Natit for Nvidia with dual display

bofors

161 posts in this topic

It seems that a number of Nvidia users have had problems running dual displays with the newer versions of Natit. Although I did not try all of them, I had problems too, my second display was sideways and without the mouse cursor.

Natit v0.02 works for dual displays on many Nvidia systems and it is what I am using. I am also re-posting Natit v0.01, which should work for VGA/DVI Nvidia cards, for people who have problems with v0.02 and want to try something else.

However, v0.01 and v0.02 are very similiar, v0.02 merely adds the "@0,NVMT" key and value. For more information on these key-values pairs and how these dual display versions of Natit for Nvidia was developed, see these threads:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=31833

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32536

Now for people who have problems, here are two general suggestions:

A. Make sure you are using a clean install of 10.4.8. People who upgrade to 10.4.8 (or mess with the Nvidia kexts) often have problems.

B. Make sure you follow these instructions (specifically removing the .kextcache and .mkext) when installing Natit (again, these instructions and the original idea of Natit are credited to Omni).

(1) Put the Natit kext in your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. 

(2) Correct the file premissions: 

sudo chown -R root:wheel Natit.kext; sudo chmod -R 755 Natit.kext 

(3) Remove the cached and packed extensions: 

sudo rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache 

(4) Reboot.

UPDATE: Natit for dual display works with Leopard (10.5) too.

Natit_Dual_v0.02.zip

Natit_Dual_v0.01.zip

Hi friend,

i use a natit v0.02 and work fine with my fx 5600(vga+dvi), in extend mod, but dont have mirror.

and i ask for you, you have any idea for ati X1600 dual display config? i try gaucho .plist but i have a fleker vga monitor...

thanks,

i use a natit v0.02 and work fine with my fx 5600(vga+dvi), in extend mod, but dont have mirror.

Natit v0.02 (and v0.01) does not seem work in mirror mode and I think that the "Detect Displays" functionality may have problems too. I had hoped that newer versions of Natit would fix these problems, but I have not been following the progress.

and i ask for you, you have any idea for ati X1600 dual display config? i try gaucho .plist but i have a fleker vga monitor...

I have no ATI cards (but three Nvidia XFX 7600GS's) and have not been following the ATI progress either, so I really have no ideas for you here either except that if you can get an IO Reg dump from a Mac Pro running dual displays from an ATI card, then you might be able to find a set of key-values pairs like we did for Nvidia (see the threads I referenced above for more details).

I hope that someone with development skills takes an interest in perfecting Natit, but unfortunately I do not the time to work on it now. Since getting dual displays working in extended desktop mode, my commitment is now limited to organizing and promoting the project.

.. if you can get an IO Reg dump from a Mac Pro running dual displays from an ATI card, then you might be able to find a set of key-values pairs like we did for Nvidia (see the threads I referenced above for more details).

I now see that the ATI IO Reg dumps from a Mac Pro are already available here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32645

bofors, I am currently using your v0.02 Natit kext with my 7600GT...works as well as people seem to be reporting, but im trying to get things such as Detect Display to work and am looking for the IOReg dump from a mac using a 7600gt with dual screens.

I made a post here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35494 but didn't get any useful responses...have you seen this around the forum anywhere? Thanks for your help.

bofors, I am currently using your v0.02 Natit kext with my 7600GT...works as well as people seem to be reporting, but im trying to get things such as Detect Display to work and am looking for the IOReg dump from a mac using a 7600gt with dual screens.

I see, so you want an IO Reg dump from a 24" iMac with the 7600GT running dual displays (an external display). It would interesting to compare that 7300GT IO Reg dump from the Mac Pro anyways.

Don Luca has a 24" iMac, but I am not sure if he has the 7600GT and an extra display: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26891

You can send him PM to ask and also start a thread in the Apple Hardware forum here asking for someone who has what we need to help out: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=26891

Natit v0.02 (and v0.01) does not seem work in mirror mode and I think that the "Detect Displays" functionality may have problems too.

AFAIK, detect displays only crashes my combos when I boot with DVI + VGA displays attached and hit detect displays.

If I boot with 1 single display, then hot plug a second display when OS X is loaded and hit detect displays, it does not crash my rigs...

If I boot with 1 single display, then hot plug a second display when OS X is loaded and hit detect displays, it does not crash my rigs...

Ok, but does "detect displays" work for you that way? Can you add a second display by hot pluging and get it working with Natit?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm using v0.01 with my XFX 7900 GT/GTO:

GeForce 7900 GT/GTO:

Chipset Model: GeForce 7900 GT/GTO

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0291

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

electr19b4:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

HM903D/DT:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Everything is working on my 2 19" CRT screens! and FAST..

v0.02 was not working ;)

I just put the v0.01 in the System/Library/Extentions/ dir and changed the permissions, rebooted and working. No chaning of kext files! No mouse tearing, like my old ATI X800..

Thanx for the development!!

Gompy

I tried both Natit's and no luck in detecting my second monitor.

Here's my setup:

2s1vgcl.png

^It is not PCI, it is AGP, maybe that's the problem?

I have a MAG 17" CRT 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz and a undetected NEC MultiSync TFT LCD display @ 1024x768.

Edited by Hara Taiki

Just puted on my computer Club3D Nvidia GeForce 6200LE (ven - 10de; dev - 0163).

After puting Natit_Dual_v0.02 at first time system crashed with that message in 4 languages to keep turn off button. And next time when I was trying to boot, monitor just turns off. Was trying to boot as before, whith Intel onboard video, but booting hangs on blue screen. And the bad thing is, that I cant get in to terminal, trying to keep F8 or ESc or command+s before loading, but nothing happens. Computer just starts loading, at first grey apple logo then blue screen and thats all. Now will try to put MacDrive and try to remove natit.kext and mkext and kextcashe remove that way. Still dont understand why I cant get into terminal.... Will be glad for any help.

Was trying also runing terminal while booting with OSX install disc, but dont know how to switch to hdd. Command "cd" seems not working in installer terminal.

Just puted on my computer Club3D Nvidia GeForce 6200LE (ven - 10de; dev - 0163).

Which version of OSx86 are you running?

After puting Natit_Dual_v0.02 at first time system crashed with that message in 4 languages to keep turn off button.
This is called a "kernel panic".

Was trying also runing terminal while booting with OSX install disc, but dont know how to switch to hdd. Command "cd" seems not working in installer terminal.

I think this should work. If you type:

cd /volumes
ls

You should be able to see your hard drive.

Thnx for such a fast replay. I was trying list dir and other commands and forgot about command ls. Thnx again, will try to boot with install dvd and then in terminal will try as You wrote.

Im using 10.4.8. kernel 8.8.1. Installed from JaS DVD (not updated).

I got back VGA mode (i moved GeForce.kext and Natit.kext (from Natit_Dual_v0.02.zip) to different folder.

Installed Natit_Uni_1.0.pkg.zip ... and everything loaded fine, and was QE/CI supported, except one big problem - width and high was changed with each other. Imagine - in system preferences under display properties I got: 480 x 640 and so on... and such a display is showing - like slim... because in Europe we have width x hight. But in system preferences resolution is high x width. I even cant see mouse pointer, so slim is display... I could change those numbers places by myself only I dont know in wich file they are written.

Installed Natit_Uni_1.0.pkg.zip ... and everything loaded fine, and was QE/CI supported, except one big problem -

I even cant see mouse pointer, so slim is display...

This sounds like the problem I had when trying to use one of the other Natit versions (see the first post in the this thread).

You may want to try some other verions of Natit like v0.01, you also might want to try v0.02 again. I would search this forum for reports of others who have worked with video cards similiar to yours to.

So I could try install Natit_Uni_1.0.pkg.zip and then replace and play with Natiti.kext ?

I would start with a clean 10.4.8 install and then manually install Natit.kext. as per the instructions at the top of thread.

And other question - in Natit 0.01 and 0.02 I shoud change device id and vendor id manually?

Perhaps, if they do not otherwise work.