[How to] Fully working - Beta9 SSE2

mathdude1284

99 posts in this topic

im just checking to see if im on the right track here, Im still trying to remove those .kexts

if I boot my install DVD, and use the terminal to type:

"cd /volumes/OS X"

rm /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext

rm /System/Library/Extensions/IOACPIFamily.kext

it will remove them for me?

or will I need to use sudo before them to act as root. (is that even needed if you are acting outside the partition?)

for anyone that will say "just use VMWare or just use TransMac", I have tried to use TransMac, but I cant figure out how to acess my OS X partition.

for anyone that will say "just use VMWare or just use TransMac", I have tried to use TransMac, but I cant figure out how to acess my OS X partition.

its the lisbox right under if i remember correct, used it myself too without a problem

ok, with some help, I was able to get write acess to the drive with Macdrive 6. I deleted the offending .kext files like I was supposed to, but I stupidly forgot to back up my extensions folder. (yeah, I know, it was really stupid.) It is giving me a kernel panic for not having the AppleACPIPlatform.kext now, and I think thats because, instead of deleting, I was supposed to replace it with the old (10.4.7) version.

Can someone with a working SSE2 10.4.7 install send me the AppleACPIPlatform.kext located in thier extensions folder? the IOACPIFamily.kext would be helpful as well, but I amy not sure that I will need it right now.

thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should have searched more. found this in the 10.4 forum.

Got past the APCI issue. Move out IOPCICardFamily.kext. I am stuck a bit further waiting on root device now. Adding in the IOATAFamily.kext fixed issues with waiting on boot device. Have managed to get to single user mode now but keyboard doesnt work. GUI mode hangs at Login Window.

seems I was deleting the wrong things.

boot in verbose (-v) and tell us what it returns. That was happening to me, and I was getting a kernel panic from a few .kexts

if its the AppleACPIFamily or IOPCIPlatform, DONT delete those .kexts. instead, delete the IOPCCardFamily.kext.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35141

see post 13.

I deleted the ACPIfamily and IOPCIPlatform ones, and it wouldnt boot because they werent there. Now im trying to reinstall, but Disk Utility cant read the partition map. but thats a whole different issue.

I got it too :censored2:

same problem for me also, just boots up to that screen and hangs after using -v -f -x boot flags.

The update prebinding thing didnt seem to work properly for me though.

Using a terminal window in OS X AFTER repairing the permissions i typed:

update_prebinding -root /volumes/hd1 - force (hd1 is my osx partition)

and the result was that it started to do something, the hard drive light was flashing, then after about 30 seconds the hard drive light stopped and the command didnt seem to complete. It just sat there doing nothing. And even worse, the mouse cursor could move around very slooowly, but nothing happened when i clicked on things... I couldnt even click the reboot button from the JAS semthex beta9 update window in the background. :dev:

After waiting for ten minutes I realised it wasnt responding and so i powered off via power button, then booted off the OSX install DVD and issued the same update prebinding command which worked this time, but a reboot after that gets me to the same black screen others are seeing where it just hangs.

My feeling is that because the prebinding command doesnt seem to complete and therefore wont let me click the restart button on the JAS installer, not all files have been updated correctly.

Has anyone managed to work this out yet? :blink:

Thanks.

same problem for me also, just boots up to that screen and hangs after using -v -f -x boot flags.

and the result was that it started to do something, the hard drive light was flashing, then after about 30 seconds the hard drive light stopped and the command didnt seem to complete. It just sat there doing nothing. And even worse, the mouse cursor could move around very slooowly, but nothing happened when i clicked on things... I couldnt even click the reboot button from the JAS semthex beta9 update window in the background.

The update_prebinding command also froze when I tried it, but that actually wasn't the reason for my system hanging. If your system is hanging at the same point mine was then you might try the solution skeeter144 mentioned here.

My system was hanging right after displaying this:

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
PAE enabled
enabling INTEL features
standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us
vm_page_bootstrap: 126423 free pages
mig_table_max_displ = 71
Local APIC discovered and enabled
Enabling XMM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes
ACPI CA 20051117 [debug level=0 layer=0]
PASSED! ...maximum protection of commpage set ALL
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster IO buffer headers

IT WORKS. Thanks a lot to Semthex, Jas and all other people developing and/or helping.

MB : A8V Deluxe

CPU : AMD atlhon 64 3000+ (SSE2)

Graphic card : leadtek 6600GT : not working with titan (black screen with white dots) but FULLY working using the natit installer - just perfect (QE/CI...)

Concerning installation process this is what I have done (not the best way but it worked) :

1. backup up important datas (I actually was very trustfull to Jas and semthex work to install the new kernel on my working system considering it is the only one system I have ;) )
  2. backup extensions (very important)
  3. applying Jas update (AMD SSE2)
  4. repair permissions via the terminal
  5. boot with -v => i get this black screen with white dot instead of the GUI (meaning that the booting process was passed)
  6. boot again with -v -f -x => no more display problem but I saw my mouse (PS2) wasn't working
  7. boot using a DVD install :
    replace the ApplePS2Controller.kext in system/library/extensions with a previous one (from my extension backup)
    Move Titan.kext to somewhere else
    repair permission
    update_prebinding -root /volumes/MacOSX -force
  8. reboot : everything was working except sound (card not detected), Graphic card already recognized as NVidia
  9. chown & chmod on AppleAC97Audio.kext to get sound (i don't know why i had to do that but it helped)
  10. installing natit (using installer)
  11. reboot and I get a fully working machine (except sound i only have left channel, I'll try to fix this small issue later - i still doesn't understand as long as this kext was working before and doesn't seems to have been replaced durng the update process : same date/size...)

Well I don't know what if update_prebinding step was really necessary but what I saw is that PS2 controller (mousse) and titan wasn't working after this update. So I just have to fix these 2 issues to get the whole thing working. Maybe you can prevent this two issues befor the first reboot and avoid using the install DVD.

I now have to test every appz but Quicktime Itune, about this mac (speed is 0MHz), firefox, toast are perfectly working.

THANKS AGAIN :(

IT WORKS. Thanks a lot to Semthex, Jas and all other people developing and/or helping.

MB : A8V Deluxe

CPU : AMD atlhon 64 3000+ (SSE2)

Graphic card : leadtek 6600GT : not working with titan (black screen with white dots) but FULLY working using the natit installer - just perfect (QE/CI...)

Concerning installation process this is what I have done (not the best way but it worked) :

1. backup up important datas (I actually was very trustfull to Jas and semthex work to install the new kernel on my working system considering it is the only one system I have :whistle: )
  2. backup extensions (very important)
  3. applying Jas update (AMD SSE2)
  4. repair permissions via the terminal
  5. boot with -v => i get this black screen with white dot instead of the GUI (meaning that the booting process was passed)
  6. boot again with -v -f -x => no more display problem but I saw my mouse (PS2) wasn't working
  7. boot using a DVD install :
    replace the ApplePS2Controller.kext in system/library/extensions with a previous one (from my extension backup)
    Move Titan.kext to somewhere else
    repair permission
    update_prebinding -root /volumes/MacOSX -force
  8. reboot : everything was working except sound (card not detected), Graphic card already recognized as NVidia
  9. chown & chmod on AppleAC97Audio.kext to get sound (i don't know why i had to do that but it helped)
  10. installing natit (using installer)
  11. reboot and I get a fully working machine (except sound i only have left channel, I'll try to fix this small issue later - i still doesn't understand as long as this kext was working before and doesn't seems to have been replaced durng the update process : same date/size...)

Well I don't know what if update_prebinding step was really necessary but what I saw is that PS2 controller (mousse) and titan wasn't working after this update. So I just have to fix these 2 issues to get the whole thing working. Maybe you can prevent this two issues befor the first reboot and avoid using the install DVD.

I now have to test every appz but Quicktime Itune, about this mac (speed is 0MHz), firefox, toast are perfectly working.

THANKS AGAIN :P

That's wonderful information, for seasoned veterans.

Anyway to describe the steps for total newbies?

I understand the concepts of what you listed but am totally in the dark as to the method.

Thanks.

Anyway to describe the steps for total newbies?

Right (but I'm not a seasoned veterand).

What you need :

1. a working installation of MacOSX (mine was 10.4.8 already from Jas 10.4.8 combo update)
  2. Jas 10.4.8 update with semthex kernel beta 9 (choose the one you need AMD or INTEL).
  3. OPTIONAL : Natit installer from NeoPheus
  4. A couple of beers and luck

What I should have done (please don't consider it like a guide but what worked for me, I'm not an expert then I'm not sure it could work with everybody) :

1. backup up important datas (burn a DVD or something else)
  2. Open terminal :

1. sudo -s and enter your password
    2. mkdir /thenameofyourbackupfolder (create an extension folder backup - name it as you want)
    3. cp -R /system/library/extensions /thenameofyourbackupfolder (backup your actual extensions folder)

[*]Apply Jas update

[*]Go back to terminal and :

1. rm /system/library/extensions.kextcache
  2. rm /system/library/extensions.mkext
  3. mkdir /thenameofyourbackupfolder/8.8.1backup (create another backup directory to save some new extensions coming with Jas update)
  4. cp -R /system/library/extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /thenameofyourbackupfolder/8.8.1backup (if you have a PS2 mouse - this is to avoid a non working mouse to the next reboot)
  5. cp -R /thenameofyourbackupfolder/extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /system/library/extensions (still if you have a PS2 mouse - to get it working)
  6. mv /system/library/extensions/Titan.kext /thenameofyourbackupfolder/8.8.1backup (if you have it, to prevent display issue - that's what I get)

[*]Go to Utilities -> Disk utilities (I don't have OSX in english so i don't konw the exact name) and repair permissions

[*]Go back to terminal and type : update_prebinding -root / -force (see Rammjet post for more detail of this step)

[*]Reboot with -v -x -f flags : it should be working so you can try to reboot without flag

[*]If your computer is still OK and normally booting, your video card need some extra kext to work then you can use the natit installer to make it work (read the installation dialog box carrefully, this installer is very good and explain what to do in case of problem).

[*]Reboot again and you're done (well, that was my case)

I'm not discussing about small issues that can be fixed following instruction from other posts. For instance I solved my audio problem by re-replacing AppleAC97Audio.kext with the one that was working before, repairing permissions and now it's working.

hi Jas!

I want your help!

i installed your "intel...sse2...beta9".pkg in my 10.4.8(sse2 with 8.4.1 kernel) and repairing permissions for system disk,when i rebooting, the computer is stop on the line: "using 2621 buffer headers and 2621 cluster".

i try to boot with "-v -s -f -x platform=X86PC rd=disk...", but the The problem is still...

Whether i can Modification some Parameter to let the system startup?

please help me!

Right (but I'm not a seasoned veterand).

What you need :

1. a working installation of MacOSX (mine was 10.4.8 already from Jas 10.4.8 combo update)
  2. Jas 10.4.8 update with semthex kernel beta 9 (choose the one you need AMD or INTEL).
  3. OPTIONAL : Natit installer from NeoPheus
  4. A couple of beers and luck

What I should have done (please don't consider it like a guide but what worked for me, I'm not an expert then I'm not sure it could work with everybody) :

1. backup up important datas (burn a DVD or something else)
  2. Open terminal :

1. sudo -s and enter your password
    2. mkdir /thenameofyourbackupfolder (create an extension folder backup - name it as you want)
    3. cp -R /system/library/extensions /thenameofyourbackupfolder (backup your actual extensions folder)

[*]Apply Jas update

[*]Go back to terminal and :

1. rm /system/library/extensions.kextcache
  2. rm /system/library/extensions.mkext
  3. mkdir /thenameofyourbackupfolder/8.8.1backup (create another backup directory to save some new extensions coming with Jas update)
  4. cp -R /system/library/extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /thenameofyourbackupfolder/8.8.1backup (if you have a PS2 mouse - this is to avoid a non working mouse to the next reboot)
  5. cp -R /thenameofyourbackupfolder/extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext /system/library/extensions (still if you have a PS2 mouse - to get it working)
  6. mv /system/library/extensions/Titan.kext /thenameofyourbackupfolder/8.8.1backup (if you have it, to prevent display issue - that's what I get)

[*]Go to Utilities -> Disk utilities (I don't have OSX in english so i don't konw the exact name) and repair permissions

[*]Go back to terminal and type : update_prebinding -root / -force (see Rammjet post for more detail of this step)

[*]Reboot with -v -x -f flags : it should be working so you can try to reboot without flag

[*]If your computer is still OK and normally booting, your video card need some extra kext to work then you can use the natit installer to make it work (read the installation dialog box carrefully, this installer is very good and explain what to do in case of problem).

[*]Reboot again and you're done (well, that was my case)

I'm not discussing about small issues that can be fixed following instruction from other posts. For instance I solved my audio problem by re-replacing AppleAC97Audio.kext with the one that was working before, repairing permissions and now it's working.

I hosed it last night. I started the JaS update but I didn't yet have the details on backing up the extentsions.

I got a step out of order, I did the "update_prebinding -root / -force" before repairing the permissions.

When I tried to open disk utility the system locked up tight.

So I powered down then back on. It chugs for awhile then a box comes up telling me in several languages to hold the power button down until it shuts off. No matter how many times I restart the machine it always tells me to power down.

Am I going to lose my data? I had some stuff on there that I really don't want to lose.

I don't have a DVD drive in the machine (no room for one) so I have to rip the stupid thing from the rack and temporarily put on in it.

I presume that's the next step? I have the JaS 10.4.7 dvd that I installed from recently.

I am a total noob to osx though I have been using Linux for about 6 years.

I honestly do not know what I am doing and I am very appreciative of any advice.

Step by step details are magnificent, I'm sure I'm not the only noob around that needs a dummy guide for building a hakntosh....

Thanks!

Am I going to lose my data? I had some stuff on there that I really don't want to lose.

No I don't think so as long as you can boot from another OS and access to the OSX partition/disk and backup your datas... Do that first before trying anything else. If you have XP, try Macdrive it's a software that allow you to access HFS partition from the Explorer, for linux I don't know.

I don't have a DVD drive in the machine (no room for one) so I have to rip the stupid thing from the rack and temporarily put on in it.

Well you'll need to plug a DVD drive, at least temporary.

It chugs for awhile then a box comes up telling me in several languages to hold the power button down until it shuts off. No matter how many times I restart the machine it always tells me to power down

It seems that it is not a problem comming from your permissions. But try to give more detail, I never saw this box.

As long as it's a beta version AND the experimental one, and as you said yourself you're a totally noob (close to my posistion) you should try to wait a fully tested released and look for stable versions where there is a lot of support on it. After you'll recover your data format and reinstall 10.4.7 wich was working. I will do that myself for sure.

BETA testing shouldn't take a long time considering how fast are working all these developpers :D

But if you want to go further, try to connect to the IRC and ask for some help. There people could help you maybe.

No I don't think so as long as you can boot from another OS and access to the OSX partition/disk and backup your datas... Do that first before trying anything else. If you have XP, try Macdrive it's a software that allow you to access HFS partition from the Explorer, for linux I don't know.

for linux, at least Ubuntu, you can read an HFS+ partition out of the box. if your partition is journaled, it cannot write to it. Id suggest Macdrive in Windows though. Its by far the easiest to use. Ive tried both methods.

Here's what it tells me.

dscn3376lr0.jpg

I also have XP on a second drive in the same machine so I'll try the mentioned proggy to back my stuff up.

I am NOT a M$ fan and avoid using M$ at all costs but I have to keep a working copy for working at home. :thumbsup_anim:

As for the beta stuff, I don't care. More people have it working than not so that's good enough for me. :thumbsup_anim:

I sure hope I can salvage this thing, I would hate to start all over again.

P.S. is 768m of ram enough? I had 512m but dropped another 256m in the other day.

Arrrrrr!

Thanks!

Edited by BigMacAttack

Got it working with fresh install of 10.4.6. I installed the package (AMD) repaired premission updated prebinding rebooted worked smooth. About mac worked didnt need the old login.ap thing. Then replaced al the geforce an nvd kextst and added titan with the kext from a kext package from demon. After editing the files with my device id (004510de) ofcourse. Opened terminal deleted the opengl.framework and placed the one from the original 10.4.8 package. Did the root:wheel thing in terminal repaird premision tried prebinding gave an error. Rebooted and oops got QE/CI.

I have a AMD 3200+ cpu, Geforce 6800 GT. :thumbsup_anim:

Big thx to JAS, Semthax and the Titan dude!!!

Edited by lotp

• 2 weeks later...

0 Mhz Unknown reported in About This Mac window. System Profiler shows the right info thou....

Started up with Jas 10.4.7 DVD and update with the beta9 package. Im trying this on my desktop: P4 2.6 (SSE2), ASUS P4P-800 VM, Intel 865g chipset....

things looks ok and fine here

i finnaly decided to migrate 4.7 to 4.8 and sse2 semthex beta9 because i just cant waited more for using the new CS3 :)

well, divx and wmv cant play anymore on quicktime (i remember to see a soluction on it somewhere here)

about this mac shows 0mhz unknow too, but on system profiller its ok

i don't have any cheap card for testing tittan to give some qe/ci, so itunes 7.x didn't worked here (needed to downgrade)

shapeshifter got some bug with some themes

things apper to be more stable and no much and excessive kernel panics, ak: safari (i can use it now for long time again because this "nhaca" didn't crash so often)

i have forgoted to said: reboot works now :whistle: i dont need anymore to press my machine reset buttom after see the bluescreen with spinball LOL

I was replaced my windowlogin.app with older 10.4.7 one (like was describle on early topic), and apple buttom didn't works, so i change again with new one on 10.4.8 and things going to be fine again.

amazing work to JaS and Semthex

thanks to make it possible on my older sse2 machine :blink:

now just i need is a {censored} and cheapest Fx5200 to get some decent HOT qeci. cant wait to use itunes 7 :(