More stable build of Firefox

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
Here's a more stable build of Firefox, from the latest CVS and with a useragent fix :)

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
It doesn't work for me. FF starts, but then closes itself imediatly.

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
That happened to me too, the first time I ran it. But when I ran it again, it worked flawlessly.

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

That happened to me too, the first time I ran it. But when I ran it again, it worked flawlessly.

Thank you, man! I gave up to quick. No I tried it a second time and it works very well! I've used Deer Park Alpha 2 until now. Someone in this forum said, that it is very complicated to build firefox for x86, so you get my full respect! Please make a x86 version of FF 1.5 final when it's available.

Thank you very much!
urig-herb

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
It's actually very easy, exactly the same as how I did it on Linux ^_^

zfire89

zfire89

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
thanx works great

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
Tested on vmware. Worked off the first start. Going to native and I'm sue it'll work. Thanks for another port.

myzar

myzar

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
this is a trunk build you should build a branch build if you want something good and stable. The trunk atm is very buggy and unstable

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
well, I tried a branch build back when I compiled seamonkey, and it wouldn't run. So, I decided to just go with the trunk for everything. It seems to run well, even if it's based on pre-alpha code.

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
Also, if you want something more stable, you can always try the X11 GTK-based Firefox 1.0.4 build for Darwin x86 available here (Not compiled by me)

ut2211

ut2211

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thank you Pu7o! It seems to work well. :D

Is this version equivalent to Firefox 1.5 for windows?

DrJgermeister

DrJgermeister

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Interests:Sex, drugs and rock & roll

Thank you Pu7o! It seems to work well. :rolleyes:

Is this version equivalent to Firefox 1.5 for windows?

this version equivalent to Firefox 1.0.4 for windows:
http://www.gnu-darwi...x-x11-1.0.4.tgz

this version is build with CVS code (pre-1.5):
http://kernel.ws/~pu...fox-x86.tar.bz2
1.5 is not released yet

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
The MacFirefox-x86 one is pre-alpha code, for what will, in a year or so, become Firefox 1.6. Not 1.5 code at all.

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

The MacFirefox-x86 one is pre-alpha code, for what will, in a year or so, become Firefox 1.6. Not 1.5 code at all.

One big problem is the compatibility with extensions. Your 1.6a version works well, no crashes so far (besides the one at the first startup). But there are only a few compatible extensions available. When v1.5 final is there , we need someone to make a x86 version of this. It is more important to have extensions working than the few new firefox features in the 1.6a version.

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
If I'm still using Mac OS X X86 when 1.5 final is there, I'll probably make a x86 build. No promises though :rolleyes:

The only reason why I haven't build it based on 1.5b code, is that current gecko 1.8 does NOT run on OS X x86 AT ALL! I tried it, believe me, but it does not work! As an alternative, you can try setting the extension compatibility version to 1.4.1 so that extensions are compatible. (about:config ; go to extensions.lastAppVersion and put in 1.4 or whatever version you need)

ut2211

ut2211

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I've been using this port extensively all day long and I had only one crash (when I tried to edit a post of mine in Mac OSX 86 forum).
Otherwise this port rocks ;) and now Firefox is my default browser.

Great work Pu7o!!

melchior

melchior

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I've found this build to excellent over previous ones. Nicely done!

however... changing the LastAppVersion string does not fool the plugins i tested...

When you say gecko 8 will not run, does t mean the ppc releases are being built with an older gecko? thanks, you seem highly informed. =)

ZOleg

ZOleg

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

If I'm still using Mac OS X X86 when 1.5 final is there, I'll probably make a x86 build. No promises though :D

The only reason why I haven't build it based on 1.5b code, is that current gecko 1.8 does NOT run on OS X x86 AT ALL! I tried it, believe me, but it does not work! As an alternative, you can try setting the extension compatibility version to 1.4.1 so that extensions are compatible. (about:config ; go to extensions.lastAppVersion and put in 1.4 or whatever version you need)

Hi!!!
May be you explain howto compile Firefox from sources under OS X x86?
Whats patches needed? GCC version - 3.3 or 4.0? etc.
Thanks.

Pu7o

Pu7o

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 351 posts
I can't seem to make big posts here, so I created a free phpbb forum just for the sake of explaining how to build firefox:

http://www.hostingph...2&mforum=htbs#2

If an admin/mod could paste what I put in that thing in here instead, I'd appreciate it :D

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

I can't seem to make big posts here, so I created a free phpbb forum just for the sake of explaining how to build firefox:

http://www.hostingph...2&mforum=htbs#2

If an admin/mod could paste what I put in that thing in here instead, I'd appreciate it :D

Wow, this is great! Maybe you can post it in the wiki? And what exactly goes wrong with the 1.5 branch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy