Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

I've searched around the :D to no avail. Nothing for myzar and no ppf's. What am i missing?

joneSi

EDIT: Looks like I posted prematurely, the link to the PPF for TubGirl image is on page 15 of this thread. I already have TubGirls image, will report back here later.

Tubgirl with ppf works perfectly, no errors on the os is super speedy now :P

thanks again

Here is what i got with Xbench, so you can compare. (quite same results with Xbench 1.3)

Results 112.28

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type Maxtor 6V320F0

Disk Test 112.28

Sequential 120.69

Uncached Write 123.77 75.99 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 117.85 66.68 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 124.13 36.33 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 117.36 58.98 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 104.97

Uncached Write 99.94 10.58 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 103.98 33.29 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 95.47 0.68 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 124.87 23.17 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Patched the 10.4.8 Jas iso to include the kext. Now I can see the the SATA drives but can't do anyting with them.

Any operation I attempt - it times out. I tried with the disk tool, console (fdisk -e .....) but still no luck.

I've got NVIDIA MCP55 Chipset and GA-M57SLI-S4 mobo.

Shell I try to download the tubgirl ISO (it is going to be another week till I get it :-<)

Will it work? I have downloaded two ISOs so far, but if I'm sure it's going to work...

Cheers

Edited by magare

Patched the 10.4.8 Jas iso to include the kext. Now I can see the the SATA drives but can't do anyting with them.

Any operation I attempt - it times out. I tried with the disk tool, console (fdisk -e .....) but still no luck.

I've got NVIDIA MCP55 Chipset and GA-M57SLI-S4 mobo.

Shell I try to download the tubgirl ISO (it is going to be another week till I get it :-<)

Will it work? I have downloaded two ISOs so far, but if I'm sure it's going to work...

Cheers

This is the case with all MCP51 and MCP55 chips. Hopefully support will arrive soon.

OK, so I can install on SATA nforce 4 via patched 'tubgirl' image but I can't boot the drive. IDK why. I set it to boot via BIOS and make it the ONLY drive connected and it hangs on me before anything happens...its still stuck on my bios screen after posting. I tried using the xp diskpart and then setboot command but nothing happens. Does OS X need to be on Logical or Extended?

IIRC it needs to be a logical drive. Any suggestions would be wonderful...

TIA,

joneSi

Please don't nag....it won't help them come up with a solution any faster. All of us are eager for a driver fix but we have to be patient. One way you could encourage them though is give a nice donation. :P

Are you the same skeezicks (skeezix) as on the GP32x forum, the Zodaic forum, and other various emulator forums?

Does OS X need to be on Logical or Extended?
From what I read, it needs to be a primary partition, so Logical would be the answer.

Noob here, so please don't flame...

If I patch a Jas Image to include this kext, will the installer be able to install OSX to a sata hdd?

I don'ts think so, but it'd nice if I could...

Assuming your chipset works (currently) and you patch it right, then yes.

I have an nForce4 SLi. The problem is that I tried before I knew of this sata problem and already made one hdd unbootable. I'm somewhat worried what this'll to to it... Of those who had problems, what was your recovery process? It'd be something useful to know.

I've had a success after that failure, though, but it was on an 8 year old pata drive.

Does OS X need to be on Logical or Extended?

From what I read, it needs to be a primary partition, so Logical would be the answer.

Hmm... Logicals are always inside Extended partition. So it's a primary, not a logical nor extended that should be chosen.

It is possible to install OSX in a logical partition, but under special conditions, and can't be booted directly (would need third party bootloader, or another osx install in a primary).

Usually, to have less problems, you should make a primary partition before the extended partition (if you have one).

Edited by cbmkgd

Hi Guys,

I have a AMD X2 64 bit laptop hpdv9008nr with Nvidia nforce 430/410 Sata. I tired installing with tubgirl+nforce ppf. Everything loads ok. disk utility finds harddrive ok. But when I try to format it gives an error says disk erase failed.. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

V-man

Hmm... Logicals are always inside Extended partition. So it's a primary, not a logical nor extended that should be chosen.

It is possible to install OSX in a logical partition, but under special conditions, and can't be booted directly (would need third party bootloader, or another osx install in a primary).

Usually, to have less problems, you should make a primary partition before the extended partition (if you have one).

Somehow I managed to follow this and I realized that my 80gb Sata2 drive was set as an extended with a logical. I don't really feel like messing with it, so I wiped out Xp (HAHA) and my 250gb Sata2 drive and split it into two drives. I -love- starting out fresh. LOL.

edit: Just a note for those out there to not necessarily follow what I did. I'm in the middle of it right now and I'm simply guessing that it worked (typing from my old faithful G4 iBook). There are so many better ways to switch from extended to primary, I'm just a lazy a$$. I had literally nothing on my XP drive of any consequence...so what I'm trying to say is: Don't be like me :)

joneSi

Edited by joneSi

Well, I've been working on this for the better part of a week, and I just can't get it working. I'm running an Athlon 3200+ Venice (SS3) on an Asus NForce4 A8N5X board with an 80G SATA drive.

First I downloaded the Tubgirl ISO and tried installing that, but wasn't having much luck. So then I decided to try the VMWare method with the JaS 10.4.8 AMD disc. I managed to get it installed, but I couldn't boot into Mac OS because I was getting an HFS+ Partition Error. I figured this was a result of of my SATA drive, but I had no way of applying the patch as I could not actually get into Mac OS, even in VMWare. Then I decided to try the Tubgirl ISO again, this time in VMWare, and I managed to install it just fine. I still got an HFS+ Partition Error on boot, but I followed a guide to fix it and actually got into the Darwin loader. Unfortunately, I was then presented with a "Still Waiting on Root Device" problem, and that's where I am now. I get that when I try to boot from the BIOS, and I still get an HFS+ Partition Error if I try to access it from Vista (since I have to mark my Vista partition as active to get into it and run VMWare).

So that's where I am now. I'm not really sure what my options are at this point. Tubgirl doesn't work for me, and I have no way of using the patch since the JaS image doesn't work either. I might have an old PATA hard drive stored away somewhere, so I think I'll try and find that. I'm disappointed that my dual-boot SATA dreams are over though.

Can somoene please post a link to the meDevil PPF patch for Tubgirl. I can't seem to download from the previous link and it is really starting t frustrate me :)

Can't someone create a torrent for this file? If I can get a hold of it I will torrent it so we can all get a hold of it....

Thanks in advance.

Can somoene please post a link to the meDevil PPF patch for Tubgirl. I can't seem to download from the previous link and it is really starting t frustrate me :)

Can't someone create a torrent for this file? If I can get a hold of it I will torrent it so we can all get a hold of it....

Thanks in advance.

Jacko...

PM me.

joneSi