HD-TV as a display for a mac pro. Apple cinema 30" looks nice, but you can get a 40" sony hd-tv a good deal cheaper. does dvi input come with hd-tv's? any disadvantages to apple display if this is possible?

Edited by Dr. Evil

thanks macgirl. the apple 30" is so tempting, i've been considering it for a while. anyone have one? i hear the colour is superb.

I had two 23" Cinema Displays for a little while... almost opted for the 30" but ended up getting a 30" Dell (and I'm plenty content)

I bought a 30" right after the price drop when the Mac Pro was announced, and I can't recommend it more highly. I use it for video editing, a HUGE workspace, and a screen for playing DVDs, TV, and XBOX360. If you can afford it, go for it... you won't be disappointed.

Can it be connected to a HD-TV Cable Box?

Not sure, since I use a TV-tuner card on my PC in order to watch TV and play XBOX. I would assume that it's possible to use it as a TV monitor since it works at 1280x800 resolution when I plug it into the wrong DVI port on my graphics card (it requires dual-link DVI to get to 2560x1600). I don't have a cable box to test with, but as long as your box has a DVI output, I would venture to guess that it should work.

I have a 23" on Mr.Mac Pro, she works well with intense graphics, and dvd's. But after all i have 4 graphics cards running.

I would recomend the 30" if you dont want to watch tv on it. (i mean tv tuner).

But go for a panasonic hdtv because they have better coders!

BaYlisS

SXRD is the best in my opinion and I prefer LCD, my next one will be 50" SXRD :)

At the time I got my Hitachi it was just beating out the latest Sony at the time, but the higher end Pioneers have come a long way in Plasma but have always been overpriced.

Edited by joe75

SXRD is the best in my opinion and I prefer LCD, my next one will be 50" SXRD :)

At the time I got my Hitachi it was just beating out the latest Sony at the time, but the higher end Pioneers have come a long way in Plasma but have always been overpriced.

What Hitachi do you have? I have the 50v500 and am having the pink spot issue as well as lamp problems. I too am about to upgrade to the sony.

What Hitachi do you have? I have the 50v500 and am having the pink spot issue as well as lamp problems. I too am about to upgrade to the sony.

Do you have DVI? I had the 50V500 and had to exchange it about 4 months after purchase because of the red/pink screen problem, it was exchanged for the same model. I had the new one for about the same amount of time and the same thing happened again, so I reamed CircuitCity and Hitachi and all they would do was send it out to get serviced by Hitachi. They had to order a whole new light engine and it had to come from Hitachi in Japan so I had to wait like three weeks to get it back. I was assured that the problem was fixed and it wouldn't be back, that is because they knew of the problem and this was after a new model was out with no problems.

So I have this one for almost a year and I start to see burn in form just switching channels and it was very bad, it would happen from my computer, HD or even regular channels. I had purchased a two year extended warranty and it was close to the end so I called them up and bitched my way to a floor model 50VS810 and I'm more then satisfied with it, but I had to give up my precious DVI jack for a {censored} ass HDMI. I did gain a HD tuner though so I'm not complaining and I feel like the took care of me. This one is black and looks just like a Plasma and thats what makes it look cool and I've had it for about a year and have not had any problems.

The SXRD kills all other LCDs and I cant wait to get one, it can be used just as a monitor and has completely functional EDIDs.

Do you have DVI? I had the 50V500 and had to exchange it about 4 months after purchase because of the red/pink screen problem, it was exchanged for the same model. I had the new one for about the same amount of time and the same thing happened again, so I reamed CircuitCity and Hitachi and all they would do was send it out to get serviced by Hitachi. They had to order a whole new light engine and it had to come from Hitachi in Japan so I had to wait like three weeks to get it back. I was assured that the problem was fixed and it wouldn't be back, that is because they knew of the problem and this was after a new model was out with no problems.

So I have this one for almost a year and I start to see burn in form just switching channels and it was very bad, it would happen from my computer, HD or even regular channels. I had purchased a two year extended warranty and it was close to the end so I called them up and bitched my way to a floor model 50VS810 and I'm more then satisfied with it, but I had to give up my precious DVI jack for a {censored} ass HDMI. I did gain a HD tuner though so I'm not complaining and I feel like the took care of me. This one is black and looks just like a Plasma and thats what makes it look cool and I've had it for about a year and have not had any problems.

The SXRD kills all other LCDs and I cant wait to get one, it can be used just as a monitor and has completely functional EDIDs.

Yes, I have DVI not that it matters with the awful pink blob. I am now out of warranty and no one will give me a quote for the repair without having a service call. I know the lamp engine needs to be replaced but they won't accept thatober the phone. It looks as if that repair is going cost between $1000-1500 and cosidering I am due for a bulb I have come to the conclusion that it needs to be replaced. I have been eyeing that sony for a few months and am really close to pulling the trigger.

I recently bought a Samsung 32" display and I love it as a monitor. After I changed the font in Safari, all was clear. The only thing is, now, on my MBP, the resolution is 1280 X 720. So, there are big black bars on the top and bottom of my screen, but I don't look at the screen often anyway.

Edited by ajb01