Kernel update script (semthex 10.4.8)

46 posts in this topic

Hello B512,

you cannot run the script? Or it hangs on a specific part? Could give me more details?

I have coded a new version that has some fixes, including the fix to download the latest kernel from my webpage because semthex has changed his link. So by now we shouldnt have any problems.

regards,

hippiex

Edited by hippiex

Hi, Hippiex.

Well, as I start running the script, I think it blocks everything when it wants to backup the old kernel... but I am not sure... now I don't have time to check, because I have to run away... let you know later (and please let me know if you find something!) :rolleyes:

I am trying the run the script and it just keeps on telling me not connected, but if i look instde the script i see the website it is going to but this site does not seem to work i pinged on 3 different internet companies all i get is Unknow Host.

I am trying the run the script and it just keeps on telling me not connected, but if i look instde the script i see the website it is going to but this site does not seem to work i pinged on 3 different internet companies all i get is Unknow Host.

Ive checked what could be wrong, then unfortunately my server is offline. By monday it should be okay again.

We need mirrrors...

Regards,

hippie

Hello B512,

you cannot run the script? Or it hangs on a specific part? Could give me more details?

I have coded a new version that has some fixes, including the fix to download the latest kernel from my webpage because semthex has changed his link. So by now we shouldnt have any problems.

regards,

hippiex

Hey, Hippiex!

Now I have the answer to your question: before the entire process of copying/replacing the kernel starts, I get the following message in the terminal:

line 199: 1075 Bus error clear.

Then of course my screen becomes grey and I see the message saying that I need to restart my computer by pressing the power button etc...

Any idea about what to do?

EDIT: actually, it happens after I digit my password and press ENTER.

Edited by B512

Hey, Hippiex!

Now I have the answer to your question: before the entire process of copying/replacing the kernel starts, I get the following message in the terminal:

line 199: 1075 Bus error clear.

Then of course my screen becomes grey and I see the message saying that I need to restart my computer by pressing the power button etc...

Any idea about what to do?

EDIT: actually, it happens after I digit my password and press ENTER.

The reason this problem occurs is because of a 64-bit mess up. If you boot up the Mac with the flag: -legacy (which forces 32-bit) you wont experience the Bus Error; useful if you want to run any update scripts.

hi, sorry i'm still very new at this, I just updated, not knowing what i did, and obviously it didn't work, how do i revert back to the old kernel?

I know in the boot: I can ask it to load the mach_kernel.old, but how do I make this permanent? If i were to restart right now, it would use the new kernel again, which doesn't work currently on my pc...

I remember it saying that i needed to rename old file and get rid of the .old HOW DO I DO THAT?!? thx!!!

B-Chan

hi, sorry i'm still very new at this, I just updated, not knowing what i did, and obviously it didn't work, how do i revert back to the old kernel?

I know in the boot: I can ask it to load the mach_kernel.old, but how do I make this permanent? If i were to restart right now, it would use the new kernel again, which doesn't work currently on my pc...

I remember it saying that i needed to rename old file and get rid of the .old HOW DO I DO THAT?!? thx!!!

B-Chan

Hello, thats strange.... to fix it, open your terminal and type: "sudo cp /mach_kernel.old /mach_kernel" (without quotes). Now tell me about what you did so we can find out what happend because u r the first one to have problem with the update script.

regards,

hippie

Hey Hippiex! Wow! Thx for the awesome tech support here...let me see this is what i've done so far...totally cool...totally excited that i'm running a mac on my intel comp...my friends are going to flip!!!

1. I installed JaS 10.4.8 AMD.Intel + v1.ppf patch + v2.ppf patch

2. Got internet connected

3. Ran the script to get the latest update

4. I can no longer load apple anymore, under normal boot, I get stuck at the apple load screen, if i type in a -v i this this message, that scrolls over and over and over again on my screen (repeats itself VERY VERY VERY fast might i add)...I tried to get as much as possible on it here, but its being outputted so fast that i can't really see it...

launchid: /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow.port /dev/console exited abnormally: Illegal Instruction

just get that error over and over again, there are some others, but that dude is repeating too fast for me to catch the rest...sorry...i'll revert back to the old one and try the script again?

B-Chan

Thx for the help!!!

^^

I'm having the EXACT same problem as B-Chan. Although I installed using the Jas 10.4.8 AMD INTEL SSE2 SSE3 W/Semthex kernel 8.8.1

The script ran without a single hitch, Then everything goes like B-Chan described. Thanks.

I think there are some problems running the script because it tries to install an older kernel than the one in the newest Jas DVD.

The date on the kernel that is being downloaded by the script is nov 27.

Hello guys.. sorry for not answering before... but ive being really busy @work.

B-Chan: Are you using a AMD processor?

e-rick: maybe the diff date could be related to the date he compiled the kernel for his release... but ill check if theres something wrong...

Tommorrow ill post what i found.

Regards,

hippiex

hello people, I got a couple of questions....

Would this update install the new kernel from scratches? (I mean without any previous version of the 8.1 kernel installed), and is this a SSE2 or SSE3 kernel?....(actually I need the SSE2 K).

thanks.

Hey, sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner, but exams are keeping me away from moding my comp ><...just had to chose medical science...should have stuck with computers...so much more fun :D

as for my CPU, it's a genuine Intel Pentium 4 CPU. I know AMD's are known to cause a few blips with osx86, but nope...it's an intel...

it could be the kernel that was included with the installer. Is there another kernel that i'm suppose to instal from the DVD build seperately from just installing Mac OSX86 onto my computer?

B-Chan

FINALLY!!! IT`S ALIVE! IT`S ALIVE... look at my system profiler

Machine Name: Mac

Machine Model: ACPI

Processor Speed: 3.01 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Now I really NEED a install that works with my GRAPHIC CARD... X1600XT 256MB DDR3 GEOCUBE... NATIT... DO NO WORK! KATANA WORK BUT CAN`T REALLY CHANGE RESOLUTION.

Just little steep ... but I will get there!

Thank`s!

Hi All!

First off, a big shout-out of appreciation to all the helpful Guru's around these forums!

I wanted to know if this Kernel update script would apply to my Hackintosh setup or should I download the latest 10.4.8 DVD & start fresh?

My first install of OSX86 was the "Mac OS X 10.4.7 AMD/Intel (JaS) ISO Repack", which worked great. I then used a Delta update "JaS.10.4.8.Update.Intel.Only.pkg" (161.8 MB; no longer on Demonoid) to upgrade to 10.4.8 and have applied all [Apple] software updates since. However, my kernel remains Darwin 8.4.1 and have not interfered with the system since (no patches, hacks, custom Kext's, etc).

Would this patch apply to me since I never used the official Apple 10.4.8, only JaS' previously available 10.4.7 > 10.4.8 delta?

Intel Celeron D (SSE3, No NX)

Intel 865G chipset

Edited by MacProCD310

• 3 months later...

Hello guys....

sorry for saying this, but i no longer support this script.... too many things going on at my real life... :unsure:

You all can feel free to make any change to the code....

[]s

hippiex