Katana

captainsquash

137 posts in this topic

Bored Badger - Did OS X initially detect your card as 64mb (and after installing Katana it dropped to 32) or has it always been detected as 32mb?

On boot darwin always says 64mb. I'm not sure but I think OS X detected it as 32, cant be 100% sure though.

== Edit ==

I just backtracked and it does say 64mb with the generic vga drivers.

Edited by Bored Badger

Bored Badger - Quite frankly, joe75 is right, its not going to affect your performance much at all. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's seriously bugging you - you could try the Katana 0.3 unstable build (as that is using completely different versions of Callisto and AGPGart - it may change as you said this happened after you installed Katana) - but I would encourage you to wait for 0.4 if you can as 0.3 is a bit shaky on many systems.

zro - Sorry, a beta is not available at this time. I'd like to avoid the beta phase as much as possible too - I don't want to have a repeat of 0.3 :graduated:

0.4 files will be posted here when they are ready - I can't give an expected release date as my work schedule is very hectic.

MikeBee - As far as I can tell the prasys driver effort has come to a screeching halt - I haven't heard anything recent in that thread either. I also have halted work on a separate 9000 kext as I don't have a 9000 card (or hackintosh) to work with anymore. Things have been pretty busy around here so I haven't had time to create another OSx86 faring rig - but when I do I think I'll get back on it.

Bored Badger - Quite frankly, joe75 is right, its not going to affect your performance much at all. I wouldn't worry about it. If it's seriously bugging you - you could try the Katana 0.3 unstable build

I have tried but the script you have to detect if it'll work says its not compatible with my system.

Well I downloaded Katana and tried it out, I really liked the concept behind it, but for my specific graphics card the concept wasn't enough :)

Using the 9250 drivers on an earlier install, it worked perfect, I could set it at my monitors native, 1600, and everything went swell. This time around I decided I'd try and use your version to see if it would tweak a few things here and there that would allow more graphics to work, after rebooting, I went to choose another resolution and the monitor immediately died. One thing I don't really care for about OS X is it's previewing in some cases goes a little beyond previewing. Being someone that doesn't know OS X all that well, and after searching google many many times, I still could not figure out how to change your resolution without a monitor in OS X. With XP, all you have to do is wait fifteen seconds and it cancels the operation for you (quick side question, is there either anyway to do that in OS X, or is there any way to change resolution at startup before it loads the desktop?)

So not knowing, I just went ahead and reformatted, re-installed, updated, installed Katana, restarted, went to change screen resolution and 1600 put it in once again, dead monitor mode. Trust me, I really hate computers by this point, it's 5:30 and I'm still awake! Installed OS X four times tonight alone, so I'm going to go ahead and say that Katana did not work with my situation, although please don't apologize as it's me that's trying to run OS X on a crappy card. Trust me, I'd upgrade, but for some reason Dell mobos come with dual-processor capability, yet only a PCI slot... I guess moral of that story is always read the fine print, never assume!

Please please answer my questions about the screen resolution, if I get into OS X (it's installing AGAIN right now) and do something stupid again with the screen reso, this time I'm just turning that PC off for the night and waiting for one of you to respond, then plan accordingly. (Damn, my first post on here was bitching... that sucks, sorry guys!)

i finally got it working on 10.4.6, with no autodetection of my card (Radeon Mobility 7500)

Small "how-to":

Install katana 0.3a

Open terminal (sudo -s) and set the vendor id (0x4c571002) in CallistoHAL.kext

set permissions:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

Now i'll try to install 10.4.8 :D

i finally got it working on 10.4.6, with no autodetection of my card (Radeon Mobility 7500)

Small "how-to":

Install katana 0.3a

Open terminal (sudo -s) and set the vendor id (0x4c571002) in CallistoHAL.kext

set permissions:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto*
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AGPGart.kext

Now i'll try to install 10.4.8 :D

I guess you weren't able to get QE working on your card?

Is it because you have the Mobility version? Or because yours is a laptop instead of a desktop? Or is it something else?

I can't really help you with this since I have a 9000 Mobility, but I'm curious why you had to use Katana instead.

No QE unfortunately!

I'm not sure if is because i have the mobility one or because i did something wrong... maybe should I use the 10.4.1's drivers?

I had to use Katana simply because nothing else worked! I tried a million times doing it manually by the terminal, with callisto 003b and AGPGart but the boot always stopped after "Login Window Application Started". I could see the mouse pointer but nothing else (the same point of this picture)

I also tried with the Driver Pack I found on this forum but it didn't work.

So today I installed katana 0.3a, and mixed this installation with a manual one I found on the italian section of insanelymac and it magically worked!

By the way i have an Asus LC3000 laptop with Radeon Mobility 7500, 512 MB Ram, Pentium 4 M 1.8 GHz

(now i'm installing Jas 10.4.8... i'll post if it works on it too)

Edited by ElPaso

I apologize for my absence - things have been ridiculously busy for me.

Bored Badger and RaduKing - I thought the Katana 0.3 autodetect was pretty good at the time I released it, but... it isn't. Katana should work on your system, but the 0.3 autodetection algortithm will likely say it won't work on your system unless you have display@* or AGP@* in your ioreg -l output.

ElPaso - The Katana 0.3a build was designed to do this automatically - I'm surprised that you had to add those manually in order for it to work. At any rate, I'm glad to hear you got it working.

dSlifer - To force OS X to use a specific resolution at startup, do this (provided you can boot into OS X :D)

1) Open Terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal)

2) Type (minus quotes) "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"

3) Add this data to Boot.plist (make sure it is inside the <dict> </dict> tags)

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

The computer will now always boot with 1024x768 resolution - you could specify (provided your graphics card can handle it) any resolution.

But! If you can't get into OS X (or don't want to have 1024x768 all the time), you can either call -x at startup as emagdniM said or type (with quotes) "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" which will force the 1024x768 resolution until you reboot.

I reinstalled OS X hundreds of times too - I feel your pain :)

---

I'm intrigued by the apparent success you guys are reporing on a hybrid 0.3a install - I'll take a look at why this may be so.

ElPaso - The Katana 0.3a build was designed to do this automatically - I'm surprised that you had to add those manually in order for it to work. At any rate, I'm glad to hear you got it working.

As I said, my card wasn't autodetected, and Katana told me I have to add the ids on CallistoHAL.

The other command were necessary coz' osx told me CallistoHAL hadn't got the right permissions...

I'm trying to get everything installed on 10.4.8 but it seems it doesn't work...

I'm working on it now

update: i did again the very same stuff i did on 10.4.6 and now it just works fine, but no Core Image or QE

Edited by ElPaso

Woot! You guys rock. I fortunately won't have to test it right now, but I'll remember it for next time!

Everything looks pretty good with the drivers installed, I'm not sure if it's running actual QE or whatever it is you guys are always talking about, but it's a bit smoother and a lot of more of the applications actually run. Video is really choppy though, all video, even in a flash player on a site, which is annoying, any fix to that?

Edit: Nevermind, I believe I found it. I also think my video problem is as fixed as it's going to get, I just had to do the 3D Acceleration patch.

Edited by dSlifer

(cut)

Edit: Nevermind, I believe I found it. I also think my video problem is as fixed as it's going to get, I just had to do the 3D Acceleration patch.

3D Acceleration patch? What is it? For which video card?

cdickinson66 - Well, that sucks that it didn't work for you - unfortunately this procedure doesn't work for everyone, sorry. To undo the evildoings of a bad Katana install / your system doesn't like Callisto/AGPGart try this...

For 0.2c,

Open up the finder, in the Go menu at top type (minus quotes) "/System/Library/"

Drag Extensions.plist and Extensions.mkext into the trash, enter your password if prompted

Open the Extensions folder

Drag Callisto.kext, CallistoHAL.kext and AGPGart.kext into the trash, enter your password if prompted

Your system should now be back to normal after a reboot

For .3*

Open up KatanaDoctor (included in the 0.3 dmg file)

Type restore, hit enter

You'll hopefully see a list of restore points, when you installed Katana 0.3 it created a restore point for you - so there should be one that says "Autobackup: pre-0.3 configuration". Type the number corresponding to this backup and hit enter. It will then ask you if you would like to create a restore point for your configuration, in your case you'd probably say no. If all goes well your configuration will be restored, reboot after it is finished and all should be well.

ElPaso - Again, good to hear it's working. I misunderstood your above post.

dSlifer - 3D acceleration patch? This is news to me - is that another name for the Quartz 2D patch?

I just found what I was talking about, it was the first post over in the ATI Complete Guide, you talk about downloading some patch to allow 3D acceleration and then that guys code in terminal to run it. I did it and that actually helped my video problem, video wasn't choppy anymore, which was really nice. Being on a 9250 sucks :police:

OK correction!

I think it was working well sort of...

I found out the problem "crazy screen' was due to the fact that my .Boot.plist had the Graphics Mode set like before. This will not work with Kantana! I went in and replaced it with an old one. Got back to my Install.

Now I can see all the resolutions!

ARRRGHHHH! I selected 1280x1024 (I think) and the screen is now stuck on a warning message. Black with yellow letters that say:

"Cannot Display this Resolution Mode

Optimun Resolution is 1280x1024 60hz "

Even after reboot this is stuck on this screen.

What is the escape key???

-Charles