EZ SSE3 10.4.8 8.8.1 VMWare Install Guide

wmarsh

14 posts in this topic

What you need:

SSE3 Computer

VMware (I use Workstation 5.5.3)

iso of Bootable earlier OSX install DVD (I used JAS 10.4.6)

iso of Mac OSX 10.4.8 AMD final (test 1 also tested and works)

daemon Tools

Make sure you do not have Intel Virtualization enabled in your BIOS

1) Create Virtual Machine to install. Tell VMware its Windows-WindowsNT. Make disk IDE, not SCSI. Allocate all disk space now. Set network to "host only".

2) During installation set Virtual DVDrom to use physical device, set it to drive letter of daemon tools

3) Close virtual Machine. Open vmx file with Notepad. delete all scsi lines. Add line paevm="true". Change sound.virtualDev to "es1371". Add ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000". Save File.

4) Mount earlier os x install DVD with Daemon tools.

5) Start Virtual machine. Set virtual BIOS to boot off CDROM. Boot earlier OS X. Use F8 -v

6) Start Disk utility. Partition virtual disk. Shut down Virtual machine.

7) Mount 10.4.8 AMD final with daemon tools

8) restart Virtual Machine. Boot F8 -v -vmware. Run install script NOT disk utility.

9) At reboot, change virtual BIOS to boot off virtual hard disk.

10) Shut down VM. Change ethernet to bridged and CDROM to auto. You now have a working Virtual Machine.

Addendum (thanks to Newtrax)

After installation, you can change boot flag in com.apple.Boot.plist from -v to -legacy

This keeps kernel in 32 bit mode, allowing you to enable Intel Virtualization

(not that it will help you run OS X in VMware, but then you can run other 64 bit OSs under 32 bit hosts.)

Further addendum:

In a 64 bit machine with Intel Virtualization enabled, you can use the technically correct OS choice "Other 64 bit OS" provided you use the -legacy bootflag. This installs ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000" by default also.

Edited by wmarsh

Here is VMWare to Native Install Guide

My machine is Dell E520 Core 2 Duo of 10.4.8 with 8.8.1 Intel 165b mb

Very difficult install as native booting not supported on SATA DVD drive.

What you need:

Partition Magic or equivalent

PTEDIT32.exe (undocumented bundled with Partition Magic) or equivalent

VMware (I use Workstation 5.5.3)

iso of Bootable earlier OSX install DVD (I used JAS 10.4.6)

iso of Mac OSX 10.4.8 AMD Test 1 (I applied ppf 1, there is a ppf 2)

Audio will only work native with supported PCI card (I have CMI8738)

Link for kext: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry47337

Bootloader of your choice (I use BootMagic)

daemon Tools

Linux rescue CDROM (I use SUSE Linux 10.0 disk 1)

Make sure you do not have Intel Virtualization enabled in your BIOS (factory default is off).

Do not change SATA from factory default in BIOS.

For triple boot system I use SUSE 10.2 x86-64 as it fully supports hardware.

Link discusses accessing hfsplus partition from Linux

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry22574

1) Use Partition Magic to make primary partition on 1st hard disk. Don't bother to format. I would also make a FAT partition for file transfer.

2) Run PTEDIT32.exe (in Partition Magic installation directory) to change partition type to AF

3) Create Virtual Machine to install. Tell VMware its Windows-WindowsNT. Make the virtual disk larger than your intended native partition. Allocate all disk space now. Set network to "host only".

4) Add another hard disk to Virtual machine; use physical disk,independant, persistant. Include your intended physical partition.

5) During installation set Virtual DVDrom to use physical device, set it to drive letter of daemon tools

6) Close virtual Machine. Open vmx file with Notepad. delete all scsi lines. Add line paevm="true". Change sound.virtualDev to "es1371". Add ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000".

7) Mount earlier os x install DVD with Daemon tools.

8) Start Virtual machine. Set virtual BIOS to boot off CDROM. Boot earlier OS X. Use F8 -v

9) Start Disk utility. Note size of intended physical partition in bytes. Partition virtual disk, making installation partition slightly smaller (in bytes) than the physical partition. Shut down Virtual machine.

10) Mount 10.4.8 AMD test 1 with daemon tools

11) restart Virtual Machine. Boot F8 -v -vmware. Run install script NOT disk utility.

12) At reboot, change virtual BIOS to boot off virtual hard disk.

13) Shut down VM. Change ethernet to bridged and CDROM to auto. You now have a working Virtual Machine.

The biggest advantage of this method is at this point, you can make any modifications you want in an attempt to support your hardware. (See F/U below for Dell E520)

When finished:

14) Put Linux rescue CD in drive. Boot Virtual machine off CD again. Use DD to copy partition to final location. BE VERY CAREFUL or you will screw your system.

Its a very good idea to check of with parted now:

parted

select /dev/hdb

print

quit

You want to copy to partition that is type AF

My example dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb4 (change 4 to number you see in parted)

(In triple boot system, you can instead do this directly from Linux. Then my example is dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/sda4)

It sits there for a while (20 mins for 12 GB) and gives you no feedback until done. Do not interrupt.

15) Close Virtual Machine. Add Partition to your bootloader menu. Reboot to physical OS X.

Results on Dell E520: OS X boots from SATA drive, but not completely. Stuck on "Still waiting for root device" message

This is a problem with 965 chipset, not method. My understanding is Leopard will support 965 SATA.

Added note: It does this even after adding the package for ICH8 support from Pion's package.

Tried adding Promise 133TX PATA PCI card and old PATA disk. Can install physical to this either with my method or TubGirl method.

However, have not been able to get either to boot at all yet. (Noone has said Promise card works)

So I am stuck with a VMware installation for now. Method may work for others.

Edited by wmarsh

In first guide, you are installing to Intel using JaS 10.4.8 Intel DVD.

In second guide, you are installing to Intel using TubGirl's 10.4.8 AMD DVD.

Shouldn't the 2nd one be the JaS DVD? Or have you tested the AMD installation on Intel?

In first guide, you are installing to Intel using JaS 10.4.8 Intel DVD.

In second guide, you are installing to Intel using TubGirl's 10.4.8 AMD DVD.

Shouldn't the 2nd one be the JaS DVD? Or have you tested the AMD installation on Intel?

No both use 10.4.8 AMD. I am using AMD disk on Intel.

I can't get JAS 10.4.8 to boot in VMware as its old semthex.

I use JAS 10.4.6 for disk utility, just because I had it convenient, although several others would work as well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Wmarsh

what does Jas 1.0.4.8 do when run from VMware? I have problems booting the installation natively from my notebook, 1.0.4.6 instead starts and installs.

So P965 doesn't have SATA working on OSX? And what about 975X?

i'm planning in buying a C2D and since I'll save something by choosin E4300 and cheaper memories, I could afford to buy a 975X mobo....

Hi Wmarsh

what does Jas 1.0.4.8 do when run from VMware? I have problems booting the installation natively from my notebook, 1.0.4.6 instead starts and installs.

So P965 doesn't have SATA working on OSX? And what about 975X?

i'm planning in buying a C2D and since I'll save something by choosin E4300 and cheaper memories, I could afford to buy a 975X mobo....

I never did get Jas 10.4.8 to install in VMware. So how can I say how it runs? I imagine it would run the same if it had the same kernel, etc.

Tubgirls disk works wonderfully in VMware.

I don't know what the disk controller is on a 975X. Would check the osx86project HCL list.

• 1 month later...

i use the same version of vmware and i use alcohol to do the iso, and upon booting, right before it actually starts doing stuff like ram disk and such a dialogs box shows up and says:

"Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA. You will need to configure your guest operating system to use DMA when communicating with DVD/CD-ROM devices."

How do i fix that? b/c everything else errors after this message.

• 5 weeks later...

Its probably me, but the list made no sense at all.

Is English your first language, I dont mean to insult, just coming from this at a newbies perspective.

You have 2 isos.

You create the vm as windows-windows nt. Which version is it?

You start, shutdown and reboot many times.

Also which iso at which time?

Can you make the instructions more clearer? I dont mean to be ungrateful.

Thanks

hi folks. maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

i'm running winxp pro sp2 on dell latitude d820 (core duo with 4gb ram).

vmware 5.5.3 and JaS 10.4.7 image mounted via daemontools.

i created a new virtual machine. 512mb ram, 6gb disk (space allocate as grow).

point the cdrom to the iso imaged mounted. set paevm to true, etc.

i can boot osx fine. when i get to the point where i need to select destination,

there is no disk to select. the 6gb vmdisk i created doesn't show up. i brought

up diskutil but still don't see it. only see the vmware disk with the iso cd image

under it. what did i do wrong?

thanks.

i can boot osx fine. when i get to the point where i need to select destination,

there is no disk to select. the 6gb vmdisk i created doesn't show up. i brought

up diskutil but still don't see it. only see the vmware disk with the iso cd image

under it. what did i do wrong?

thanks.

Right, hhssss what you need to do now is:

1. Start a new virtual machine in VMware Workstation

2.Instead of choosing "Typical", go for "Custom"

3.Click next and choose "Windows NT"

4.Change the following settings as you wish (I believe you know then already)

5.AND THEN! When it ask you to choose a virtual disk type, choose "IDE"

6.Allocate the space as usual.

7.You are done! You will be able to a new partition in the Disk Utility now!

It took me about 3 hours to find out this simple way, i myself is going to install it now. Good luck to both of us! :)

Right, hhssss what you need to do now is:

1. Start a new virtual machine in VMware Workstation

2.Instead of choosing "Typical", go for "Custom"

3.Click next and choose "Windows NT"

4.Change the following settings as you wish (I believe you know then already)

5.AND THEN! When it ask you to choose a virtual disk type, choose "IDE"

6.Allocate the space as usual.

7.You are done! You will be able to a new partition in the Disk Utility now!

It took me about 3 hours to find out this simple way, i myself is going to install it now. Good luck to both of us! :)

thx, I have VMWare 6.0 RC and I installed JAS 10.4.8.AMD+INTEL PPF1 "in" it...well it's running, I'd say not much speed, cant get any internet connection what ever I choose for the VMWare (Bridged, NAT, Host...)...

But don't care so much becuase even with now 890MB Ram OSX is so s l o w in VM ! I also installed Win2K and that's fast with only 512MB Ram. I guess OSX isn intended to run in VM.

I have to get another hard disk to try OSX on my new machine because the JMicron and ICHR8 Raid won't be found on any install DVD.

thx, I have VMWare 6.0 RC and I installed JAS 10.4.8.AMD+INTEL PPF1 "in" it...well it's running, I'd say not much speed, cant get any internet connection what ever I choose for the VMWare (Bridged, NAT, Host...)...

But don't care so much becuase even with now 890MB Ram OSX is so s l o w in VM ! I also installed Win2K and that's fast with only 512MB Ram. I guess OSX isn intended to run in VM.

I have to get another hard disk to try OSX on my new machine because the JMicron and ICHR8 Raid won't be found on any install DVD.

yeah I have just install it as well, and not surprisingly many things dont work: Sound, Wifi, even DVD drive. And yes it is slow, i gave it 1G of ram(out of 2G), still. I am searching for the drivers(Toshiba A100) and hopefully will be able to find them.

Not entirely relevant to this thread, but have you tried Ubuntu already? It's more VMware friendly, even though installing programmes sometimes get fiddling, but once you get hold of it, it's awesome! :angel: