I made a patch for people with 965 chipsets...

69 posts in this topic

Edit: If you have still waiting for root device errors, Just try rebooting, or play with the sata/ide settings in the bios.

On my Gigabyte DS3 the combo that worked the best was setting "SATA Native mode" to "enabled" and "Onboard sata/ide ctrl" mode to "IDE". Once in a while it'll still give the dreaded "still waiting for root device." After a reboot it would work fine.

-------------------

----

------------------

The patch is on demonoid. Search for "JMB" or "jmb osx" and it should come up (try with or without quotes).

You'll need a copy of the JaS 10.4.8 RESEED iso. The PPF program is in the torrent.

To use it (in windows):

1) open ppf-o-matic3.exe

2)drag the "JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.iso" into the white box to the right of "ISO File"

3) drag "jmb-patch.ppf" to the white box to the right of "Patch"

4) click "apply"

5) burn the iso, hope it works.

This patch should work with any motherboard that needed to edit AppleVIAATA.kext (and/or AppleAHCIport.kext) to get IDE to work and use a Jmicron /JMB controller.

More specifically if you added 0x2360197b , 0x2361197b , 0x2363197b , 0x2365197b , 0x2366197b to the above files, this should work.

Please keep in mind, this only fixes the install DVD. You'll still need to edit those files after you get a working install. If you install to an IDE hd, it will not boot.

-D

P.s. I have no idea if you can re-rip an already burned 10.4.8 reseed to iso and have this work.

Not sure. I couldn't get the JMB controller to show my SATA converted DVD, even in the BIOS a long time ago.

BTW, I'd like to hear reports of it works or not, and what board your using.

Also for those that can't get it to work, if it's possible to get support at all in the OS for the controller/drives then I should be able to add it to the installer.

Edit:

If you have still waiting for root device errors, Just try rebooting, or play with the sata/ide settings in the bios.

On my Gigabyte DS3 the combo that worked the best was setting "SATA Native mode" to "enabled" and "Onboard sata/ide ctrl" mode to "IDE". Once in a while it'll still give the dreaded "still waiting for root device." After a reboot it would work fine.

Edit:

If you have still waiting for root device errors, Just try rebooting, or play with the sata/ide settings in the bios.

Maybe such advice should be added to your guide in posting #1 so people don't miss it.

Please post link to standalone package (not ppf) for JMicron controllers!

It's not a package. The patch is merely a modified extensions.mkext put on the dvd. Rules prevent me from posting it even if it was a package. If you just need to get IDE support on an already working install, get PION's package from the DS3 thread.

If you want to build one yourself, a sloppy way to make it would be to:

Install do the fix to get IDE working on a functioning osx install (do everything, including the reboots and all)

Next rip/mount an image of the osx install disc. hdiutil attach yourisohere -readwrite -owners on

Then run: kextcache -a i386 -m Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

check the permissions on the ISO before you do this (you have to correct them manually with the install Image).

Copy the resulting Extensions.mkext to the MOUNTED ISO in /System/Library/

unmount the image and burn it. It'll only work on your system (might luck out with a copy others) but it'll work.

Keep in mind when I did all this, it was from a full functioning OSX install on the system I was making the disc for.

Check out this thread on my research on modifying the install discs

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=34688

it does not work in my hardware, is an ECS P965T-A :(

Are you at all able to get an osx install working on that board? IF so can you get IDE to work with some kind of patch?

If you can do the above, post the EXACT things you had to do to get IDE to work, and I'll do some tweaking.

Hey Thedguy, thanks for the guide :pirate2:

Installing osx on ds3 was such a chore

Looks like this patch coupled with the guide will certainly make it a lot easier!

Thanks again, I will give it a shot first thing tomorrow :pirate2:

Are you at all able to get an osx install working on that board? IF so can you get IDE to work with some kind of patch?

If you can do the above, post the EXACT things you had to do to get IDE to work, and I'll do some tweaking.

I'm unable to install MAC OS X, it looks like this ECS p965 board is incompatible, I tried with IDE to SATA converter and only load the apple logo mac when is loading but then stop and does not continue. I don't understand why :P

Maclancer: Your most likely getting a "still waiting for root device" error, boot the disc with "-v" (no quotes) and it'll tell you.

To do this, put the osx disc in the dvd drive, and when you see "press any key or press F8" press F8, then type "-v" (no quotes). It'll give you error messages.

If I am right, go into your bios, and goto "integrated peripherals" then "On board devices" finally you'll see "SATA2 Controller". Change the setting on that, if it doesn't work, change it again. I have no idea how many options that setting has on your board, but 1 of them is bound to work.

Maclancer: Your most likely getting a "still waiting for root device" error, boot the disc with "-v" (no quotes) and it'll tell you.

To do this, put the osx disc in the dvd drive, and when you see "press any key or press F8" press F8, then type "-v" (no quotes). It'll give you error messages.

If I am right, go into your bios, and goto "integrated peripherals" then "On board devices" finally you'll see "SATA2 Controller". Change the setting on that, if it doesn't work, change it again. I have no idea how many options that setting has on your board, but 1 of them is bound to work.

thanks thedguy!!! I will check and see what is going on, I appreciate all!!! :P

Edited by maclancer

Hi! I tried booting from the PPFed 10.4.8 reseed disc onto my IDE DVD drive attached to a JMicron controller.

My board's chipset is i945G (i know, i should've just plugged the IDE DVD onto the ICH7 IDE). I have plugged my 'PATA' disk on the ICH7 controller. However, even at this set up, booting onto PPFed OSX 10.4.8 reseed DVD gave me an error

System config'/com.apple. Boot.plist' not found

I believe I am not the only one encountering this error, based from the link

Just thought I would post my results. Backed into a corner, I was forced to try to use and Intel D965SS board. It is a no go even with this patch. I don't even get the "still waiting for root device" error. It gets to "ACPI: System state [s0 S3 S4 S5] S3" and hangs up at that point.

The same thing happens if I boot from HD using my 10.4.8 install done on a 945GNT board, the original 10.4.8 JaS Reseed DVD, or the patched DVD.

I believe it has to do with how your specific motherboard and it's BIOS enumerates devices. I believe that the Darwin boot-loader found on the DVD is only able to boot from one of the 16 first devices enumerated by your BIOS. So two cases exist:

1) Your MB enumerates the JMicron PATA DVD under 16 and adding the dev id like thedguy explained above will indeed help you.

2) Your MB enumerates the JMicron PATA DVD above 16 and your basically screwed. This means that it will not start to boot and no matter what drivers you've added to your Extensions.mkext on the DVD it will not work simply because you will not reach the state were those drivers are loaded.

I might be absolutely 100% wrong though. It is just what I've gathered reading forums on the FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Linux boot-loaders for people having trouble with basically the same motherboards that we are finding to be troublesome here. The other OSes have corrected this (or was it only FreeBSD?? can't remember) by adding support to the first 256 devices enumerated by the BIOS from what I understood. Maybe someone can rewrite one of the necessary boot-files found on the DVD?? Are they open-source??

@tomtefar: if it is indeed a bootloader issue, how do we know if a specific device (like the JMB controller) is under or above the 16th device? so that while there *might* be no workaround at the moment to use that controller, we already know right away. :rolleyes:

i hope it's not the IRQ, because the IRQ# of the JMB361 controller onboard is 19.

Edited by edmoncu

sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but.. I can't dload anything from demonoid, nor register (tried fridays) and always says I'm limited to 3 dl's per week, but I didn't dload anything yet! Could anybody send me the .torrent, or better yet, an invitation code for the demon?

Hi! I tried booting from the PPFed 10.4.8 reseed disc onto my IDE DVD drive attached to a JMicron controller.

My board's chipset is i945G (i know, i should've just plugged the IDE DVD onto the ICH7 IDE). I have plugged my 'PATA' disk on the ICH7 controller. However, even at this set up, booting onto PPFed OSX 10.4.8 reseed DVD gave me an error

System config'/com.apple. Boot.plist' not found

I believe I am not the only one encountering this error, based from the link

My patch won't do anything for this. Your not getting far enough to load "extensions.mkext". My patch only works if your getting "still waiting for root device" which means you were able to load the kernel and it's extensions.

Edited by thedguy

when i tried to boot this DVD on k8n-e deluxe motherboard with 2 hard drives one sata as secondary and pata as primary i got sme error message .......read only after some verbose display and then continously read only read only nothing more happens is this patch to fix this problem or my problem is some different i havent installed yet i was trying to install

My patch won't do anything for this. Your not getting far enough to load "extensions.mkext". My patch only works if your getting "still waiting for root device" which means you were able to load the kernel and it's extensions.
though it was mentioned explicitly on the first page, however, im finding my chances if it is possible that with this patch, i can install OSX onto a PATA hard disk connected to a JMB controller?

though it was mentioned explicitly on the first page, however, im finding my chances if it is possible that with this patch, i can install OSX onto a PATA hard disk connected to a JMB controller?

You can, but it won't boot. Once the OS is installed on the PATA drive, it doesn't have the kexts it needs to boot. If you can figure a way to load the kexts on there, it'll boot then.

sorry if this isn't the right place to ask, but.. I can't dload anything from demonoid, nor register (tried fridays) and always says I'm limited to 3 dl's per week, but I didn't dload anything yet! Could anybody send me the .torrent, or better yet, an invitation code for the demon?

Same here :)

Demonoid sux. Personaly I think that they are selling email addresses to the spammers.

Can anyone PM me a .torrent or upload .torrent to some normal server!

Regards.