Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

Guest bikedude880

Screenshot courtesy of iMacen: DSCN1050.JPG

This points out a very simple to fix error. IOResources: family specific matching fails.

Now, if this error is linked to this kext and not another one, then this should be a simple fix. If it isn't... I don't even want to think about it...

Guest bikedude880

Ok, I think I know what went wrong the last time. This new one is for SATA ONLY! I haven't added in the IOKit Personality in Info.plist yet. That will come once I get confirmation that I either screwed up this test or not.

IOATAFamily_nVidia.zip

whats the best way to install this,

i copied it to system library extensions, then i put OnboardPCATA inside your IOATAFamily.kext, so I got PATA support, is that the wrong thing to do? or do i just leave as it but if it doesnt boot then what can i do?

Edited by timmyj

Guest bikedude880
whats the best way to install this,

i copied it to system library extensions, then i put OnboardPCATA inside your IOATAFamily.kext, so I got PATA support, is that the wrong thing to do?

You aren't supposed to put the OnboardPCATA kext inside IOATAFamily. What I am providing is all ready to go. Just open up a Terminal and type: sudo sh repair.sh

That shell script will repair the permissions on the kext and remove the mkext and kextcache files.

However, you say that OnboardPCATA gives you actual ATA support?

when i dropped AppleOnboardPCATA.kext into the PlugIns directory of your IOATAFamily.kext it booted fine, your driver loaded however SATA was not detected, and i had SMART Status verified (on my PATA Drive) which i didnt have before, however just dropping that kext in unchanged had still waiting for root device for me

Edited by timmyj

Guest bikedude880

Feedback people, feedback. Even if it's "This stupid POS doesn't work. Fix it you {censored}!" I would be happier. Otherwise I'll just lose the motivation (as this project in no way benefits me).

Guest bikedude880
How about an nforce4 sata irc channel?
Tat seems a decent idea.... :(:D

Ideas become reality. #nforce4sata is now open on the IRC server.

Guest bikedude880

Anything in this post is reference for me:

Timing:

162 /* for amd and nvidia */

163 static const int8_t amd7x6_udma_tim[] __attribute__((__unused__)) =

164 {0x02, 0x01, 0x00, 0x04, 0x05, 0x06, 0x07};

Guest bikedude880

Ok, seeing as my first attempt had better luck, I am reverting back to that source. This time, I have included IOATAFamily compiled in debug mode so that a little more information on any errors that might arise.

Backup IOATAFamily.kext and AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext. Drop the new ones from the archive into /System/Library/Extensions and run the provided script. Reboot and hope it loads.

nForce4__IOATAFamily_and_OnboardPCATA__DEBUG.zip

IOATAFamily.kext.zip