Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

Somehow I managed to follow this and I realized that my 80gb Sata2 drive was set as an extended with a logical. I don't really feel like messing with it, so I wiped out Xp (HAHA) and my 250gb Sata2 drive and split it into two drives. I -love- starting out fresh. LOL.

edit: Just a note for those out there to not necessarily follow what I did. I'm in the middle of it right now and I'm simply guessing that it worked (typing from my old faithful G4 iBook). There are so many better ways to switch from extended to primary, I'm just a lazy a$$. I had literally nothing on my XP drive of any consequence...so what I'm trying to say is: Don't be like me :)

joneSi

And I'm simply giving an update here, folks, but I have successfully installed to my SATAII 250gb drive using an image patched with the NForceSATA ppf patch. It is AWESOME. Went from an Xbench score of about 100 to one just a shade under 130.

Also, thank you to whoever included the forcedeth installer with the NForceSATA ppf...I was getting tired of having to find my little pen drive every time and doing an install on it. Saved me another step.

joneSi

With XBench, I'm getting around 60 with a SATA 1 HD.

Isn't it a bit slow?

I also have a SATA2 HD, but it's in NTFS using MacFuse, so XBench won't test it.

Is 60 your xbench overall score, or just your HDD score?

If its your overall score, I think its a tad low. But without knowing more about your system, that is a difficult to answer. Hold on, I'm going to check your sig to see if you have your info there.

edit: ok so you don't have it in your sig. If you get a minute, let us know your system...ie processor, ram, mobo, gfx card, HDD etc.

joneSi

Edited by joneSi

so I got it working on a A8N-SLI. Well done for the coding and thanks a lot! :D

Now, I can only read from the drive but I guess that is normal? Would making another Journaled system disk or something give me read/write?

Again, thanks for this drive :whistle:

60 is just my HD score.

AMD64 3200+, 512MB RAM, Video GeForce 6000 128mb, Mobo dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d.

Thanks

Fede

Normal IMO for a SATA I drive on that setup. Time for some more ram and a SATA2 drive (then OVERCLOCK!) it'll scream. But for now, as long as you are happy, I guess that you know that you have room for upgrades.

joneSi

Thanks for the driver... still doesn't work 100% for me, but it looks promising.

Tried the patched tubgirl image and installation saw my internal HD, but once I rebooted the whole computer started locking up until I removed the kext (installed to an external hd for testing).

keep up the good work!

HP pavilion dv6119us with nforce 430/410 SATA controller.

I think this project is kinda dead now.... There are no more updates and I've lost any hopes to see MCP working. Let's just hope that some other skilled programmer decide to take the project and continue the great work started by bikedude880 and MeDevil.

Guest bikedude880
I think this project is kinda dead now.... There are no more updates and I've lost any hopes to see MCP working. Let's just hope that some other skilled programmer decide to take the project and continue the great work started by bikedude880 and MeDevil.

This project is most certainly not dead yet. There is work being done in the background and people are testing it as it is still quite buggy. The fewer machines with important data that have to be fixed after a faulty install, the better. Just wait for a RC to show up or for the thread to not have any posts for a few weeks before you call the project "dead."

Hey guys, does anyone know how to actually get the DVD to install this kext rather than just replacing AppleVIAATA.kext in extensions.mkext on the DVD? It's no issue to copy it once the system is installed, but it would be nice to do it all in one go from the DVD.

Check out a few pages back for a PPF file link.

Phase 1. Get 'tubgirl' iso that is floating around out there on the :) bay. Apply PPF patch to the ISO that you downloaded. Make new install dvd. See sata drives connected to nforce4 sata controller.

Phase 2. [holds hands up]

Phase 3. Profit

joneSi

edit: I've had issues running PPF Patcher on my 'Opteron-Mac' under os x. IDK what would cause this (even the java version is a little screwy for me). I'd try to do this under Xp/Vista...although that isn't any picnic either and can be VERY tempermental.

Edited by joneSi

Check out a few pages back for a PPF file link.

Phase 1. Get 'tubgirl' iso that is floating around out there on the ;) bay. Apply PPF patch to the ISO that you downloaded. Make new install dvd. See sata drives connected to nforce4 sata controller.

Phase 2. [holds hands up]

Phase 3. Profit

joneSi

edit: I've had issues running PPF Patcher on my 'Opteron-Mac' under os x. IDK what would cause this (even the java version is a little screwy for me). I'd try to do this under Xp/Vista...although that isn't any picnic either and can be VERY tempermental.

I've always found that the linux command line ppf patcher works the best.

Guest bikedude880
any question

can i format my sata drivers with this patch (defiant + bikedude880)???

i ve nForce 570 SLI

many thanks for your great work

Nope. Hence the name of the thread "Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller" ;)

It would appear as if you have an nForce 5 mobo.

Many drivers start by only supporting one or 2 devices, in this case nForce4. There is no reason why nForce5 can't be supported in the future (unless it handles the chip differently.)