Can 802.11n be enabled on new Macs?

TomA2

34 posts in this topic

For the most part, that would be a no.

It requires an updated driver to utilize the 802.11n functionality, one that does not currently exist under OS X.

Windows and Linux can use it as an 802.11n card through using a standard Atheros AR5008 Chipset Driver, but at the moment no one has written (rather published) one of these for OS X.

Sorry.

Just wait for MacWorld and you should get it along with iTV.

Everyone is right... but does it matter? The new Airport WILL work with every Airport equiped Mac, period. If you buy a draft switch or router it will work if Apple uses the draft spec, which they will because (imo) they will not wait until the end of 2007 for the final spec to release the iTV. Once the spec is finalized they may release an update for Airport and Airport cards. If you need to work with a draft device that will not be compatible with the final spec, then do not apply the firmware update to your Airport and Airport card(s). This is very simple. If I am wrong and Apple waits for the final spec than this will not be an issue for discussion.... My 2 Cents

haha i didint even know they werent working in mac side. i have bootcamp and it should work there if i am correct. well hopefully they wont wait to activate becuase then it will be anotheer year before it happens.

i was planning on buying a draft n router but now i might wait. and if they come out with an airport express that is 802.11n and that lasts longer than 2 years. alot of people's airport expresses burn out after a year or two. that is too much to spend for something that will break.

Edited by GBK.Xscape

802.11n STILL isn't standard. it won't be until late 2007... you're wasting your time and your money with the draft-n cards. they may or may not be upgradeable to final spec

WRONG. If you have a draft n card and a draft n router, you're set.

I mainly want the speed at home. I'm plugged in at work and everywhere else that already has g will stay at g for the foreseeable future.

Now I just need an Apple driver.

WORNG. TomA2 stop being such a {censored} and know what you are talking about dark4181 knows what he is talking about. it isnt STANDARD. that is why it is DRAFT N. sure if you have a draft N router then it will work but no one knows if it can be upgraded to the final specs of N when it becomes standard in 2007.

Sorry, but you are both WRONG.

He said: "you're wasting your time and your money with the draft-n cards" like they are going to expire or something.

If your draft n card is working with your draft n router NOW, they will continue to work with each other IN THE FUTURE regardless of what is adopted, or even if NOTHING is adopted.

Edited by TomA2

Sorry, but you are both WRONG.

He said: "you're wasting your time and your money with the draft-n cards" like they are going to expire or something.

If your draft n card is working with your draft n router NOW, they will continue to work with each other IN THE FUTURE regardless of what is adopted, or even if NOTHING is adopted.

some of the draft n cards can't be upgraded to final spec. that makes them a waste of time and money

• 2 weeks later...
some of the draft n cards can't be upgraded to final spec. that makes them a waste of time and money

No that makes it YOUR OPINION.

If you have a draft-n card and a draft-n router that ALREADY WORK, they will continue to work with each other REGARDLESS of the final spec.

DUH.

Why that is difficult for you to comprehend is beyond me.

Guest bikedude880

If you have a draft-n card and a draft-n router that ALREADY WORK, they will continue to work with each other REGARDLESS of the final spec.

DUH.

You are correct about products that are compatible with each other today, no question about that. What he is trying to say is that what you buy today may or may not work with the final revision of the 802.11N specification and that it is better to hold off on this if you want to have future compatibility. It's like playing Russian roulette right now.

You are correct about products that are compatible with each other today, no question about that. What he is trying to say is that what you buy today may or may not work with the final revision of the 802.11N specification and that it is better to hold off on this if you want to have future compatibility. It's like playing Russian roulette right now.

He said that because they might not be able to be upgraded that they are a waste of money. That's incorrect. Some people could care less.

Put it this way--where do I use the internet?

1. Home - This is the main place that I am looking for increased range and speed. I have a draft-n card and router. If they work together now they always will--regardless of what the final revision is--or even if there is NEVER a final revision.

2. Work - I plug into a wired network. Card upgradeability is a moot point.

3. Hong Kong/Shanghai - Most installs are 802.11b. (See: http://www.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot-hong-...ong-2200011.htm ) If I'm lucky, they might upgrade them to g over the next year. Upgradeability to n is meaningless.

4. Elsewhere - There are lots of b and g installs. It will be a LONG time before there are many n-installs. By that time, several years from now, you'll be able to get an n router for $20.

In the mean time, I will be running at the highest speeds possible in every location in which I work. So why was it that I should not upgrade to draft-n?

DUH.

becuz when i buy an N rated wireless network, i expect it to run at N rated speeds. from what i've heard, most of the draft-n cards only run at G-speeds, and may or may not be upgradeable to N-speeds

so why spend N-speed dollars on a G speed router? sounds like a waste of time and money to me.. if i wanted a G-speed router, i'd buy one, not spend extra dollars on a product that isn't any better

He said that because they might not be able to be upgraded that they are a waste of money. That's incorrect. Some people could care less.

Put it this way--where do I use the internet?

1. Home - This is the main place that I am looking for increased range and speed. I have a draft-n card and router. If they work together now they always will--regardless of what the final revision is--or even if there is NEVER a final revision.

2. Work - I plug into a wired network. Card upgradeability is a moot point.

3. Hong Kong/Shanghai - Most installs are 802.11b. (See: http://www.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot-hong-...ong-2200011.htm ) If I'm lucky, they might upgrade them to g over the next year. Upgradeability to n is meaningless.

4. Elsewhere - There are lots of b and g installs. It will be a LONG time before there are many n-installs. By that time, several years from now, you'll be able to get an n router for $20.

In the mean time, I will be running at the highest speeds possible in every location in which I work. So why was it that I should not upgrade to draft-n?

like i said, why spend N-speed dollars for G-speed networking? just buy a wireless-G router and save yourself $100+

does TomA2 have something stuck up his but hole? dam we were just saying that the draft cards may not work with FUTURE N routers but all he cares about is himself and his own dam router and card. and if you are such a genius at this at think that the DRAFT n cards are so awesome then why would developers still be tweaking with the design? so the card will have a bigger range. its based off of MIMO(Multiple In-Multiple Out. that is why it can get such high speeds.

does TomA2 have something stuck up his but hole? dam we were just saying that the draft cards may not work with FUTURE N routers but all he cares about is himself and his own dam router and card. and if you are such a genius at this at think that the DRAFT n cards are so awesome then why would developers still be tweaking with the design? so the card will have a bigger range. its based off of MIMO(Multiple In-Multiple Out. that is why it can get such high speeds.

Can you just drop it and go away? You've added nothing of importance to the thread. I'd appreciate it if you would not continue to respond here. You are welcome to start your own thread elsewhere and spread your opinions on the evils of draft-n. This is not why the thread was created and you and dark4181 continue to take it off topic.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Edited by TomA2

what i've heard, most of the draft-n cards only run at G-speeds

I get FAR better range with my draft-n router (though not better speeds) with my wireless card running at "g" already. I have tested this by swapping out the draft-n router with a g-router of the same brand.

like i said, why spend N-speed dollars for G-speed networking? just buy a wireless-G router and save yourself $100+

Not at home--WHERE I SAID I WANTED THE ADDITIONAL SPEED. Get a clue.

Edited by TomA2

According to Apple's website. the following Macs:

These Mac computers support 802.11n in the new AirPort Extreme Base Station using the included enabler software:

* iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo (except 17-inch, 1.83GHz iMac)

* MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo

* MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo

* Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme card option

Support draft .n with the new draft .n airport extreme base station and an enable that ships with the base station. So, a driver does now exist...