ATI mouse tearing - a new and better solution

L_X

81 posts in this topic

Ok, I updated the scheme after finding out that in order for the trick to work it is enough to have a cursor image which is more than 64 pixels either wide or high. It is a bit less processor intensive now, and the bugs I had with Q2D are gone. The "retarded square" effect I had when scrolling with smooth scrolling disabled is now almost hardly noticeable. Go to the first post for updated version.

It is real cool. Now it is running better than before.

However, the program still deactivate for a period of time. I cannot find the key in the serialbox.

Well I tried the new version of the mighty mouse pointer file and it works better than the last one... now I get some tearing but if I move the window back and forth it gets better... so I'll stick with iCursor... just he'll get to compile it for intel soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I came here to get the blank Mouse Locator .png and happened to see this thread.

I am setting Callisto up on this sse2 box (did a clean install from my new 4.8 iso ) and it is old,the cpu has 256kb l2 and is 1.7ghz with a 400 fsb.

I was really dreading Mouse Locator because it would kill the cpu.

This solution is the best I have found to date.It is using none of my cpu and by none I mean 0.00% in activity monitor.

Congrats for the great job.This is going to be what I recomend to anyone with this problem from here on out. (until something better comes along lol ).

I have to say I came here to get the blank Mouse Locator .png and happened to see this thread.

I am setting Callisto up on this sse2 box (did a clean install from my new 4.8 iso ) and it is old,the cpu has 256kb l2 and is 1.7ghz with a 400 hgz fsb.

I was really dreading Mouse Locator because it would kill the cpu.

This solution is the best I have found to date.It is using none of my cpu and by none I mean 0.00% in activity monitor.

Congrats for the great job.This is going to be what I recomend to anyone with this problem from here on out. (until something better comes along lol ).

Yeah, this one is the best solution for solving Mouse tearing problem!

Thank you L_X who found it and supported us to use it!!! :thumbsup_anim:

Well I tried the new version of the mighty mouse pointer file and it works better than the last one... now I get some tearing but if I move the window back and forth it gets better... so I'll stick with iCursor... just he'll get to compile it for intel soon.

Hi Helios, I've the same, weird window corruption problem as you...... Actually Ambrosia's Screen Cleaner Pro works even better!! Tooooooooooo bad it's an April gift...... ;)

iCursor do the job but takes almost a min to start and make the cursor flicking when point to hyperlink....

hopefully someone developes something in the drivers that could possibly stop this without the use of external applications, it's been far too long now.

• 2 weeks later...
Great fix.

I'm running JAS 10.4.8 DVD install (Intel+AMD) on a Dell GX620 with ATI X600 with fuly working QE/CI and this solution resolved mouse tearing effects...

Many Thanks! :pirate2:

May I know if you can change resolution to 1280x1024 with this ATI X600 card?

May I know if you can change resolution to 1280x1024 with this ATI X600 card?

Yes! No problem with that.

I could change to any resolution supported by my monitor. But I have rolled back to 10.4.6 without QE/CI because i couldn't get my network card to work in 10.4.8. =/

I've tried something similar to this before. Does this make the mouse flicker when moving it? What about doing Open GL thigns like games, when you come back, is the mouse all torn up? If this solves both of those problems I'll have to figure out how to get the koverg patch working on my x800 again.

(I'd try this out right now rather than post, but I'm at work...)

Ok, Installed after I got my x800 working again. This is a GREAT fix! Good job!!!!

EDIT: Just ran Warcraft 3 (since it is now Universal) and when I quit the mouse was still intact. However, when I use expose or hover over a link, it goes to the crazy, shreaded mouse we all fear. Other than that, this is a flipping great workaround! nice job!

Edited by aquanutz