What is the difference between a Mac and a PC?

17 posts in this topic

I was checking out the new Intel Macs, hardware specks and found that there is no difference in the hardware that goes in to a new Mac and of those that go in to making a PC. Mac is releasing OS X leopard soon, and the question on my mind is will this new OS install on a compatible PC. I haven’t really found anything good on this subject except that Mac is mostly a proprietary based system. And they do not allow the installation of there OS on other non Mac Pc’s.

If any body has some info please share.

I haven’t really found anything good on this subject except that Mac is mostly a proprietary based system. And they do not allow the installation of there OS on other non Mac Pc’s.

If any body has some info please share.

Microsoft also has a proprietary operating system. So does Linux. What's the problem?

Mac is releasing OS X leopard soon, and the question on my mind is will this new OS install on a compatible PC.

No it won't. That is mainly because Macs use EFI, while PCs use BIOS (or at least a simulation of it: my motherboard, Intel D945GNT, has in fact EFI)

RavenEd:

The only real difference with the Intel Macs and normal PCs when it comes down to the consumer is that Macs can legally run MacOS. Apple has added protection in OS X to make sure of it. It's true that you can get cracked copies of Tiger that will install on normal PCs, but those don't always work 100% and again are illegal.

About leopard on PCs: as of right now no one knows if leopard will be cracked... But the chances of Apple letting leopard install on PCs is low because apple makes money off of hardware and overall this would lead to a loss in profit for them.

I hope this cleared anything up if you were still confused... I also kinda get the feeling that you are new here and to the OSx86 scene... Look around the forums some... Most of your questions will be answered there.

Just a hint you might want to look at the OSX86 part of the forum.

Edited by SenVa

No it won't. That is mainly because Macs use EFI, while PCs use BIOS (or at least a simulation of it: my motherboard, Intel D945GNT, has in fact EFI)

Leopard doesn't NEED EFI to run on PC's. If Tiger ran without EFI, why can't Leopard? Even now, people are running Leopard on their Hackintoshes (like myself) without EFI. I have a 915 chipset and Leo is running great.

Leopard doesn't NEED EFI to run on PC's. If Tiger ran without EFI, why can't Leopard? Even now, people are running Leopard on their Hackintoshes (like myself) without EFI. I have a 915 chipset and Leo is running great.

We know that a hacked OS X doesn't need EFI, but a standard one? Have you hacked Leopard yourself or found somewhere a hacked version?

As far as I know, other then the Apple casing, etc. the only other difference between a 'Mac' and a 'PC' hardware-wise is the TPM module installed in the Macs, and the EFI supporting motherboards they use. Which is not something that will always be true, and wasn't really intended to make it more difficult to crack. In the future, there are plans for EFI to fully replace BIOS in all PCs -- it just hasn't happened yet and of course Apple likes to be the first to use new technology so they're ahead of everyone else.

In the future, I believe, if you have all compatible hardware (which you can easily pick out and build a fully OS X compatible PC) the only thing that will need to be cracked or bypassed is the TPM module that's intended to prevent it -- and you will be good to go.

Edited by tehnick

indeed - nobody knows if elopard can be cracked because it is going to have more protection to install in only genuine apple hardware. there will be a chip on the motherboard to tell it if its genuine -

"There will be"? hahahahahaha. We've been battling this "chip" right from the start, man :)

Colonel- so leopard is cracked now. Great news I guess :D

When did Leopard get cracked? If it's true it gives us a lot of hope on the final version being cracked too.