Mac OS X 10.5 9A326 Seeded

dago

106 posts in this topic

So is that to say ZFS will be a possible filesystem to run the OS on, or is it simply a new formatting scheme available for use?

Like, you can use Disk Utility to format something in FAT32, but you can't run OS X on a FAT32 volume. I wonder if ZFS means we will no longer have all the messy Spotlight index files and such, and if it offers any feature\performance benefits? Perhaps Time Machine integration?

I think that information is more interesting than a screenshot.

As I've read on other pages (spanish pages, therefore I won't link it here) ZFS is fully supported (including time-machine integration and spotlight) but it isn't bootable yet so you can only use as a non-system drive. Here you have the shot:

274853322oy1.png

I can't wait to try this *_*

Edited by NeSuKuN

ZFS sounds like a really interesting technology, i cant wait to try Leopard and experience some of the lesser publicized 'under the hood' changes that are so often more benifical to OSX than the bigger 'in-your-face' features.

I have read the Wiki article on ZFS and it sounds very impressive indeed. It sounds so impressive in fact that i would be keen to see it implemented as the default partition scheme in mac OSX. Would any developers like to speculate on the chances of seeing ZFS being used as the default in OSX in the near future?

Edited by TheMacDaddy

So is that to say ZFS will be a possible filesystem to run the OS on, or is it simply a new formatting scheme available for use?

Like, you can use Disk Utility to format something in FAT32, but you can't run OS X on a FAT32 volume. I wonder if ZFS means we will no longer have all the messy Spotlight index files and such, and if it offers any feature\performance benefits? Perhaps Time Machine integration?

I think that information is more interesting than a screenshot.

Well currently NO OS supports ZFS for the root file system.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS - ZFS is currently not available as a root filesystem since there is no ZFS boot support. The ZFS Boot project is currently working on adding root filesystem support.
Edited by JBracy

ZFS certainly is a future forward file system but how well will integrate with HFS+ and NTFS? From what I gather it's lac of compatibility with HFS+ and NTFS means it's far from be the defacto file system for OS X.

Surely though that's dependant on the system, not the filesystem it is running off?

Edited by Paranoid Marvin