Tablet PC from apple?

Artistan

24 posts in this topic

Heard the rumor about apple releasing a table PC sometime in 2007.

Just thought that wouldn't it be great it they team up with Wacom

and made the screen pressure sensitive just like their Clintiq tablet.

Now much of a plus for any other application that graphic design,

but I think that would be really cool!

It's not just Wacom that has those touch-screens. They can create their own.

It's not just Wacom that has those touch-screens. They can create their own.

Wacom or not, just anybody. As long as it's capable of what a graphics tablet can do.

Creative freedom carrying a tablet pc/laptop, and you can do all the design work

on your lap.

I've been waiting for apple to release one for a couple years! not only are they good in design, but i bet a lot of students and other professionals (docs, lawyers) would find them useful. I'd like to have one for college next year. It would make it a lot easier if I could keep all my notes in one place, MS OneNote really is a powerful app. I bet something similar for OSX would be sweeeeet :) I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't know how it became from a tablet pc to a touch screen pc... well it's almost the same.

But I meant something more like this.

Sorry if it looks weird I just made this in 10 min.

Keyword: Like a wacom tablet.

So more like a portable laptop with built in graphic tablet.

post-24162-1166092799_thumb.jpg

Edited by Artistan

• 3 weeks later...

The ModBook looks fine.

Im loving my HP TC4200 but they are more notebooks converted to notepads ;-) . A merged hardware/software solution as a Hybrid or Convertible for concept artists and 3D modelers, scientists or engineers for example would be very nice and would please the "traditional" tablet market and open up new ones depending on the way of software integration.

Apple if you read this. Take a look at my wish list : :P

Such a machine should of course include Wacom (precisely and battery-less) technology preferrably with the possibility to use stuff like airbrush pens , tilt support etc...

The so much used CTRL, SHIFT, ALT Keys etc. should be usable in Tablet-Mode via Keys on the pen and/or Keys on the Tablet or a new input device !

An internal/external 3D controller something that could be based on Gyro technology similar to the Wii Controller or something like 3d-Connexions SpaceTraveler

An enhanced Jog-Dial that could be helpful in editing (audio/video)

Things like gesture recognition for the pen and for a integrated webcam etc.

a smaller second lcd (touchscreen the primary display without or switchable touchscreen) that could be used for all palettes etc. if needed. it should be attachable if needed or so thin that it doesnt disturb. This display should be optimized primarily for battery usage und cost effciency or an upgrade option.

Apples Gesture patent should be used ;-)

The Usability of the whole system in Tablet Mode should be priority 1 and the integration of the mentioned new input technologies into OS-X would offer a big step forward in Tools like Z-Brush, Maya and of course OS-X itself with a well done software integration/design of the hardware ...

basically something Microsoft would never do as a COMPLETE/USABLE package

Ok, ok Im stopping this now... but think of the possibilities with enhanced pen, gyro, gesture, 2nd display etc. ... and things that would be impossible under windows except at a experimental level

... waking up and starting to wait for the ModBook and perhaps ... it will become my new Tablet ;-)

Edited by morbidangel

There is a market for Tablet Computers. The major issue I see coming is how to make one that can be continually used without frying the screen (wonderful thing, processor heat is) or without having fans continuously screaming.

If those problems can be solved, then I can see Apple releasing a tablet that takes advantage of the solved issue. I still wonder how OWC is doing their TabletMacs though.

Jobs has never liked the tablet idea, and I agree that a MacTablet, as cool as it may sound, doesn't makes much business sense (the guys that make the modBook recognize that it is a small market, they specialize on that kind of stuff). If anything, apple may some day do a sub-notebook sized tablet of sorts or incorporate touch sensitive screens in the future (Like some fully working touch enabled desktop PCs that will be seen on CES running vista), but a fully fledged slate tablet as we currently know the concept, is doubtful.

PS: Wacom's technology is not for touch devices but stylus input, the second doesn't use touch, but rather RF signals to locate the position of the pointing device and transmit status data (pressure, tilt, button press, etc). it also gives energy to the pen through electromagnetic induction.

Edited by andazp

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know how it became from a tablet pc to a touch screen pc... well it's almost the same.

But I meant something more like this.

Sorry if it looks weird I just made this in 10 min.

Keyword: Like a wacom tablet.

So more like a portable laptop with built in graphic tablet.

damn, thats pretty good

Edited by Soundless

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, several people have now turned Fujitsu T421X tablets (And a TC4200) into Apple HacBooks with Wacoms integrated, via a modification of TabletMagic and the Serial Driver in OS X. When my T4210 is fixed, I'll be doing just that.

"Windows" TabletPC's usually come with a control panel mounted on the screen Bezel. Actually, the Control-Alt-Delete Combined button is a requirement of the Operating System. I'm guessing a similar thing could be implemented on a PenBook - And if I can, I (or another T4210 user) will make a driver for the button panel on the Fuji's, to do the same thing. (E.G. Esc; Dashboard; Rotate; Command; Control) to replace (C-Alt-Delete; Fn; Rotate; User config A; User Config :)

After all, the Control key is mostly used as a right-click, which is implemented on Wacom Pens anyway.

:thumbsup_anim:

• 1 month later...
Actually, several people have now turned Fujitsu T421X tablets (And a TC4200) into Apple HacBooks with Wacoms integrated, via a modification of TabletMagic and the Serial Driver in OS X. When my T4210 is fixed, I'll be doing just that.

"Windows" TabletPC's usually come with a control panel mounted on the screen Bezel. Actually, the Control-Alt-Delete Combined button is a requirement of the Operating System. I'm guessing a similar thing could be implemented on a PenBook - And if I can, I (or another T4210 user) will make a driver for the button panel on the Fuji's, to do the same thing. (E.G. Esc; Dashboard; Rotate; Command; Control) to replace (C-Alt-Delete; Fn; Rotate; User config A; User Config B)

After all, the Control key is mostly used as a right-click, which is implemented on Wacom Pens anyway.

:)

Let me know how this turned out. Really curious.

I'm actually thinking of doing something like this to my PowerBook G4, once I get my MacBook.

Look for a UK site called Bongofish - It's about converting Wacom tablets and LCD's into TabletPC's - one guy did it to a Powerbook, although it's hardly perfect. Another guy converted an iBook G4

http://www.macmod.com/content/view/166/2/

into an iTablet.

The T421X series are built as TabletPC's but they have a PCI bus with gaps, there are devices on busses 0,1,2,5,8 - but 3,4,6,7 are all empty and OS X stops enumerating when it finds that 3 is empty. So some key hardware (Wifi, SD/MS, CardBus) isn't working. I believe there are other TabletPC's running OS X that work better, a list is yet to be compiled.

Still, the Wacom works. :)

Although on the Powerbook - It may sound like a good idea, but there is a very high risk of destroying the machine - Be very careful. I considered turning my iBook G3 into a tablet, but it's far more valuable as a backup notebook in case my HacBook goes down (the T4210) It's saved my ass twice already - One of my lecturers cancelled half a week of lectures after his only laptop (Powerbook g4) died and left him without any resources to teach with.

Ok, here is the way I see it:

1. Apple hates tablets. Gates loves them. Screw a stylus concept, forget tablets.

2. Here is what they will do about it:

They will make Notebooks with multitouch instead of a keyboard. That way, you can easily turn it into a Piano, DJ-Desk, drawing board, everything you want.

They will still look like Notebooks, with two halfs. Why? You don't want to type where you want to look. Thats why tablets don't work.

Jm2c :P

They will still look like Notebooks, with two halfs. Why? You don't want to type where you want to look. Thats why tablets don't work.

Reality Distortion Field: As soon as you say they will, they won't.

You don't tend to type on a TabletPC - That's the whole POINT of handwriting recognition. Do you look at a piece of paper while you write on it? Of course you do!

And tablet's DO work. It's the point of every post I've made.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...