Any Success with Natit and MacPros?

RustyPitchfork

16 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Natit_ATIauto.kext with some success on a Mac Pro. I have a 7800gtx in slot 1 and the mac 7300gt in slot 3. With both cards it seems to work great. The only downside is if I remove the 7300, the 7800 goes dead. Also, QE didn't seem to work correctly on the 7800, dropping a new dashboard widget didn't create the correct water ripple effect, but strangely that resolved itself today.

Steps:

1. Download Natit

2. Copy Natit.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Open Terminal and...

sudo -s (enter your password)

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

4. Exit Terminal

5. From /System/Library/ delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

6. Restart computer

7. After the 1st startup I had to detect displays and have the screen rotate so everything wasn't flipped 90 degrees

Oops, I actually meant to comment on that...

Yes it behaves exactly as my 7300 does. Option brings up the OS select and everything. The first boot did have the monitor rotated 90 degrees, but selecting detect displays does fix it and you dont have to deal with it again. I'm goign to test multi monitor setup tonight.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I used the nitat uni insaller found here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Natit#Download

Edited by togusa

But do the firmware functions work? Do you see the Apple when you boot? Can you see your drive(s) when you hold down Option at boot?

I have to double check next time I reboot, but I know on my setup the 7800gtx doesn't show as much as the Mac videocard on boot up. It actually goes black for about 10 seconds where as the mac 7300 shows the login screen and the progress bar. The 7800 also goes black before loading Windows right up until the Windows welcome screen.

If I get my hands on an ATI card I'll report back on that.

Edited by legends74

aren't you pissed that you paid premium money for a kick ass x86 clone with a broken bios ? i would demand a full refund tho. Selling x86 clones with a broken bios should be illegal :P having to resort to use titan or natit to get mainstreams video cards on the macpro x86 clone is atleast hilarious . I don't get how these assemblers offering subpar compatibility can survive

Edited by myzar

You are onto something. . I've been a Mac/PC user for quite some time and when I heard they were switching to Intel I squealed like a little girl. But back in my mind i knew they would somehow 'simplify' the OSX experience so that it would be to our detriment.

It makes me want to choke Wayne Brady knowing that the current situation from Apple means that I can get more options from my Mac Pro by running XP on it than OSX. That is beyond rediculous.

So more power to you OSX liberators. I can't thank you all enough for helping my Mac be what it should have been right out of the box. :)

Edited by togusa

Absolutely on the money.

While this board has many "discussions" about what Apple is doing right or what Apple is doing wrong, I think we can ALL agree that this is something that Apple is doing wrong.

If I had a Mac Pro, I can put in a third party optical drives, hard drives, USB peripherals, but NOT 3rd party graphics cards? COME ON, APPLE!

My hackintosh in a G5 case mod (Hackintosh Pro) continues.....

Fix the Mac Pro, Mr. Jobs, and I will buy one right now.

• 1 month later...