SSE2 ... please look inside

semthex

129 posts in this topic

It's not christmas yet but ... you have cried for it, here is the first screensht of it, taken with VMWare just a few minutes ago. I will try to configure the box for GUI now and put you some screens of it if I am done.

First experimental releases have been shipped to some testers for vertification. Beta 9 featuring SSE2 will come soon. :sorcerer:

Thanks to my brother rufus for the great help with analysis and stuff, without you this would not be possible that fast. :huh:

sse2emuoh6.th.jpg

Great, but i have a different opinion in this case. Of course we all appreciate your hard work semthex, you're one of the greatest contributors of this community.

But because of that, and because we all know you're very skilled, my opinion is that you shouldn't do a SSE2 kernel. There are just a few people with SSE2; and those who are with some of this old proccesors, its time to change. Proccesors are cheap. In my humble opinion, your time is really valuable and all the community will be improved if we all keep going with SSE3 kernels only, improving it all the time.

Of course im nobody to tell you what to do; im just saying what i think.

Thanks for everything again and good luck!

PS. I almost forgot my question, this "beta9" version will be "universal" with universal i mean, it will run both sse3 and sse2 proccesors? If so, will the performance be affected for sse3 proccesors or it will be completly transparent?

Great, but i have a different opinion in this case. Of course we all appreciate your hard work semthex, you're one of the greatest contributors of this community.

But because of that, and because we all know you're very skilled, my opinion is that you shouldn't do a SSE2 kernel. There are just a few people with SSE2; and those who are with some of this old proccesors, its time to change. Proccesors are cheap. In my humble opinion, your time is really valuable and all the community will be improved if we all keep going with SSE3 kernels only, improving it all the time.

PS. I almost forgot my question, this "beta9" version will be "universal" with universal i mean, it will run both sse3 and sse2 proccesors? If so, will the performance be affected for sse3 proccesors or it will be completly transparent?

I disagree. There are many people with sse2 only boxes. Remember back in the maxxuss days where numerous people would ask "will there ever be support for sse only?". Senthex has stated that he would like to have his kernel work with most hardware, contrary to what mifki stated.

You seem to have forgotten that the main purpose of this whole OSX86 project is being able to run Mac OS in our current PC's. I also think that your estimation of the amount of SSE2 users is quite inaccurate.

You seem to have forgotten that the main purpose of this whole OSX86 project is being able to run Mac OS in our current PC's. I also think that your estimation of the amount of SSE2 users is quite inaccurate.

Quite true. Also to upgrade many motherboards with 478 socket with SSE3 is either not possible or need to upgrade many more components(video, ram), instead of just one cpu to make it work better. There are many SSE2s are quietly, patiently and eagerly waiting for this to happen.

CanMac

Stop been racist.

Just coz SSE2 are a minority.

SSE2 != Race of human. The correct term is prejudiced. Also, why not provide some reasons why you think it should be continued? I'm not judging either side, but if you're going to counter-argue somebody, at least provide facts, reasons, theories, whatever, to make a counter-point.

Guest bikedude880
SSE2 != Race of human. The correct term is prejudiced.

And with that being said, I say we go back to the topic at hand.