Katana

captainsquash

137 posts in this topic

Katana is a Callisto and AGPGart installer for ATI graphics cards. It enables OpenGL acceleration and may someday enable Quartz Extreme. Katana should only be used as a last resort (as there are usually various and unique fixes for most ATI cards). Katana is, in essence, a highly stylized shotgun approach.

Now that Katana has become much more popular, I figured a separate thread would be a good idea, and without further ado...

Ladies and Gentlemen of the OSx86 community, I present to you Katana 0.3!

Katana 0.3 brings a lot of new things to the table, but below are the main ones which you'll notice right away:

Intelligent autodetection

Katana 0.3 Uses a much smarter (per se) autodetection algorithm and has been incredibly accurate thus far.

KatanaDoctor Lite

The Doctor is in! KatanaDoctor Lite is a nifty app which enables you to take snapshots of your graphics configuration. You can back up multiple configurations (and add little notes to them too), and restore backed up configurations. A GUI version will be introduced in 0.4. KatanaDoctor automatically backs up your configuration before you install 0.3 so you can always go back to that if need be.

The latest and greatest kexts

I've always tried to keep to keep the Katana builds as up to date as I can, and this build is no exception. 0.3 includes a slightly modified Callisto 005 kext and AGPGart 2.1z.

I hope it works for you! The file is attached below in zip format.

:(

Release notes: (Stable = confirmed working by nearly everyone, Testing = latest release - but may not work for you, Dev = a release that could use a little massaging, you might want to consider alternate builds for the time being)

0.2c (STABLE) seems to be the old standby - no autodetection. Use 0.2c if you really don't feel like messing around with new builds and you just want something that works.

0.3 - (DEV) - bleeding edge kexts, new autodetection algorithm - Includes KatanaDoctor.

0.3a4 has been temporarily removed until support for AGP@* type cards has been fully implemented and confirmed working

Before you run the 0.3 Installer, run KatanaDiag.command (double click it) and make sure the autodetection test passes before you install. The autodetection script in Katana 0.3a installer is the same as the one in the KatanaDiag script, so it should install correctly provided it passes the test, but the installer has been known to take significantly longer than KatanaDiag in some cases

Katana_0.2c.dmg.zip

Edited by captainsquash

Hi cpt, thx for this new version. Just discovered it when I actually wanted to test your autodetection script. So what I did: I just tested Katana 0.3 :blink:

Unfortunately it does not do its job for me. Installation finally stops with the result "there was a problem installing this software". As far a sI could see, it was at the end of the actual install process. Repairing permissions did not succeed. After rebooting I was stuck with 1024 x 768 resolution. Installing Katana 0.2c brought back the previous status...

System: Ati9000 32 MB 4C66 with JaS 10.4.7...

Did you already contact prasys for talking about the driver issue? :blink:

Hi cpt, thx for this new version. Just discovered it when I actually wanted to test your autodetection script. So what I did: I just tested Katana 0.3 :blink:

Unfortunately it does not do its job for me. Installation finally stops with the result "there was a problem installing this software". As far a sI could see, it was at the end of the actual install process. Repairing permissions did not succeed. After rebooting I was stuck with 1024 x 768 resolution. Installing Katana 0.2c brought back the previous status...

System: Ati9000 32 MB 4C66 with JaS 10.4.7...

Did you already contact prasys for talking about the driver issue? :blink:

Alright, I suspected that this might be a bit shaky as its using a modified Callisto 005.

I'm going to release 0.3a later this afternoon which takes all the kexts used in 0.2c, but uses the 0.3 autodetect script and KatanaDoctor. Hopefully this should work for you as 0.2c seems to be the ol' standby :P

Thanks for your input.

Just realized, no where in the first posting (that I can see) does it tell exactly what Katana does for you.

Newbies might just pass it by due to confusion.

From the installer:

Welcome to the Katana v0.3a Installer!

Katana is a package designed to enable OpenGL acceleration (so you can run most of your favorite apps), make OS X think you have an AGP graphics card (rather than PCI), and add resolution-changing functionality.

Katana has been tested on different systems, but your mileage may vary.

Katana 0.3 uses Callisto build 003 and AGPGart 2.1t.

Hope it works for you!

-Captainsquash

... for ATI cards.

Added - good idea Rammjet.

I've added multiple builds of Katana and consolidated the important ones to the first entry. When new builds are created, they will be added to the post above.

I may end up creating a site or dev blog to keep track of the various builds if things get messy.

SnipinTerminator - Unfortunately Katana isn't designed to get QE enabled and because you already have a solution it might not be a great idea to install it. Perhaps I should put it in bold, but Katana should only be used as a last resort - if there are no fixes presently available for your card.

Secondly, please post your findings (good or bad) with Katana in this thread if you wouldn't mind. The only way Katana can get better is with your input. Thanks!

Using .3a4 on an ATI x200 (mobile). Auto-detection does not work. Had to manually edit CallistoHAL. Dynamic resolution change works (always has using Callisto beta 3 fixed). No QE/CI of course. OpenGL does not seem to have improved at all, still REALLY drags.

Bah!

My laptop finally did hit the dirt last night, it was pronounced dead at 3:00am after it failed my usual resurrection procedure and a few other desperate diagnostics. Surprise surprise, the motherboard was dead. It's arguably the most error prone part as everything is on it, and because of that its rather heavy on the greenbacks, the laptop is 4.5 years old, so I decided I'm (finally) going to get a MacBook Pro. I still plan to work on Katana (and other apps) and write a few guides here and there though.

Because I've got a lot of other (hopefully useful) apps I'm working on, I'm going to create a devblog and perhaps a SVN to keep tabs on everything. More to come on this as it develops.

Hey Captain,

I've been looking at postings with guys who have cards like mine, specifically a guy on this post and wondered if there was any way to modify Katana specifically the AGPGart kext to help get QE/CI and higher resolutions? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

EDS

At this point in time / to my knowledge QE& CI are not possible with the current versions of AGPGart and Callisto for the graphics cards we use. The 9600 approach is vastly different than the 9200, etc. approach at the moment.

Believe me, if I could make Katana do that - I certainly would've posted it.

No Callisto is not open source. There was actually a fairly large controversy when Omni pulled the downloads for a while back when he was still actively working on the project. I believe his Titan project is also closed source. If you are loooking for an open source alternative (to Titan) I would try Natit.

Also, there are no modifications to Callisto itself as it is closed source, its just that Katana w/ Callisto 005 (to-be discontinued) writes slightly different than usual terms in the info.plist file, specifically pertaining to EDID strings with regards to DFPs.

Katana is an installer only, merely designed to lend a hand if people aren't sure how to get OpenGL working. The real work is done by Omni and joblo for Callisto and AGPGart.

Edit: Also, work on Katana has come to a screeching halt until I get a OSx86 faring rig, but in the interim I set this up. User accounts et al will be fixed up soon.

Edited by captainsquash

hi,i just tried 0.3 and it didn't work for me as well

the screen become crazy after booting

i have to reboot it with -x mode and restore to the orginal setting,which is callisto 003F and agpgart 2.2

my system is ati mobility 9200(5C61)

it is grad to see the product you product is much easy install than we used to be.

pls keep going it as we all hope sometimes we can make our 8500 series more function

0.3 has been removed until it has been polished over a bit more - I think it may even be too buggy; even a development release. Use .2c for now, it may be slightly harder to use - but it seems to get the job done well (and consistently).

Again, I probably won't be able to release anything right away due to technicalities, but I think you'll be getting it relatively soon.

Also, do you guys like the idea of having a website designed to keep track of the Katana builds, or would you prefer this?

it is good idea to have a website focus on your katana, just like callisto and agpgart, so we can follow what you are doing actually and can find the new one much easier, yet i think you should keep posting the news to here as well, so some people might have the choice to find you

• 4 weeks later...

Well I haven't completely fallen off the face of the earth (although it may very well have looked like that)

My OSx86 dev laptop is still very much dead (I was able to find the problem but it was too costly to fix) - so work on Katana came to a noticable and sudden halt.

I plan to throw some parts which I have lying around together to make an OSx86 faring desktop - hopefully one capable of testing future Katana builds. In the interim however, I picked up a MacBook Pro to replace it this evening (such a fantastic machine!) and I plan to work on the GUI & scripting elements of Katana on it (and leave the testing for machines which can actually use/test it :pirate2:).

So - soon development will continue! I haven't heard too much from Neo lately - but I think we're going to do a "do not pass go, do not collect $200, go straight to Katana 0.4" approach.

Here's whats on the docket:

* Although the autodetection algortithm in 0.3 has been refined, it still leaves much to be desired (and is inescapably messy and sluggish). 0.4 should hopefully include a totally new algorithm from the ground up

* Scrap the installer package medium, create a standalone GUI installer (and a GUI for KatanaDoctor)

* KatanaRescue - An addition to KatanaDoctor which will assist in the creation of a bootable CD which can be used to restore your configuration if all hell breaks loose and OS X will not boot.

* KatanaUpdate - A GUI app (similar to Software Update) which checks for the latest version when run and can upgrade the present version of Katana to the latest one

On a side note: I've gotten a few requests to put up the dev and testing builds of 0.3 - they can be grabbed (Edit: attached below instead of mirror) below.

Hopefully you'll be hearing from me soon :)

Katana_0.3.dmg.zip

Katana_0.3a4.dmg.zip

Edited by captainsquash

A little teaser... :(

1cq3.png2zc2.png

3hw7.png4gd2.png

Nothing too profound - but just showing that work is being done (albeit a bit slow though - things are kinda busy)

Edit: Comment on anything you'd like changed or added - your opinion counts!

Edited by captainsquash