Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

OK SATA is now working for me I uses the patched tubgirl dvd ans installed off of that then copied all my setting / apps from the pata drive.

okay, so I will let the things CLEAR here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE! ALL MUST READ THAT BEFORE POST ANY DISPENSABLE QUESTION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Until now (feb-5-2007) the nForce 410/430 (MCP51) IS NOT SUPPORTED with MeDevil kext. They only enable reading from the SATA HD on this chipset.

For all other nForce4 users, it seems to run 100% without errors. Works both reading and writing, so you can even boot using your SATA HD with these kext.

-------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know how to install it

-------------------------------------------------

You have 2 ways to do that:

1) USE VMWARE

This is the easiest way to get it working. Just get VMWare (if you already don't have - DEMO versions work too) and install macos using a virtual machine on VMWare that access your entire SATA disk. The installation must work. Then boot to OSX (still on VMWare) and then install the kext using MacOS. The way to install is the same:

Copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily/Contents/PlugIns

Open terminal and type:

sudo -s

(type your password and press ENTER)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

exit

exit

then reboot nativelly (without VMWare) and it should work.

2) TUBGIRL IMAGE

If you have a fast internet conection and a lot of patience, you can download the TubGirl patched OSX that have the MeDevil kext inside the iso (see previous posts). After downloading, just proceed as usual to install and boot. It should work correctly and detect you HD on instalation (if you have nForce4 - NOT MCP51)

that's it!

Greetings,

Thico Alves

okay, so I will let the things CLEAR here:

PLEASE! ALL MUST READ THAT BEFORE POST ANY DISPENSABLE QUESTION

Until now (feb-5-2007) the nForce 410/430 (MCP51) IS NOT SUPPORTED with MeDevil kext. They only enable reading from the SATA HD on this chipset.

For all other nForce4 users, it seems to run 100% without errors. Works both reading and writing, so you can even boot using your SATA HD with these kext.

Thanks for clearing everything up, I've been watching this thread closely, but haven't really found a definite answer on the status of the Nforce 410/430 functionality until now. Can't wait for it to be fully supported! :)

Hi guys! I finally got tired of waiting for a ppf for the Jas dvd, so I downloaded myzar's and used his ppf. I am SOOOO happy!!! I am posting this using Mac OS X on my Amd x2 4800+ box. I have an nforce4 ultra chipset (modded to sli) and it seems to work great. Thanks a ton to medevil and to myzar for making this possible for me!! I now get 160 in xbench with no disk test and 120s with disk test, but it's still way better than before. Thanks again everyone!!

This is Grrrrreat news, now i can get my Hackintosh up and running on a decent drive, cant find the TubGirl image.? I will have to download the Jas image and 2 PPF`s for it I guess, already did it once was corrupt and would not install, unless you can help me out.

I'm trying to help MeDevil with fixing support for nforce mcp51. In linux mcp51, mcp61 and afaik all other mcp 5x and mcp 6x are supported by one driver and one set of routines in that driver, so when nforce mcp51 works all others will probably too. Yesterday I discovered something odd with timings reported in dmesg, so perhaps the problem is there... Other than that MeDevil hasn't been able to figure out what could be the problem yet, so I really hope it's here and we can fix it...

Anyway, all of you with mcp chipsets don't worry, we're not forgetting you...

Greetings,

Michael

I'm trying to help MeDevil with fixing support for nforce mcp51. In linux mcp51, mcp61 and afaik all other mcp 5x and mcp 6x are supported by one driver and one set of routines in that driver, so when nforce mcp51 works all others will probably too. Yesterday I discovered something odd with timings reported in dmesg, so perhaps the problem is there... Other than that MeDevil hasn't been able to figure out what could be the problem yet, so I really hope it's here and we can fix it...

Greetings,

Michael

Thank you for helping us!

Greetings,

Michael

That's great news dude!! When will you be available on IRC? I want to help you guys. I have a MCP51 notebook and was using it for tests.

Any help or testing that can be done I can help too - I'm on an Asus A8N-VM CSM which is an MCP51 board. Everything working almost perfectly except one remaining thing - SATA. I have the current version installed and reading seems absolutely fine, I've tried doing numerous md5sums of large files (5GB+) without error etc.

one small correction there evanrodge.. mcp 67 uses ahci and not sata_nv in linux :P

read the libata changelogs for more info

one small correction there evanrodge.. mcp 67 uses ahci and not sata_nv in linux :)

Man, I'll be straight with you, I have no idea what all that means :P . However, i can tell you that Sabayon Linux does indeed work well.

Guest bikedude880
one small correction there evanrodge.. mcp 67 uses ahci and not sata_nv in linux :)

Man, I'll be straight with you, I have no idea what all that means :P . However, i can tell you that Sabayon Linux does indeed work well.
The Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA devices such as host bus adapters which are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA controllers besides higher speeds, like hot-plugging and native command queuing. The specification details a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors, in order to transfer data between system memory and the device.

The AHCI protocol was announced by Intel in a May 2003 press release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host...oller_Interface

ok

AHCI as bikedude stated is an open source protocol specification introduced by intel..

Nvidia used their own specification to handle SATA earlier, which is handled by sata_nv in linux.. for mcp 67, they are using AHCI, which is why engineers at nvidia have patched the ahci driver to add nf 680 support

:)

Edited by aPpLeFrEaKpEePs