Why are you still running OSX in a virtual machine?

33 posts in this topic

I'm just curious, why are people still running OSX86 in a virtual machine when it is relatively simple to get it up and running natively on its own partition? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I am just curious as to why this is still going on...other then using it for ongoing development

I'm just curious, why are people still running OSX86 in a virtual machine when it is relatively simple to get it up and running natively on its own partition? I'm not trying to be a smartass, I am just curious as to why this is still going on...other then using it for ongoing development

i guess so you can practice and analyze how various features interract between a virtual computer and lets say.... the way you can network it with windows and linux? and how to get various things operating and handled properly? that's just an example.

this is especially important if you're using only one home computer and want to have them on at the same time.

I don't do any of that though, I run mine native, and I don't network really.

I run virtually because sometimes I´m doing things in Windows, and just need to check/verify/see something on OSX86, and because I have always my PowerBook ready.

I run nativelly to test new patches/programs/benchmarks, but since is not all stable as I want i didn't use much.

Edit:

And of course if something goes wrong nativelly I can modify things within VMware, sometimes more effectively than boot in Single User Mode.

Well, that's one of the major benefits of virtual machines... NOT having to deal with dual/multi-boot configurations, and installing OS's on their own partitions, etc. I can run 3-4 different guests all at the same time, test things out, have different versions of application software, or different versions of OS's themselves. And, all just taking up a single directory on my host PC. I have 5 different versions of OSX I can switch between within a few minutes (just need to make some disk space, and unzip the VM's backup). How many can you run when you've installed it to its own native partition?

Seriously....Apparently you didn't see my acknowledgment of the VM approach with regards to utilizing it as a testbed for various situations. This is a perfectly legitimate approach. I just don't understand why anyone would go with a VM as their only approach to deploying OSX when the knowledge base on this forum gives explicit steps to go native and enjoy all the benefits of doing so along with all of the pure hacking fun that goes with working around the problems that ensue... chill out amigo

I run XP very occasionally and then only under Parallels on a hackintosh or my macbook or under VMware in Mandriva. I made a test install with Vista on the other day under Parallels, basically out of curiosity what all the fuss was about. Speaking for myself, I don't want any of that M$ junk natively on any of my machines. Hence virtualisation. I know, that was not exactly the question but anyway... :)

Edited by solaar

I just don't understand why anyone would go with a VM as their only approach to deploying OSX

Because OSX86 still is only a hacked system. On some systems it does not run very well, for example there is no solution yet for Intel 3945ABG.

I love OS X, I've even had a Macbook for a while but OS X86 is just not stable enough for me to install natively.

• 1 month later...

Pretty good reasons to run os x in vmware.

I cannot install mac os x natively because the boot process freezes while searching/configuring a "APPLEVIAATADRIVER" thing (don't know how to get over with it), so I use vmware to run os x. A bit slow though, but it's better than nothing...

Anyway, i'm trying to install it natively using SABR's guide http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11314

and I sure hope that it wll work..

Another reason for use virtual machine is to test new installations, if something is wrong you don't break your "principal" system.

hi, i'm asking elsewere in the forum because i would like to run natively two version of osx to make some tests, i ask you if is possible to do it. i will use a separated hard disk, but don't know which boot procedure will work, darwin or chain0 or no one and so i'd better to use VM.

Thank you and bye.

I think most people install on vm due to drivers issues. But since I work as a system engineer I run osx, debian, ubuntu, vista, freebsd and slax on my xp host. This is because we have all sorts of users to support. I don't like getting stuck with just one OS. In addition the more the better as I'll have a lot of choices to choose from.

initially i went with VMWare with 10.4.1. but now that i have two hdd to my disposal, i have two OS on two different hdd so one won't bother the other.

hi witzer, i'm sure i will do the same thing, i.e. using two different hard disk to install 2 osx. i ask you if you can tell me how do you boot the 2 osx, whith which method: the darwin boot loader recognise the 2 osx? or you have made a bootable back-up using the tutorial i've seen here on the forum?

please help me.

thank you and bye.