Leopard Build 9A321 has leaked!

ComputerNap

193 posts in this topic

Forgive my ignorance... but is there any way to get this leak besides OiNK?

and, if there isn't, would someone be so wonderful as to offer me an invite? :hysterical:

Well, it was on OiNK, but the user who uploaded it took it down. So really not many people have it.

hi. just got it installed. :happymac:

the zfs command is included, but gives a

internal error: failed to initialize ZFS library

the zfs man page is the same that is here: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-2240/6n4htdnpr?a=view

in disk utility there is the option to format a drive in zfs format, but i haven't tried yet (and no, it is not bootable. maybe in the future…)…

disk utility has also a "resize" button, that can used only on guid partitions table. it is, obviusly, based on the same engine used by bootcamp…

and yes… the new installer sucks. :)

i hope that it is not a final version… no, i'm sure that it isn't.

also the installer packages' format changed: they still have extensions like .pkg and .mpkg, but are totally different. for example they are no longer "packages" but single files…

safari is really fast, but renders the pages very bad.

i just installed it (and i need to reinstall for some reasons that i'm not going to explain…) and that is what i noted since now…more to come. -_-

Now using this new leopard build, and got to admit it is really nice. Apple slightly changed the finder "highlight color" to a lighter more aquay blue ( i dont know if they did this before).

Please take picture of the new highlight color... Thanks.

Edited by SeanM

Guys, we all want to try it.

Please stop begging for it now, it's annoying.

Thanks.

We'll have it in a few days/weeks, anyway.

And builds after Macworld will have much more secret features enabled.

Your first post and you are telling us what to do ??

*ehhhmm*

I've got this build now, if you want to see screenshots and information help me install it. It's 5.47gb and I don't have a dual layer DVD drive, so can't burn it.... I've already got a 15 GB partition (with Vista on it) that I can overwrite.

Once I get this installed I'll answer your questions/requests.

Edited by SeanM

@SeanM

do you have an ipod that you can restore the dvd image to?

Yeah, can you walk me through the steps? I have a free partition on an external HDD as well.

edit: macbook and ipod 5th gen (video) 30gb. not sure if ipod is bootable since its not firewire.

Edited by SeanM

hope this ZFS file system is good

I use ZFS on my Sun Blade 2000 connected to a very cheap ($50 on ebay) Sun D1000 JBOD container. There are slots for 12 disks, and you can use 9Gb, 18Gb, 36Gb, or 146Gb disks. Makes a nice bit of space with dual PS, dual SCSI ports, etc.

Anyway, to create a ZFS filesystem is a peice of cake:

# zpool create nameofpool raidz c0t1d11 c0t1d12 c0t1d13

This simple command creates a software RAID 5 pool with all the corrected partitions, parity, stripes, etc. I've been running and using this stuff for many months now and it IS awesome stuff. No errors at all, and I am storing some huge file (.movs, .avis, etc.), as well as running a MySQL db from one of the ZFS pools.

At any rate, I am glad to see Apple adopting this technology. Once the abilty to use ZFS on boot disks happens (supposedly in the next release - though some folks are running it now in one form or another - google zfs boot), I predict that EVERYONE (except M$) will be running this stuff (certainly Apple, but various Linuxi won't be far behind.

Its alright , firewire or usb. Right click the leopard image and go to "open with" then click disk utility. Make sure your ipod songs are backed up since you will lose them. Go to the restore tab. Drag the leopard image as the source and the ipod as the destination. Uncheck the "check checksum" box and check the erase destination box. Then hit restore. Boot off the ipod or external hd. If you decide to do the partition of the external hd, i think it needs to be in the guid partition map, but it doesnt matter with the ipod. Boot off of it and install to wherever you like except make sure the destination is in the guid map (your macbook hd will be in this already). Once youre done and open itunes with the ipod connected it will ask to restore it. After that you can put your stuff back on it.

Its alright , firewire or usb. Right click the leopard image and go to "open with" then click disk utility. Make sure your ipod songs are backed up since you will lose them. Go to the restore tab. Drag the leopard image as the source and the ipod as the destination. Uncheck the "check checksum" box and check the erase destination box. Then hit restore. Boot off the ipod or external hd. If you decide to do the partition of the external hd, i think it needs to be in the guid partition map, but it doesnt matter with the ipod. Boot off of it and install to wherever you like except make sure the destination is in the guid map (your macbook hd will be in this already). Once youre done and open itunes with the ipod connected it will ask to restore it. After that you can put your stuff back on it.

Thanks for your help :tomato:

-------

Found some things which have not been mentioned before. The last build I've used was WWDC one though so perhaps not all of these are new in 9A321...

Finder contextual menu changed a bit:

324580289_f769a1cb87.jpg

TextEdit and it seems like all Cocoa apps now have grammar checking and stuff:

324577739_bc5180da22_o.png

324577735_1cbd59ba79_o.png

Safari Session Saving:

324579071_beb6d8aec6.jpg

Calendar widget shows iCal events:

324584204_a52d12bd65.jpg

Safari offers Google Search for 404 pages: http://static.flickr.com/136/324579074_a3df1db1f5_o.png

Automator new UI: http://static.flickr.com/134/324579072_9bd04c2b5b_o.png

if anyone wants me to try something just ask...

Edited by SeanM

I am confused about ZFS. Can I store more data on the same size HD if I am using ZFS. As in, if I format my 250GB HD to ZFS (that I dont need to boot off of) could I store like 1 TB on it? Thanks in advance

Have you noticed the new "pkgutil" command and the new Library/Receipts/db/a.receiptdb?

Now you can list what files the packages have installed and you can uninstall them

with

pkgutil --unlink package-id

Unlinks (removes) each file referenced by package-id. WARN-

ING: This command makes no attempt to perform reference

counting or dependency analysis. It can easily remove files

required by your system. It may include unexpected files

due to package tainting. Use the --list command first to

double check.

Edited by dago

@Fizzeh, No you cannot do that. Remember how filesystems like FAT32 have a limit of 4 gig files and usually in windows the capacity of any partition is 137 gigabytes in Fat32. Well, ZFS has a gigantic capacity for partition size meaning that you if you had a petabyte or even bigger drive, would be able to use the ZFS filesystem on it. Yet we do not have such big hard drives these days.